IGNORED

Explain Lord of the Rings to me pls

Guest El_Chemso

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, the whole narnia thing is a thinly disguised new testament/omg jesus analogy.

wait, that was a disguised analogy?

Why does the ring not effect Billbo or Frodo the same as other people?

For whatever reason they are chosen or empowered to be able to resist it. The hobbits aren't supposed to have the same ambitions for power or anything that other races do though.

Read the hobbit. that's where you went wrong. You read the hobbit, then the lord of the rings. But yeah, even still if you couldn't understand about the why of the rings, life must be quite incomprehensible for you. Then again everyone has a brain disconnect every now and again. Then again, again, maybe you were just trying to start a discussion thread. Was that what was happening.

film wise....

Two Towers is awesome epicness in every way

Fellowship gets good towards the end but is just a build up to Two Towers

Return of the King is good to finish off the Frodo/Gollum ring stuff but seemed to be lacking with the other character story's and the ending should have been cut by 30 mins and left for the extended DVD imho

[slight tangent but related]

Last night I had a pint of ale in the awesome Eagle & Child pub in Oxford where Tolkien / Carol etc. used to have their weekly book club meetings. Brilliant olde worlde pub, its exactly how you would imagine such a pub to be like.

Guest El_Chemso

I watched LOTR the whole thing as they came out, didn't get it an didn't like it. But we have started watching it again this past week. Just finished watching part 1 and would like some uber geeks to explain a few bits to me.

Why does the ring not effect Billbo or Frodo the same as other people?

hobbits are simple country folk and not as greedy.

Are elves like the master race?

yeah, sort of.

Why has man become so lowly?

dunno. greed probably.

What was the deal with the white lady in the forest?

she's the queen of the elves. the scene where she freaks out shows that the ring is so powerful it even affects someome as good-hearted as her.

TIA!

TY actually helpful :)

Read the hobbit. that's where you went wrong. You read the hobbit, then the lord of the rings. But yeah, even still if you couldn't understand about the why of the rings, life must be quite incomprehensible for you. Then again everyone has a brain disconnect every now and again. Then again, again, maybe you were just trying to start a discussion thread. Was that what was happening.

The first time around watching I think I was mostly not following. But this time around I'm getting it much much more (age, wisdom, not been frightened has probably helped) but there's still a few bits I'm missing. And when I finished the fellowship last night I was actually eager to watch the next part. Perhaps there hope for me yet as a LOTR nerd. I think the reason I struggle as a film only watcher is the reason the films were so successful with the hardcore fans because it didn't give a fuck if you hadn't read the books it was for people who had read the books, unlike say films like Harry Potter which are dummed down idiot versions of decent books.

and gollum was a hobbit who had the ring for many many years and look what it did to him... transformed the shit out of him!

Should Watmm have a Tolkien fanboy thread? I've been a member of the Slovenian Tolkien society for 13 years now, and could go for a hot debate on what still keeps me going.

Anyone else?

Also Lord of the Rings movies suck Holliwood dick. I'll never, NEVER forgive Jackson and everyonee else that made all the good work put in to the movies go fuck itself with poor cinematography and cheap tricks. Never, ok?

Guest Dirty Protest

I read them when I was 14 and played the RPG Middle Earth as a teenager, thats where they belong. The film was so fucking pious, it made me want to become the CEO of BP and rape peoples lives and land.

Should Watmm have a Tolkien fanboy thread? I've been a member of the Slovenian Tolkien society for 13 years now, and could go for a hot debate on what still keeps me going.

Anyone else?

Also Lord of the Rings movies suck Holliwood dick. I'll never, NEVER forgive Jackson and everyonee else that made all the good work put in to the movies go fuck itself with poor cinematography and cheap tricks. Never, ok?

would you call them "conjurers of cheap tricks!"?

Guest ezkerraldean

Anyone else?

would you call them "conjurers of cheap tricks!"?

lol

beat me to it

Guest theSun

i like the movies but the books are obviously how tolkien envisioned middle earf.

i don't like how faramir was an ass in the movies.

i don't like the arwen/aragorn thing in the movies.

i don't like how the cut the end of the story short in the movie, disregarding saruman all up in the shire.

i liked how the cities/fortresses looked in the movies, (helm's deep, rivendell, edoras, minas tirith, minas morgul) and i think the movies do great capturing the visual aspect and overall mood of the book.

legolas is a total fag in two towers surfing on that shield, but an even bigger fag in return of the king with that stupid oliphaunt trick

Guest Babar

Anyone else?

at the very end of the movie. When frodo he's going on the boat, i really thought he was about to kiss sam gamgee and vice-versa. I was horrified.

Also : i think psychedelics are a revelator. Try going to MacDonalds on acid, you'll quickly figure out their food is shit. Same thing happened when i watched LOR on acid. It was fucking horrible.