IGNORED

Amon Tobin - ISAM

crono3

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this album is pretty good, not really what I expected to hear at all, very sparse for an Amon Tobin release (much more so than foley room). I hope he does a 5.1 mix eventually. I think I might end up loving this after a few listens.

I warn you, there's a pop tune with full vocals that sort comes out of nowhere on there!

I heard it, I don't really consider it pop... it's not pop in the britney spears/etc... terms. Not even close, but it does have vocals. I like it

Guest hahathhat

but i miss the days when he made dance tracks instead of nature documentaries.

:lol: It's like these days all his tracks are "experiments", I guess I'm a bit attached to his Permutation-era work

it's like how these days, the graphics/fx on movies are amazing... but they seem to have forgotten about the rest. the music feels insanely hi-res, but there's not much song there.

out from out where was the turning point. i only *really* liked two or three tracks on that album; rest was meh.

amon, please take your jazz crates back out of storage !

I hear what you're saying about Out From Out Where, but I really enjoyed Foley Room. ISAM I'm liking so far and it's definitely growing on me more and more... Perhaps if he found a way to incorporate the experimental ideas he's been exploring into some of his jazzier roots, I imagine with his production knowledge and sampling skill that could be quite interesting

edit: Also the Monthly Joint series I found quite enjoyable.

so far im liking it a lot better than foley room. lots of kyma processing going on so far that's a lot better than what he had in that youtube demo

it's been a while since i've heard sound design executed in such a way. not since asect dsect by richard devine or Glo plastic by squarepusher

edit: the sparseness of this album doesn't bother me like it did in foley room i feel in this the songs themselves are nice repeating little compositions where as foley room the melodies and song flow was more meandering. the space between the beats in this works very well

Guest hahathhat

so far im liking it a lot better than foley room. lots of kyma processing going on so far that's a lot better than what he had in that youtube demo

i hope so, as i'm kind of past going all starry-eyed at the concept of a chair squeak being manipulated. i earned a minor in manipulating stupid recorded noises while high in college and i never made a fuss over it, why should he? i feel like he's discovered the fun of recording yourself yelling in an echoy stairwell and said fuck songs, i like "sonic experimentation"

the undersea video was pleasant, but not... exciting, i guess? which is what can be said for his last couple albums.

sounds like very distinct tell tale physical modeling synthesis on 'mass & spring' and 'calculate'

oh, it's out?

i hope so, as i'm kind of past going all starry-eyed at the concept of a chair squeak being manipulated. i earned a minor in manipulating stupid recorded noises while high in college and i never made a fuss over it, why should he? i feel like he's discovered the fun of recording yourself yelling in an echoy stairwell and said fuck songs, i like "sonic experimentation"

the undersea video was pleasant, but not... exciting, i guess? which is what can be said for his last couple albums.

i guess i find it interesting that originally he made music (Great music) out of all sampled/plundered recordings. It wasn't until foley room really that he started to seem to focus entirely on his own recordings (am i wrong?).

and i feel like i have some personal attachment to his new direction as well. Coincidentally Amon Tobin's post foley room direction seems to veer extremely closely to my own, mostly only conceptually, the result are pretty different.

i've made a few songs of my own devoted to metallic physical modeling synthesis

http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/assets/audio/gaseous-opal-orbs/PaletteSwapDub.mp3 , spectral morphing
http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/assets/audio/lying-on-the-floor/Morphing_Song.mp3 and lots of weird field recordings in a cutup electronic music style
http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/assets/audio/lying-on-the-floor/Crackly_Shell.mp3

http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/assets/audio/lying-on-the-floor/Liquefied_Break-dancing.mp3. I'm extremely curious what he's going to do next, because i would consider ISAM a refinement of his experiments

Guest hahathhat

i always figured he ditched the samples because he got famous, and suddenly lawyers were calling asking for licensing fees !

i doubt he's ever been approached by a litigious label, if Girltalk hasn't been sent a cease and desist letter yet i think the game is pretty much over, unless the labels use that spectral scanner :whistling:

edit: actually i'm about 75% the way through and i feel like the album does loose quite a bit of steam after Mass Spring

Guest hahathhat

the real question is,

does the new album have a track like four ton mantis?

or will i be disappointed again....

Guest hahathhat

i heard the leek girl song played over the PA at some scifi con; it haunted me for weeks. finally i posted to watmm and someone ID'd it from my rambling description of how i remembered it.

now why are you posting leeks ???

such a mystery......

There is no such track on this album, but it's a good album, his best in a long time. The last couple of albums you could hear he was going through a transition, there was something half assed about them, like he lost his direction and couldn't quite let go of his old tricks. This is him coming out on the other end. To me it sounds like he made the music for himself, and not to please his old fans. Thank god for that. I do love his old albums though, but if you want to hear four ton mantis, you can listen to four ton mantis.

Guest hahathhat

There is no such track on this album, but it's a good album, his best in a long time. The last couple of albums you could hear he was going through a transition, there was something half assed about them, like he lost his direction and couldn't quite let go of his old tricks. This is him coming out on the other end. To me it sounds like he made the music for himself, and not to please his old fans. Thank god for that. I do love his old albums though, but if you want to hear four ton mantis, you can listen to four ton mantis.

that's fair enough, actually, and the most hopeful review i've seen so far !

but i'd still give it a chance even if everyone said it was crap. :smile:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: I fucking love Calculate. I'm pretty sure it's a nod to Kraftwerk, with the title and similar melodies. I've never heard an Amon Tobin track with such a playful melody, yet it retains the top notch production of the rest of the album

I'm really digging it on first listen - because it has a sense of humor that is refreshing (as opposed to Out From Out Where which was pretty 'serious') I mean there's a freaking 'dubstep' bedtime story track

last edit: God damn it, I'm sitting here in studio smiling like a retard, because this is tickling my ears in all the right ways. FAT grin across my face

Archived