IGNORED

Unreleased AFX flacs

Guest MortstoX

Guest Bramsworth

I contemplated visiting the forum earlier in the day but thought "nah, what're the odds anything new happened, and there can't be much interesting to see in the General Banter board that I can't see later"

now that decision has bitten me in the ass. :facepalm:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ansgaria

Really interesting indeed. And as Solo Strike wrote, it's merely sketches and experiments - or at least it sounds a hell of a lot like it.

For some reason I couldn't encode the track 01 and 06 from original FLAC files into .WAV files, damnit. They encode and appear on my desktop for a few seconds before just disappearing. Odd as hell.

Really interesting indeed. And as Solo Strike wrote, it's merely sketches and experiments - or at least it sounds a hell of a lot like it.

For some reason I couldn't encode the track 01 and 06 from original FLAC files into .WAV files, damnit. They encode and appear on my desktop for a few seconds before just disappearing. Odd as hell.

same experience here with #1 and #6. they do play in vlc though. no probs there. so dl vlc if you haven't alreddy.

Guest Calx Sherbet

thank you!

what's the unreleased SP that was mentioned earlier? was there a thread on i that i could be directed to?

Track 1 is good but dated, everything else sounded terrible, doesn't hold a candle to Squarepusher's unreleased tracks, not even close. Analord outtakes tracks weren't that much better, well, apart from Bodmin 3.

why apart from Bodmin 3? Your opinion maybe. I think Love 7 shits all over them, but thats my opinion.

Guest ruiagnelo

thank you!

what's the unreleased SP that was mentioned earlier? was there a thread on i that i could be directed to?

Track 1 is good but dated, everything else sounded terrible, doesn't hold a candle to Squarepusher's unreleased tracks, not even close. Analord outtakes tracks weren't that much better, well, apart from Bodmin 3.

you're comparing this

to a full album that just never got around to being released? , oy3v apples/oranges/peaches/plums

why apart from Bodmin 3? Your opinion maybe. I think Love 7 shits all over them, but thats my opinion.

Love 7 is good too but seems more a synth patch demo he was trying out, Bodmin 3 to me sounds more like a true finished track.

you're comparing this

to a full album that just never got around to being released? , oy3v apples/oranges/peaches/plums

I'm comparing this to his other unreleased tracks, this clearly isn't Melodies from Mars that's for sure (which was unreleased too).

this clearly isn't Melodies from Mars that's for sure (which was unreleased too).

Of everything her has done that is available online and otherwise, MFM was my least favorite until these.

With some artists, demos are a great find. For me, AFX demos just don't cut it.

I guess I find all of his proper releases to be so perfect that hearing something that isn't perfect depresses me. I know. I'm a bitch.

Now, Ceephax's website tracks, those are something special.

this clearly isn't Melodies from Mars that's for sure (which was unreleased too).

Well, you can't really compare MFM with these tracks. MFM was released by richard in a very small quantity for friends and such, and I recall Joyrex once said it was a sort of a promo for a ICBYD follow-up or something? So with that intention in mind he probably put alot more care into them. These are basically some random idea´s thrown on a tape, never intended for an audience. Still some good bits in here though, I like it!

Of everything her has done that is available online and otherwise, MFM was my least favorite until these.

With some artists, demos are a great find. For me, AFX demos just don't cut it.

I guess I find all of his proper releases to be so perfect that hearing something that isn't perfect depresses me. I know. I'm a bitch.

Now, Ceephax's website tracks, those are something special.

Yeah completely agree there, I liked MFM thought but that was in 2000 when I last heard it. I think most people would be disappointed in hearing AFX unreleased works on the whole, I have no doubt that he does release the very best and most polished tracks as opposed to what he says on interviews.

Squarepusher unreleased tracks on the other hand destroy everything, the warp20 is probably just a small section, he has a really squelchy acid track that he plays occasionally, found it! It's the first track.

QUOTE (GWC/RDJ @ Jun 3, 2008, 11:01 AM)

Hi, hope u r well

someone just informed us via watmm , joyrex(?) was planning to release a load of afx old unrel trx, - don’t do that! they will come out with a load more on a boxset or something at some point, best quality. If they r bootlegged prior to this it will scupper any plans. Wot say thee?

Cheers

Best regards

Grant & Richard

QUOTE (GWC/RDJ @ Jun 3, 2008, 11:01 AM)

Hi, hope u r well

someone just informed us via watmm , joyrex(?) was planning to release a load of afx old unrel trx, - don’t do that! they will come out with a load more on a boxset or something at some point, best quality. If they r bootlegged prior to this it will scupper any plans. Wot say thee?

Cheers

Best regards

Grant & Richard

lol

from the metadata:

lineage for tracks 1-5, 7-14: DAT (original)->cassette->?->MD->WAV via optical in/optical out->CD-R/WAV (as Data)->Staples (C0182V, MBI 80UG) CD-R/WAV (as Data)->computer->FLAC via EAC V0.99 prebeta 4 with external frontend (official flac frontend) track 6: track 6 wouldnt copy over from the CD-R/WAV that was burned for me, so i wrote to the same person who made the WAVs (Hijexx). He later responded with a link to the file and his message contained the following: "That's a FLAC created from the WAV I pulled from the MD via SPDIF." Original DAT ripped to cassette->?->MiniDisc sent to Joyrex, then sent to Hijexx->WAV via optical out/optical in from MiniDisc player to computer (no fades added). watmm forum post by Hijexx: When I transferred the MD to WAV, I used optical out/optical in to retain the quality as best as possible. The maximum amplitude on average was 55% of the available dynamic range. Add the tape hiss on top of that, and you begin to understand this was not a quality bootleg recording sonically speaking. Spectral analysis reveals that serious frequencies are cut off, this most likely happened at the cassette and MiniDisc phases. There are a few sets of mp3s for this album which are known to possibly exist, all are inferior to this copy. 1. a MiniDisc rip Joyrex did from an analog out from his MiniDisc player to the analog in on his computer, this has remastered audio, cleaning up noise 2. 90 second samples sourced from the above rip posted to the watmm.com forums 3. remasters of the 90 second samples by someone online 4. mp3s possibly sourced from the same WAVs these FLACs were made from It is possible that one day the DAT will be released and a much higher quality version of this will be made available. It is also possible that the kid who bootlegged the cassette has made a copy to CD avoiding the (most likely) lossy step of MiniDisc transfer. Certain tracks from this collection have been played live by Richard D. James during DJ sets and live performances.

Since my name's wrapped up in this release somehow I thought I'd chime in. I have an MD player with optical out and a sound card with optical in. Joyrex shipped me the MD, I performed a digital copy, then I burned a CD with .WAV files and shipped that back to Joyrex. That was around June of 2008. I got a PM from CATS in August of 2008 that Joyrex had given him a copy of the CD with .WAV files but he could not copy track #6 for some reason. I gave CATS a FLAC of track #6.

The original agreement with Joyrex was that I would not distribute these tracks, only do the transfer. Short of giving CATS track #6, I've stuck to my word. I figured since CATS already had Joyrex's blessing for having the tracks it didn't matter.

whatever happened to CATS? I haven't seen that name around here in a long time, wasn't he the guy who handled the downloads section organization couple years back.

Archived