IGNORED

Amon Tobin - ISAM

crono3

its good for the music though, right? just playing the advocate. i don't intend to argue about this, like everything else on the internet.

i really like tobin. i think i prefer his first few with the "stripped down" approach to the new style but i haven't really listened enough to speak on it.

tobin seems like an artist i should listen to more.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing it affects, is marketing. The music is already made. How he presents his approach to how he made the music that is already in existence, is pure marketing.

going off on a total tangent here : unfortunately 'marketing' in terms of distributing music is so intertwined with the image of a musician itself. these promo pics you see of musicians are purely marketing. This is why i respect people like Louis CK who when they put out generic black and white promo shots of themselves he subtitles them with 'me being a douche' because well it's kinda douchey and at least he's honest about it

(this above post was not in reference to Amon Tobin)

Beautiful, I cannot wait for this new album. Amon Tobin's always been a favorite of mine and this album sounds really promising. I'm confused by the interview though, he mentions it being a logical step from the foley recorded sounds in Foley Room, yet also mentions there are no samples? Does he mean there's no samples of pre-existing works like many of his previous records or that he is actually not sampling or foley recording anything? I always found the way he manipulates samples to be one of the strengths of his sound, especially on the Foley Room album.

Edit: this is the part I'm talking about.. his responses here are confusing me.

"in many ways it's a logical step from sampling to foley/field recording to now the synthesis of field recordings incorporating acoustic modeling and multisampling techniques amongst other things.

Q:What gear / interesting technology / secret sauce went into making the record? Was every sound sampled?

A:

the sauce is secret I'm afraid because much of the software and instrument build techniques I've either developed myself or adapted specifically for my own needs. so perhaps less secret than irrelevant to anyone else. in any case it's safe to say there are no samples on this record."

does this strike anyone else as contradictory?

He meant that he didn't sample anything. This album will probably be mostly similar to Foley Room and I'm more than happy about it.

I think he means he recorded all his own samples.

He meant that he didn't sample anything. This album will probably be mostly similar to Foley Room and I'm more than happy about it.

I kinda figured that's what he meant but I wasn't sure, if it is the progression in synthesizing field recordings from the techniques in Foley Room, I'm sure I'll love it (probably would even if it wasnt anyway Amon's never really disappointed)

• 1 month later...

Amon Tobin got a Kyma and recommended fingerboard by Carla herself

:cisfor:

still waiting for the actual Spectral Morph part, didn't notice it myself and it's kind of one of my obsessions (spectral morphing)

Archived