IGNORED

Dogs

Tauhid

there was a fascinating horizon documentary about dogs a while back; a dog will instinctively look at the left side of your face, because it's been proven it tends to show your true emotion whether you like it or not. in trials, dogs only did this for pictures of humans, not dogs or other animals or objects. dogs share 95% of dna with wolves, yet they have the ability to read body language and expression in humans alone due to their longstanding interactions with us. you can raise a wolf in captivity from a pup and they're adorable until they attain a certain size, then their wild nature starts to take over; that's inherent too.

also dogs understand pointing like no other animal; even chimps don't understand pointing.

that was a good documentary.

it makes me wish we tried more to communicate with animals and really test the limits of their mental capabilities.

there was another very interesting section in it about the tame silver foxes the russians have bred

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tame_silver_fox

by breeding the animals most willing to interact with humans over about twenty generations of arctic foxes, the russians were able to produce a silver fox that you could keep as a pet. they contrasted these with the wild ones, who would rip a finger or two off in a heartbeat. the really interesting part is that the tame ones started to lose their 'wild' coat, and look more and more like dogs as the experiment progressed.

dogs are fascinating creatures <3

man, this thread makes me miss my parents' dogs at home.

one is on her way out, but shes a big jolly goofball and always flips her shit whenever I come visit.

the other one is getting fat, and stuck up as all hell...still cant help but love her...shes getting old too.

and then the third one is a mix of gold retriever and something else..he was the runt of the littler and was apparently abandoned by his mum...we found him on the side of the road and cleaned him up...guy is adorable with his little autisms or whatnot

-always has to walk in a circle. always. even if its a long long walk, he has to loop around to close the circle.

-is petrified of walking on wooden floors

-chases birds he sees overhead WELL after they have gone

Ill never forget one incident in which he put a frog in his mouth and then spit it out...the frog was fine. The dog then proceeded to lick it as if to say, "Oh shit man, I didnt know you were alive! Here, lemme wipe all this spit off you.."

love my dog, her name is Sally! She is an 11 year old Dachshund. Bred somewhere in the middle no of where in Ontario.

42341843295700335961300.jpg

42341843351350335961300.jpg

42341843351700335961300.jpg

42341843296200335961300.jpg

All she does is eat, sleep and shit. :facepalm: Actually she runs around a lot too, but all the pictures my sister takes is of her sleeping.

Edited by halisray

i was in the pub last week when this woman walked in with a beautiful, unusual-looking dog. apparently it was a cross between a silken windhound and a golden retriever. that was an excellent dog - and i'm not usually a dog person.

if i were to get a dog, however, it'd probably be a retired racing greyhound. they need good homes, and apparently they're very calm, loyal and affectionate animals.

we had golden retrievers in the house growing up. one bit me on the face when i was about 6 and i still have the scar.

border collies are super smart and will learn up to 500 words if you work with em

co-sign on labs and golden retrievers

but keeping shit idm/acid i vote for my main dog

MACGRUDER….BITCHEZ

and also a sleigh team of huskies in canada would be kush too

[note- this is a very B.O.C.-esq video for obvious reasons…note the corporate building in the background,the landscape.the canadian location in the winter/snow and the energy company sponsorship]

Edited by yikes

My all time favorite has to be the Great Pyrenees, my great grandma had one and it was soooo sweet. I like bigger dogs in general but I'm looking to get a Corgi asap.

Edited by Yegg

• 10 years later...

I've always liked terriers.  This is my current dog, Lola.  She's some kind of terrier mix, and I love her beard.  She has never barked in 3 years, mostly because she's afraid of everything and anxious all the time because she came from Puerto Rico where I'm sure she was abused in her early life.  She loves to sit and sploot (didn't know what that term was before she caused me to look it up).

IMAG3863.jpg

-6904497113097216964.jpg

Edited by randomsummer
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I saw an Irish wolfhound for the first time ever yesterday. It was like a skeleton ghost dog risen out of the forest floor and gliding silently along with its unusually rough salt n' pepper fur, tall & slim build and long legs. An elegant creature he was. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some dog owners are kinda weird (especially those of very small, well-trained dogs).

"Sit!"

"Down!"

What moves a human to drill/train an animal in that way when there is no material need for it? I think they have a similar relationship to other humans, too. Taking orders, giving orders. Believing in authority. Avoiding the responsibility to see the greater picture because they are in the safety of their hierarchy.

"Hey, Cookie, it's not like I'm paying you."

"Hey, Boss, I'm just doing my job."

I can't believe the amount of money and time being spent on such a bullshit system.

And yet, it's so much easier to believe in a dog's obedience than in a human's. It's so much easier to believe the little bitch knows her place than the big smartass kid! But then again, maybe it's because dogs are cute. Humans are not. Or not always. Or not if they look at you in that way. (That dog is so cute! That guy/girl is soooo NOT!)

We can't be friends.

You're not allowed to touch this.

But then again, I'm kind of a trained dog myself, whether I want it or not.

German Shephard. Mine is a street dog, ie, mixture most likely, but veeery much looks like a GS, except his ears aren't straight up.

I learnt that Germans pretty much discriminate GS. Even in the group of my dogs best buddies, if we approach an unknown GS, people said "ACHTUNG Schäferhund!" - Other situation: male adult GS gets into trouble with another male dog... which is quite normal... people say "German Shephard shines through".

Ears not straight up is an advantage, makes dog more look like a puppy, people will not so often be in fear and behave more naturally, which is important.

My prior dog was a Sarplaninac, awesome dog.

I personally dislike dogs of rat size. Too fragile, terrible voice. 

Edited by WurstPLUS

3 hours ago, dingformung said:

Some dog owners are kinda weird (especially those of very small, well-trained dogs).

"Sit!"

"Down!"

What moves a human to drill/train an animal in that way when there is no material need for it? I think they have a similar relationship to other humans, too. Taking orders, giving orders. Believing in authority. 

As the dog’s leader, you are responsible for its safety and also the person responsible for the safety of others around you and your dog/s.

Getting your dog to sit etc is the most simple method of achieving this. 

I have no interest in telling other humans what to do unless they are endangering themselves and or others but I feel no shame in being able to get my dog to stand still when I command it.

54728384-8F19-41B5-ADFF-1CB3EF014F37.jpeg

• Like 1