IGNORED

post something controversial about you

Guest ezkerraldean

On 2/20/2023 at 8:45 PM, cruising for burgers said:

• twilight zone is also quite lame...

which one? if you say the OG 1960's one, then you are wrong. very wrong

• 6 months later...
On 2/18/2023 at 10:50 AM, usagi said:

I can't see anything in this article to get mad about. the 303 elitism is silly, true, but plenty of older producers hold those sort of views. AFX is on record as one of them.

the remark about the more choices being available the less he knows what to do is truly asinine though, and the mark of a hack. but he was only ever a hack, who made a few fun tunes back in the day which have a bit of nostalgia value now.

But digital clones of analog machines won't replicate the uniqueness inherent to each machine, due to timing and tuning quirks in the analog machines that just aren't present in the digital clone.

As for the paradox of choice, I mean that's a real thing: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/is-the-famous-paradox-of-choic,and lots of musicians have made similar remarks.

I don't think he ever pretended to be anything more than a dude making music to party to though? I mean the tag (motto? whatever) on his youtube channel is "eat,sleep,rave,repeat". Also I think (controversially??) that it's just a touch ironic to accuse him of 808 elitism and then turn around and call him a hack who only made a few fun tunes...

Plus Acid8000 is a banger:

• Like 2

I love getting my ass eaten but I'll never do it for someone else

I hate 99% of Venetian Snares fans despite being a huge Venetian Snares fan

I once deliberately scratched my brother's brain shaped Carcass CD for literally no reason

I fucking hate Tim Minchin

I find fat bellies in crop tops sexy

I don't believe in evil - I think most people just enjoy moral outrage because it makes them feel superior, and they are not actually good people

I think everyone should be naked and fuck freely in public

I'm extremely self-interested and I have to make a conscious effort to care about other people's feelings

I find most men annoyingly opaque and most women interesting and fun to talk to

I judge people who judge people based on their music taste or anything else other than the kind things they do

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think Aphex and Sqaurepusher are overrated. I find a lot of their music mind numbingly meh.

I love SAW II and I Care Because You Do. Feed Me... and Hard Normal Daddy are cool; for the most part. Those two Aphex albums hold a special place in my heart, they were an important part of growing up and music discovery, but otherwise, meh. 

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scaramouche said:

I think Aphex and Sqaurepusher are overrated. I find a lot of their music mind numbingly meh.

I love SAW II and I Care Because You Do. Feed Me... and Hard Normal Daddy are cool; for the most part. Those two Aphex albums hold a special place in my heart, they were an important part of growing up and music discovery, but otherwise, meh. 

Definitely the most controversial topic on the forum

i think different people like different parts of their discography for different reasons

it’s like being a goth, I used to think we all had something in common but actually some are left wing some are right wing some are cynical some are idealistic, some are really into the future some are really into the past.. everyone has different reasons

Edited by hoggy
  • Like 1

I don't really know what the Burger and Schopenhauer reactions mean... Think they aren't clearly defined, and are applied with personal wiggle room(?) But then, I'm a neophyte.

Is Burger something like "OK Yankee"? I got a message recently (not here) that was "Cool burger!" It was affectionate, but I still have to ask what it meant. I might just be totally out of the loop, but the entries for Burger over at urbandictionary only added to my confusion.

Schop: Is this "That's deep", or is it a sarcastic "Wow, so deep man", or is it "OK incel"? I've used it too, but not in those ways, I don't know if there's an "official" meaning.

Spoiler

Incoming reactions...

Edited by BlockUser
  • Facepalm 1

On 9/6/2023 at 5:44 AM, toaoaoad said:

I really hate the Think break. Well ok I don't hate it, the actual drum sounds are very tasty, I just hate the voice bits and I never understood why people actually include them when using the break. I mean cmon it's a break, you're already cutting it up, so why not exclude those bits? People actually like the annoying little chipmunk voice? I don't get it :trashbear:

How does this suit you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/6/2023 at 5:18 AM, logakght said:

I judge people based on the music they listen.

I did this most of my life, up until maybe 8 years ago. At its worst, I'd just ask people up front what music they listened to and would stand there and judge them worthy or unworthy of my time. Obviously some people have a great sense of humour, which would always be a green light and a backstage pass I would let through. Now I don't give a fuck. Whatever. But I do believe you can psychologically profile someone by the music they listen to. More so than films or books. Unless of course they have never read a book.....

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

I do believe you can psychologically profile someone by the music they listen to

Ok, my favourite musicians are Queen Adreena, Melvins and Venetian Snares. I also love Fever Ray, Throbbing Gristle, Ceephax, Strapping Young Lad, Hair Stylistics among other things, what’s my profile?

Edited by hoggy

4 minutes ago, hoggy said:

Ok, my favourite musicians are Queen Adreena, Melvins and Venetian Snares. I also love Fever Ray, Throbbing Gristle, Ceephax, Strapping Young Lad among other things, what’s my profile?

While I'm not a licensed psychologist, I can offer a general interpretation of someone's musical preferences based on what we know about these bands and genres.

1. **Complexity and Avant-garde Preferences**: All the listed artists and bands have a tendency toward experimentalism and the avant-garde. Queen Adreena has a blend of trip-hop, industrial, and alternative rock; Melvins are often considered pioneers in sludge metal and have a very experimental approach; Venetian Snares has complex time signatures and samples. This might suggest that the person enjoys intellectual challenges and complexity, both in music and perhaps in other areas of life.

2. **Taste for Darkness and Provocation**: Many of the bands mentioned, like Throbbing Gristle and Strapping Young Lad, delve into dark, provocative themes. This could suggest an individual who is not afraid to confront darker aspects of human emotion or experience.

3. **Eclectic Taste**: The list includes artists from a variety of genres, from industrial music to electronic, to metal. This suggests an open-minded individual who enjoys exploring different styles and cultural perspectives through music.

4. **Appreciation for Skill and Innovation**: Artists like Venetian Snares and Ceephax are known for their intricate rhythms and innovative approach to electronic music. Similarly, the musicianship in bands like Queen Adreena and Melvins is quite high. This could indicate a person who values skill and craftsmanship, as well as innovative approaches to art.

5. **Rejection of Mainstream**: Almost none of these bands could be considered 'mainstream pop'. The person likely values uniqueness and individuality over conforming to popular opinion. This might also suggest a skeptical or questioning approach to societal norms and perhaps an inclination toward countercultural movements.

6. **Emotional Intensity**: Bands like Strapping Young Lad and Throbbing Gristle create intense emotional experiences with their music. This could indicate someone who is comfortable with a wide range of emotions, or who uses music as a way to process or explore complex feelings.

7. **Intellectual Curiosity**: Given the experimental nature of many of these bands, the person may have a strong sense of intellectual curiosity that extends to trying to understand complex or unconventional music.

8. **Independent Thinking**: A preference for non-mainstream, complex, and often challenging music can be indicative of an independent thinker who does not readily accept information or values just because they are widely accepted.

9. **Sense of Rebellion**: Many of these bands have anti-establishment or counter-culture elements. This may point to a sense of rebellion or a desire for social change on the part of the listener.

10. **Possible Introversion**: Given the complex and often introspective nature of many of these bands, the person may be introverted or at least value time spent in deep thought or contemplation.

Again, these are just educated guesses based on the bands and musicians you've mentioned. Musical taste can be influenced by a wide variety of factors, including social environment, upbringing, and personal experiences, so it's always difficult to accurately profile someone solely based on their musical preferences.

Just by the solely fact that you really like Aphex Twin, I know we could be friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 3

19 minutes ago, hoggy said:

Ok, my favourite musicians are Queen Adreena, Melvins and Venetian Snares. I also love Fever Ray, Throbbing Gristle, Ceephax, Strapping Young Lad, Hair Stylistics among other things, what’s my profile?

I'd probably play devils advocate and say 'never heard of them', keep a slight distance but not so far that we cant be friends. All of time working out wether you are just a cool character OR A DISCIPLE OF HANNIBAL LECTER!!!

• Haha 1

@logakght pls do me 🙃 

I also love ceephax and strapping young lad, i could listen to biocyst and kanye for hours

I'm 40 years old and when i come home i listen to playboi carti, yeat and horna

Edited by Ivan Ooze
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, logakght said:

While I'm not a licensed psychologist, I can offer a general interpretation of someone's musical preferences based on what we know about these bands and genres.

1. **Complexity and Avant-garde Preferences**: All the listed artists and bands have a tendency toward experimentalism and the avant-garde. Queen Adreena has a blend of trip-hop, industrial, and alternative rock; Melvins are often considered pioneers in sludge metal and have a very experimental approach; Venetian Snares has complex time signatures and samples. This might suggest that the person enjoys intellectual challenges and complexity, both in music and perhaps in other areas of life.

2. **Taste for Darkness and Provocation**: Many of the bands mentioned, like Throbbing Gristle and Strapping Young Lad, delve into dark, provocative themes. This could suggest an individual who is not afraid to confront darker aspects of human emotion or experience.

3. **Eclectic Taste**: The list includes artists from a variety of genres, from industrial music to electronic, to metal. This suggests an open-minded individual who enjoys exploring different styles and cultural perspectives through music.

4. **Appreciation for Skill and Innovation**: Artists like Venetian Snares and Ceephax are known for their intricate rhythms and innovative approach to electronic music. Similarly, the musicianship in bands like Queen Adreena and Melvins is quite high. This could indicate a person who values skill and craftsmanship, as well as innovative approaches to art.

5. **Rejection of Mainstream**: Almost none of these bands could be considered 'mainstream pop'. The person likely values uniqueness and individuality over conforming to popular opinion. This might also suggest a skeptical or questioning approach to societal norms and perhaps an inclination toward countercultural movements.

6. **Emotional Intensity**: Bands like Strapping Young Lad and Throbbing Gristle create intense emotional experiences with their music. This could indicate someone who is comfortable with a wide range of emotions, or who uses music as a way to process or explore complex feelings.

7. **Intellectual Curiosity**: Given the experimental nature of many of these bands, the person may have a strong sense of intellectual curiosity that extends to trying to understand complex or unconventional music.

8. **Independent Thinking**: A preference for non-mainstream, complex, and often challenging music can be indicative of an independent thinker who does not readily accept information or values just because they are widely accepted.

9. **Sense of Rebellion**: Many of these bands have anti-establishment or counter-culture elements. This may point to a sense of rebellion or a desire for social change on the part of the listener.

10. **Possible Introversion**: Given the complex and often introspective nature of many of these bands, the person may be introverted or at least value time spent in deep thought or contemplation.

Again, these are just educated guesses based on the bands and musicians you've mentioned. Musical taste can be influenced by a wide variety of factors, including social environment, upbringing, and personal experiences, so it's always difficult to accurately profile someone solely based on their musical preferences.

Just by the solely fact that you really like Aphex Twin, I know we could be friends.

ChatGPT is so tactful haha, thanks for running that

• Like 1

I was the other guy in a married woman's relationship for about 5 years. she was 6 years older, married with 3 kids. she was in a loveless marriage with 2 mistake kids (twins). her husband had cheated on her before, so I really didn't feel bad about it. but risks were still high. most dickwad men don't like to find out their wife is banging some younger dude. was a lot of booty calls for 1st 2 years, then random one offs for the next 3. we did care for each other a ton, but knew it would never materialize past what it was. one of those what ifs a person experiences I suppose 

4 hours ago, zero said:

I was the other guy in a married woman's relationship for about 5 years. she was 6 years older, married with 3 kids. she was in a loveless marriage with 2 mistake kids (twins). her husband had cheated on her before, so I really didn't feel bad about it. but risks were still high. most dickwad men don't like to find out their wife is banging some younger dude. was a lot of booty calls for 1st 2 years, then random one offs for the next 3. we did care for each other a ton, but knew it would never materialize past what it was. one of those what ifs a person experiences I suppose 

the lovelessness, the prior cheating, the "mistake kids", the age difference, none of that really changes the fact that it's cheating, but I don't think that's your responsibility since it's not your relationship - I think it should be down to the person doing monogamy to uphold their relationship style or not - I realise that's not the popular opinion

however, adding those details makes me think you're trying to kind of justify yourself - which I personally don't think is necessary, however, if it's your personal morality not to sleep with married women, it sounds like you're making excuses

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hoggy said:

however, adding those details makes me think you're trying to kind of justify yourself - which I personally don't think is necessary, however, if it's your personal morality not to sleep with married women, it sounds like you're making excuses

that's accurate. morality does come into play here. I believed that what I was doing was wrong as opposed to right, but lust / physical attraction are powerful motivators of behavior. powerful enough to send a person's moral compass slightly askew.

anyway, the universe got me back for my wrongful actions. some years later I was with a different partner who cheated on me. I found out about it through a painful STD she gave me. once she admitted the cheating, I was of course upset and wanted to immediately end it. then I slowly realized this is karmic pay back for what I did previously. I am one who believes in these sort of things - karma, the interconnectedness of everything, what comes around goes around, etc. - and so I let it slide. 

• Like 2

AFAIK, the borger is an acknowledgement of dankness, whereas Schopenhauer is synonymous with "big brain time" or something.

Dankness in itself is difficult to adequately define in words though. But it generally involves memes of a surreal, absurd, and/or satirical nature.

Right. thanks for passing on your interpretations I didn't really think they had clear definitions. Never assumed bad intentions, and I love flexible applications. But it's also true that I still forget about the possibility to just search this board.. My brain is still reeling from years on image boards. Still can't believe 420chan is dead, it was a good place.