IGNORED

Bitcoin

Guest Funktion

Yeah... i probably lost the wallet forever. Is it a .wallet file? Last night I searched old hard drives for a wallet.dat file to no avail. Still have one more place to search it in though. Oh well... .01 BC not that exciting anyway, damn you funktion for getting me worked up!!!

ohh! I thinki found it!! Now... how do I go about importing a wallet or whatever?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There are different Bitcoin clients and I think they might use different .wallet formats. Or they might be compatible, not really sure.

The two main ones are Bitcoin-Qt and MultiBit so try them first.

http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

yeah I managed to do it, I had bitcoinqt and it took ages to "sync" or whatever.

What ever happened to the mining aspect of bitcoin? Is it still a thing?

thx for shoving that paywall bs into my face

Nobody shoved anything anywhere. It's not exactly a paywall, if you register for free you get a certain number of articles for free/month. And FP is usually pretty good.

the damage is done,

heart is broken,

no more sunday afternoon sex,

so isn't it like if you had a bot or several bots working at this, you would now make some good profit?

they way i understand it is these bots are quite simple actually.

if you look at this: http://bitcoinwisdom.com

there's the pale blue line, and the pale brown line, both of which are basically lowpass-filtered (moving average) signals of the market value over time... what the bots do if i got that right, is simply sell or buy a little e.g. whenever the brown line changes from up to down or the other way around... continuously, all day long etc... so you got a set of parameters, where you can basically adjust between :

more profit / higher risk <---> less profit / less risk....

parameters like these can be optimized for profit with e.g. genetic algorithms on fictional data or records from the past.

and the more volatility there is, the better for the bots.. i bet that overall, it's way better to run some bots 24/7 rather than selling/buying manually, or mining. this is why i want one bitcoin, as a seed for a bot.

Guest disparaissant

isn't the problem here that buying and selling btc is actually a bit harder than it should be? i mean mt gox is backlogged for weeks at a time, other exchanges are a pain in the ass, and a lot of people end up using shit like localbitcoin, which can't really be utilized by a bot. maybe an android...

i mean, shit. look at bitcoin nerds. if making a bot to day trade btc for you was feasible, it would have been done years ago.

yes.. if the trading is unreliable/laggy or otherwise crappy then it's probably not much use...

but there's even a Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gox-trading-bot/iejmifigokhpcgpmoacllcdiceicmejb?hl=en

not saying that a bot will make you a millionare over night, but if you have one that actually works with the latest API and got the settings about right, it should be able to generate a steady flow of cash in your direction... in theory at least.

On a not so similar note, but vaguely related to the subject anyway:

High-frequency trading (HFT) is a type of algorithmic trading, specifically the use of sophisticated technological tools and computer algorithms to rapidly trade securities.
HFT uses proprietary trading strategies carried out by computers to move in and out of positions in seconds or fractions of a second. Firms focused on HFT rely on advanced computer systems, the processing speed of their trades and their access to the market

Algorithmic and HFT were both found to have contributed to volatility in the May 6, 2010 Flash Crash, when high-frequency liquidity providers rapidly withdrew from the market.

The May 6, 2010 Flash Crash also known as The Crash of 2:45, the 2010 Flash Crash or just simply, the Flash Crash, was a United States stock market crash on Thursday May 6, 2010 in which the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged about 1000 points (about 9%) only to recover those losses within minutes. It was the second largest point swing, 1,010.14 points, and the biggest one-day point decline, 998.5 points, on an intraday basis in Dow Jones Industrial Average history.
[...]
The joint report "portrayed a market so fragmented and fragile that a single large trade could send stocks into a sudden spiral," and detailed how a large mutual fund firm selling an unusually large number of E-Mini S&P 500 contracts first exhausted available buyers, and then how high-frequency traders (HFT) (read, bots) started aggressively selling, accelerating the effect of the mutual fund's selling and contributing to the sharp price declines that day.

I shouldn't label, but this borderlines complete and utter madness.

Edited by Guest

yes this is crazy! firms spending lots of money to get some physical property for their servers to be a tiny notch closer to transatlantic cables etc... it is madness!

also, 10 ms slo-mo snapshot of some high speed trading program:

We're an economy of bubble chasers, vulnerable to our basest instincts. Thanks to the power of modern computing, we can flower and wane at timelapse speed. We don't believe in anything but growth, waiting 'til the centerfold drops and the graph busts out its biggest boner ever - forgetting the inevitable climax, heaving, drained, over. No one invests in steady does it.

yes this is crazy! firms spending lots of money to get some physical property for their servers to be a tiny notch closer to transatlantic cables etc... it is madness!

also, 10 ms slo-mo snapshot of some high speed trading program:

Looks like a pinball machine.

15 years till singularity!

• 2 months later...
Guest fiznuthian

Yeah, it isn't going away. A lot of people lost their bitcoin though.

Saw a guy confess on reddit that he lost 4500 bitcoins.. That is a lot of cash!

Hopefully some were just early adopters that had a big pile from when mining was easy

and people were willing to just give them away.