IGNORED

Bitcoin

Guest Funktion

I'm no expert on monetary economics but I like the idea behind Bitcoin, and having currencies free from Central Bank interference. The idea that central banks can manipulate interest rates, inflation etc has always sat rather uncomfortably with me, the intention is obviously benevolent, but benevolence is subjective and there can always be unintended consequences. Leaving currencies to do as the market dictates just seems more "right" to me, although I'm very willing to listen to other views.

And regardless of your views there, it surely can't hurt to experiment with alternatives

I'm no expert on monetary economics but I like the idea behind Bitcoin, and having currencies free from Central Bank interference.

i agree with you that it's a great idea (i'm still invested in it), but it's one of those things that's better as an idea than in practice, considering not just how unstable the currency is (yesterday it was taking a nosedive, this morning it's back up to $400), but how it's constantly under attack from hackers, phishers, scams etc. and this is considering that the technology/currency has been around only 3 years.

eg. when the mt.gox hack/theft happened, everyone demanded law enforcement to intervene

• 4 months later...

lol@1.5mil

i am sure some bitcoin devotees will pay it since they are easily scammed.

the campaign ended-

but for humor, you can always count on the pono player kickstarter comment page where people's souls are rediscovering music

flol that comments section is pure rock

Folks, I've just found another DSD HiRes source for my fave artist Elton John - acousticsounds.com! They also have a few exclusives there, including Carpenters/Dave Brubeck and the only DSD recording ever of Alan Parson's I Robot. Definitely worth checking out! >

As such I noticed with playback on the Pono with the new 1.05 firmware I swear the quality and imagery of my tracks has upped especially the bass. Let us know if you found the same..

• 1 month later...

Laudable - but two things: ziftrcoin? what kind of name is that. And if theses digital currencies are going to take off, they have to stop referring to them as cryptocurrencies. Think about what the name "crypto" generates in terms of imagery for average people who have no idea what the fuck bit coin is. Having said that, still signing up - promise of free coins? lel

Side note, was in a cafe the other day, sign on the door said "bitcoin accepted here", so I asked the server if anyone had ever paid in bitcoin - blank look was the initial response. So i asked the manager - not a single person, and they've been accepting bitcoin for over a year. Vancouver might not be new yawk city, but it's hardly a provincial backwater like mos eisley.

right now, 99% of all altcoins are completely useless- maybe good for laundering money but they fail to do anything that bitcoin isn't already doing. currently, digital currency is still in it's infancy- similar to the early 90s for the internet, hence you have a lot of coins that nobody is really using similar to how we had altvista, hotbot before google came to rule them all

the only thing giving these "new" coins any traction has been the recent negative news concerning bitcoin such as the rumor that the bitcoin foundation is bankrupt and all the board members either going MIA or being busted for fraud or money laundering.

btw: nobody i've met irl knows anything about bitcoin.

• 7 months later...

Gizmodo report says it's Wright and Kleiman

http://gizmodo.com/this-australian-says-he-and-his-dead-friend-invented-bi-1746958692

Also the tax fraud thing was supposedly not related to bitcoin:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/dec/09/bitcoin-founder-craig-wrights-home-raided-by-australian-police

The Australian Federal police said in a statement that the raids were not related to the bitcoin claims. “The AFP can confirm it has conducted search warrants to assist the Australian Taxation Office at a residence in Gordon and a business premises in Ryde, Sydney. This matter is unrelated to recent media reporting regarding the digital currency bitcoin.”

Just totally unrelated. heh.

"Now we've got you on this half arsed trumped up tax fraud charge, do whatever we say or we'll destroy your life." I recommend that he flees now to somewhere that is happy to take in the man that holds what is it, one third of all bitcoin.

Considering the search came just hours after the publication on a site I'm relatively sure the AFP doesn't spend a whole lot of time on....

Anyways I'm sure it's just my naivety and that if only I hadn't taken the blue pill I would see the truth.

This is a guy the world has been searching for. The bankers want to have some leverage over him, bitcoin must either be crushed or brought into the fold and controlled. Fuck talking about pills and think like a man not a slave.

There is a possibility that it's not even this guy of course and he knew the tax man cometh so came up with some scheme to throw a curball into the works. But the odds of it not being a direct line between the reveal and the tax office action, are quite low. But I'll grant you not impossible. Plus the details have yet to settle themselves, so we'll see. But to ridicule the obvious conclusion out of the box as conspirocy thinking, is a bit silly.

delet - the total value of all bitcoins in the world is somewhere around $6 billion. That seems like a lot of money, until you compare it to the pools of cash floating around. 2/3rds of all bitcoins have been mined, and unless people are eager to hoard them, they will lose worth as they become more liquid. So why the fuck would "bankers" (that international conspiracy that you, as a WATMM moderator are a part of) want anything to do with him?

blockchain tech is open source, easy for banks to utilize it and make that available for the "plebs", without the risk of negative publicity from kidnapping some guy who may or may not have invented this tech.

So instead of tossing pejoratives around, just think.

nothing you said, supported your claim that the tax office raid has nothing to do with the reveal that the man is satoshi nakamoto. I stand baffled by your, as usual, complete indifference to the most obvious of reality when it contradicts your favoured preference for agreeing with authority and power.

The obvious reality is that planning raids takes more than a few hours, and thus it is highly unlikely the release of the report (again on a site I'm relatively sure the AFP spends little time on) was what "triggered" the raid.

My preference is for examining the facts in front of us rather than idle speculation, and has nothing to do with authority and power.

It seems it was a tax return from his failed bitcoin bank that triggered the investigation (last year) and subsequent raid: http://www.businessinsider.com.au/revealed-the-ato-hit-suspected-bitcoin-creator-craig-steven-wrights-company-with-a-1-7-million-penalty-2015-12

There is a possibility that it's not even this guy

"And most inexplicably of all, comparisons of different archived versions of the three smoking gun posts from Wright’s blog show that he did edit all three—to insert evidence of his bitcoin history. The PGP key associated with Nakamoto’s email address and references to an upcoming “cryptocurrency paper” and “triple entry accounting” were added sometime after 2013" from wired

unless he signs a message using satoshi's original pgp key, then there's still doubt whether this guy is actually him and despite his "detailed?" linkedin profile (now private) he seems unlikely to be the candidate

• 4 months later...