IGNORED

Bitcoin

Guest Funktion

• 2 weeks later...

"As alleged in the supporting affidavit, by reviewing the Bitcoin public ledger, law enforcement was able to track multiple transfers of bitcoin and identify that approximately 63.7 bitcoins, representing the proceeds of the victim's ransom payment, had been transferred to a specific address, for which the FBI has the 'private key,’ or the rough equivalent of a password needed to access assets accessible from the specific Bitcoin address," Monday's release stated. “This bitcoin represents proceeds traceable to a computer intrusion and property involved in money laundering and may be seized pursuant to criminal and civil forfeiture statutes."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/us-seizes-2-3-million-colonial-pipeline-paid-to-ransomware-attackers/

the FBI seized about half the ransom paid via bitcoin in that recent Colonial Pipeline debacle. turns out they 'had' (or somehow gained access to) the private key after of course tracking the transactions. so not only are they tracking these things but they can at least sometimes do shit about it. it's interesting watching all this play out.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, auxien said:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/us-seizes-2-3-million-colonial-pipeline-paid-to-ransomware-attackers/

the FBI seized about half the ransom paid via bitcoin in that recent Colonial Pipeline debacle. turns out they 'had' (or somehow gained access to) the private key after of course tracking the transactions. so not only are they tracking these things but they can at least sometimes do shit about it. it's interesting watching all this play out.

Likely they tracked the BTC to a wallet they had either owned (through hacking the hackers, not attacking the BTC protocol) or it was on an exchange that was cooperating with law enforcement. 

Also they should have used Doge.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:53 AM, Amen Lare said:

EL SALVADOR, MUCHACHOS! HERE COMES THE SAVIOUR! SUCK IT ATHEISTS!

LET'S GOOOOOOOOO

Been reading about Monero lately (I know bacteria approved it, duly noted), seems like a way forward by plugging holes in Bitcoin, no true analog to it thus far

https://moneroworld.com/whymonero.html

monero is great, it should be a part of everyones crypto

Its interesting to have the whole history of bitcoin in just a 19 page thread.

Elons cold feet on bitcoin (which imho is pretty genuine - at first he was propping up the 'bitcoin energy use is ok' idea but I think he looked into it further after all the headlines about Tesla damaging their eco credentials by holding bitcoin) might be a sortof turning point.

So as I understand it, Ethereum is the second biggest crypto and is on the cusp of transitioning to a much 'greener' proof-of-stake system. And from the little I've read up on Vitalik he seems like he's got his head screwed on right.

So - can someone who understands all this better than me offer an opinion - what are the odds on the Ethereum 2.0 thing working, and will Ethereum 2 then be the obvious destination for people who like the idea of crypto but dont like bitcoins energy use?

8 hours ago, zazen said:

Elons cold feet on bitcoin (which imho is pretty genuine - at first he was propping up the 'bitcoin energy use is ok' idea but I think he looked into it further after all the headlines about Tesla damaging their eco credentials by holding bitcoin) might be a sortof turning point.

So as I understand it, Ethereum is the second biggest crypto and is on the cusp of transitioning to a much 'greener' proof-of-stake system. And from the little I've read up on Vitalik he seems like he's got his head screwed on right.

So - can someone who understands all this better than me offer an opinion - what are the odds on the Ethereum 2.0 thing working, and will Ethereum 2 then be the obvious destination for people who like the idea of crypto but dont like bitcoins energy use?

ethereum is nothing like bitcoin and is not a repalcement of bitcoin.  i personally consider bitcoin ethereum monero the current status quo of essential cryptos.  bitcoin = store of value.  ethereum = flexibility of programming.  monero = privacy. 

• 5 months later...

Australian computer scientist Craig Wright prevailed in a Miami civil case that pitted him against the family of his late business partner and computer forensics expert, David Kleiman. At stake was half of both the 1.1 million bitcoin mined and held by Satoshi, a cache currently worth around $54 billion.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/06/miami-jury-rules-in-favor-of-craig-wright-bitcoin-claimed-inventor.html

8 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

Had Wright lost the case, he would have had to produce the Satoshi cache of coins in order to pay the estate. But Wright did say that he would prove his ownership were he to win at trial. He also promised to donate much of his bitcoin fortune to charity, were he to prove victorious.

hm, let's see if either of these things happen.

On 6/17/2021 at 10:04 PM, zazen said:

OP seems so optimistic, yet 10 years later it's just a pyramid scheme for losers lol.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/17/2011 at 10:02 AM, GORDO said:

make me bitrich: 13BRTUE2e2Krun67K5otWfa8q3Db5jvPex

So I wonder how many people in this convo is disgustingly rich now.

My wallet from that time is lost, probably have it on a hard drive somewhere, crazy to think ppl were giving away BTC for no reason (I got 0.001 from someone in the thread)

10 hours ago, GORDO said:

So I wonder how many people in this convo is disgustingly rich now.

My wallet from that time is lost, probably have it on a hard drive somewhere, crazy to think ppl were giving away BTC for no reason (I got 0.001 from someone in the thread)

hahaha you mean 0.01, it is worth $400 now

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/13BRTUE2e2Krun67K5otWfa8q3Db5jvPex

10 hours ago, GORDO said:

Yeah i checked after making the post, I remembered the value in dollars somehow but not the actual fractional amount.

dont worry i lost 0.N bitcoins that i deliberately erased during a bad trip