IGNORED

white kids and wu-tang

remy marathe

every indie music fan, electronic music fan, anyone vaguely nerdy, they love wu-tang. it's like an unspoken rule among middle class white males. is it the mythology built up around the group? the kung fu references? is this like the wire for rap?

i like them too btw. i'm just interested in this phenomenon.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may have to do with 36 Chambers being one of the best most innovative hip hop albums ever released? I'm just taking a shot in the dark here...

So why is it weird that people like it? I'm not understanding something here. White and black people alike adore Wu-Tang.

edit: Perhaps it's because you're only friends with middle class white people that you think this?

ah, an answer. thank you.

i do feel like wu tang was marketed in a way that most rap isn't. i meet people who can ramble off lines from c.r.e.a.m. but can't name a track on illmatic. something about that doesn't sit right with me.

Guest IDMDGAF

The Wu came through with 9 fucking Mcs, all with untouchable talent, and all in a completely different style, the beats were out of control dirty and completely groundbreaking, they released 4 classic solo albums right after the initial classic clan album.

everybody loves the Wu Tang clan because they are all lyrically dope and on point and every member brings their own (VERY varied) style to the table.

thats why white people/black people/kids/purple people like it, because it offers more than most hip hop outfits/artists.

wu tang is for the children.

i do feel like wu tang was marketed in a way that most rap isn't. i meet people who can ramble off lines from c.r.e.a.m. but can't name a track on illmatic. something about that doesn't sit right with meanyone who actually likes hip-hop.

As for your original question - combination of things mentioned in this thread: it's a great fucking album on all points, it was game changer, and it was marketed with immense skill. The Clan had a vision, and one of them obviously did some reading/took business classes cause they marketed their brand immaculately.

It's just good music, most people can tell.

nah man, its just silly white people liking good music after non-whites acknowledge its goodness. its all rigged. what i am saying isn't perpetuating institutionalized racism whatsoever

*end angry sarcasm*

miss the old wu

money watered down they game for sure

RZA gone full blown hollywood prick now

ghost and rae are the only ones still really holding it down in tha 11

Lotta my friends liked Wu-Tang back in the 90s. Drawing the logo everywhere and shouting "WU-TANG!" all the time. I never got into it, or the group. Always thought it was weird to go through their cd albums and see wu-tang next to dmb.

WUTANGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :sup:

every indie music fan, electronic music fan, anyone vaguely nerdy, they love wu-tang. it's like an unspoken rule among middle class white males. is it the mythology built up around the group? the kung fu references? is this like the wire for rap?

i like them too btw. i'm just interested in this phenomenon.

Proberbly an American thing. Not sure the Wu's fan base in Uk can be so generalised though I don't think the Wu caught on as much over here anyway. My fav thing they ever did was the Gravel Pit video, with some horny chick tied to a feeding post! That's about as Wu as I get lol.

as much of a fan I am of the wu, I think my favorite time of theirs was after 36 chambers. When they started releasing solo projects. I had them all and they were stolen from my car. i found it weird that those were the only cds they jacked... left everything else! I've been meaning to get them all again but I only got as far as ODB's CD. and I aint downloadin'... i'm old school!

I got into The Wu through jungle.

I think way back when (the 90s), I read something about how a lot of jungle tracks sampled the shit out of 36 Chambers (which I quickly bought and fell in love with).

:wutang:

Archived