IGNORED

Dogs

Tauhid

I have two Jack Russel terriers. I like them because they're small and lively even though they're about 14 years old. When I was younger i liked Yorkshire Terriers because my friend had one. The dog had a hole in its skull so you couldn't pat him very hard. I wouldn't like that kind of dog now, because they're a bit scrawny. I love the look of bull terriers as well. I'm not keen on big dogs.

I think that's the sort of answer I'd give at school. I don't know how to put any of that in a less dry manner.

I have two Jack Russel terriers.

i have one too; i used to have a mongrel/irish wolfhound mix, and i thought i'd never warm to a smaller dog, but link is seriously the funniest, smartest dog i've ever owned. she's spoiled rotten though. my neighbour keeps hens and she got into his garden once. it did... not end well.

link1.jpg

link3.jpg

i have one too; i used to have a mongrel/irish wolfhound mix, and i thought i'd never warm to a smaller dog, but link is seriously the funniest, smartest dog i've ever owned. she's spoiled rotten though. my neighbour keeps hens and she got into his garden once. it did... not end well.

link1.jpg

link3.jpg

my friend had a jack russel, his family did. anyways, quite a wild little dog. when it got really old, it lost it's hearing and such and got very short tempered and would bite people

it was a great dog though.

my grandparents used to have a long haired jack russel, good dog too

kaini, I'm not fooled by that face for a second. It's obvious that she's a reet bogger (and a beaut, btw). I've always thought that terriers as a whole are particularly intelligent, with a personality all of their own, which you can try to control at your peril. But then, why would you want to?

link1.jpg

link3.jpg

my friend had a jack russel, his family did. anyways, quite a wild little dog. when it got really old, it lost it's hearing and such and got very short tempered and would bite people

it was a great dog though.

my grandparents used to have a long haired jack russel, good dog too

she definitely has a personality, lol. if my kid is staying with mates she won't stay in bed (she's at kinda 'rebellious teen' phase in dog terms, haha) - up and down the stairs all fucking night. i usually end up putting her basket in my room but that's not enough; not only do i generally wake up to her trying to sneak into bed with me, once she gets comfortable if i move in my sleep and hit off her she does this cranky growly 'don't fuck with me' thing. and usually wakes me up way too early by hitting my face with her paw. she knows we adore her and she can get away with fucking murder (literally, with the hens).

Edited by kaini

I like Border Terriers as well cus you dont have to brush them all the time

jesus christ, I'm going to have to agree with Craig Anderson. Borders need to be hand stripped though. Good, proper Geordie dogs. Terrier edge and eccentricity without being mental.

Swedish girl plus border terriers = win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuUGYOIn18c&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Guest fiznuthian

i'm all about the australian cattle dogs now that i have one of my own.. :wub:

post-2869-0-97829500-1298506451_thumb.jpg

my boy's approx. 5 months old now..

he can be a little stubborn when he's got energy to spend

but at the end of the day he falls asleep on me and it's adorable.

this is my second experience with a heeler and my god is this breed unlike any other..

they do everything with 100% focus and dedication, never give up, are strangely talkative,

wicked smart, full of weird quirks, and never leave your side ever. even while you shit.

there was a fascinating horizon documentary about dogs a while back; a dog will instinctively look at the left side of your face, because it's been proven it tends to show your true emotion whether you like it or not. in trials, dogs only did this for pictures of humans, not dogs or other animals or objects. dogs share 95% of dna with wolves, yet they have the ability to read body language and expression in humans alone due to their longstanding interactions with us. you can raise a wolf in captivity from a pup and they're adorable until they attain a certain size, then their wild nature starts to take over; that's inherent too.

also dogs understand pointing like no other animal; even chimps don't understand pointing.

to fiznuth: that's extremely motivating for me to stick to what i said in my post. sounds like what i want out of my companion.

to kaini: i was about to say, i feel like most people own pets for the wrong reasons. the majority. you want them to be your friend but it isn't like that. it has to go deeper than that. honestly, i can't wrap my head around it yet and i feel like a terrible owner with my labrador. I don't know what to make of our relationship and I've started to feel like maybe having a pet is just a bullshit thing to do entirely.

it just seems like i've attached values of personality on him that aren't really there. if he isn't an intelligent creature then in reality he's just acting on impulse. and if you think about it that makes the pet owner a bad person automatically.

just a thought though.

Golden retrievers, labradors, german shepherds... That's what I grew up with. I also met a huge but super gentle St. Bernard on vacation once and kind of want one ever since.

It's all just from random experiences though. I don't like jack russels because I've met some nasty territorial cunts. Not a fan of small dogs in general. I hate their barking and met too many with a bad temper.

Edited by Ego

there was a fascinating horizon documentary about dogs a while back; a dog will instinctively look at the left side of your face, because it's been proven it tends to show your true emotion whether you like it or not. in trials, dogs only did this for pictures of humans, not dogs or other animals or objects. dogs share 95% of dna with wolves, yet they have the ability to read body language and expression in humans alone due to their longstanding interactions with us. you can raise a wolf in captivity from a pup and they're adorable until they attain a certain size, then their wild nature starts to take over; that's inherent too.

also dogs understand pointing like no other animal; even chimps don't understand pointing.

that was a good documentary.

it makes me wish we tried more to communicate with animals and really test the limits of their mental capabilities.

edit - my pit/boxer rocks, but she is so fucking dedicated/intense/unrelenting that i'd probably like a more mellow breed next

Edited by theSun

Guest fiznuthian

to fiznuth: that's extremely motivating for me to stick to what i said in my post. sounds like what i want out of my companion.

to kaini: i was about to say, i feel like most people own pets for the wrong reasons. the majority. you want them to be your friend but it isn't like that. it has to go deeper than that. honestly, i can't wrap my head around it yet and i feel like a terrible owner with my labrador. I don't know what to make of our relationship and I've started to feel like maybe having a pet is just a bullshit thing to do entirely.

it just seems like i've attached values of personality on him that aren't really there. if he isn't an intelligent creature then in reality he's just acting on impulse. and if you think about it that makes the pet owner a bad person automatically.

just a thought though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIY8zrXweTk&feature=relmfu

yeah, sounds like you need a herding breed.

heelers are just awesome in that they choose one owner and will stick with them no matter what.

taki shows affection to me in various ways by play bowing to me when i get home, licking my ears,

laying on my feet, rolling over for belly rubs, and generally just taking interest in everything i do at home.

he's a blast to play with. i buy him large rubber balls 3-5 feet in diameter and kick them around the yard.

he likes to herd them in circles by nipping at the ball in quick succession, just like a cow.

and no matter what you throw he'll go get it and bring it back everytime

when i get home and he's in the yard already he'll zoom around as fast as he can and

swing by me like he's playing chicken for a few passes..

then he'll do a final approach and jump on me, usually licking like crazy..

it's like he's putting on a display to impress with his agility and speed..

Labs - they're just great all around

Golden Retrievers - so fucking happy

West Highland White Terriers - they know what they want and they're going to fucking get it

Cocker Spaniels - fuck yeah happy doggie!

Yeah.