IGNORED

Best Coffee

Guest rumbo

Chemex.jpg

want to get one of these, and a bean grinder.. but right now I'm still noobing around with "quality" supermarket coffee.

btw I went half a year without any coffee and could sleep any moment of the day. the whole concept of getting myself to do something changed.

I do pour-over with one of these -$6:

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_4

Upgraded to that from a Keurig and omg, it's so much better. I've got a La Colombe nearby to buy beans from. Tasty.

http://www.lacolombe.com/

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone tried Kopi Luwak?

kopiluwak.jpg

Kopi Luwak Coffee

$600 a pound

These Sumatran coffee beans earn their delicacy status after a journey through the digestive tract of a civet, a small cat-like animal. Once picked from civet droppings on the jungle floor, the beans are scrubbed clean. According to Marcone, the beans are chemically altered by the acids in the civet's stomach, resulting in an earthy, chocolate flavored coffee. The beans are superior in flavor to those that have not gone through the civet's digestive process, aficionados say.

Imagine how this is manufactured

Do they take these cats and feed them nothing but beans so they starve to death and then just get more cats after they die? To the cats suffer pain while the beans pass?

The best coffee beans I've found around here come from a roaster about a mile from my house called Anvil. My favorite roast of theirs is called Straight Drippin'. It must be at least a few others' favorite because half the time I go to the store to buy a bag, there aren't any beans left. If I can't find that, I get the lightest local roast I can find.

I used to use a french press but I switched to a Hario H60 glass dripper a few years ago. I'm very pleased with it and I don't see any reason to make coffee any other way, although my wife likes cold brew so I want to find something that would work well for that.

We used to get the Hario filters and I do think they taste a little better, but we cheaped out and got Melitta #4 filters the last couple of times. I'm now so used to folding those over to fit nicely into the H60 that it's just become part of my ritual and I would miss it if we switched back to the standard Hario filters. I think I will get some again, though, as I'd like to see whether I notice any difference in flavor.

I grind my beans with a big counter top grinder. I don't remember the company but the guy who sold it to me said they're from Seattle. This has made a huge difference in my process. I'm much more sensitive to the variables in the process. I can adapt the grind to over-roasted beans and in some cases I actually prefer what I get out of some of the darker roasts. I might never buy pre-ground beans again.

I also use a Hario kettle my mother-in-law bought me for my birthday. It's got a thin swan neck so I can be very precise in my pour and avoid over-extraction, especially in the center. I tend to just use tap water, though. There's probably room for improvement there.

Lately I'm realizing how big a difference temperature makes. Over the last year or so I've used the 30-seconds-off-the-boil rule pretty religiously, but lately (spurred by buying too many bags of dark roast) I've been giving it a little more time than that, probably 5-10 seconds more. Basically I just take the kettle off the range as soon as the grind finishes and I move into that phase of the process, rather than taking it straight from boil to pre-soak. I'd like to get a thermometer soon, and take more notes on temperature.

I'm not the best at making coffee but I'm quite confident now in my ability to brew a cup that satisfies me.

Speaking of which, I just realized I'm fresh out of beans :(

Oh yeah also. I do 28g of beans for a mug of dark roast, 26g for light roast. I don't know how much water that is but I empty the kettle, turn on the faucet, and count to 7. When I'm in the actual brewing phase, I keep an eye on it so the mug doesn't overfill, then I just move the pourover to a nearby mug.

I also do bulletproof coffee sometimes. I like to add cinnamon and a little salt to mine but I don't know that anyone actually likes that except me.

Oh yeah also. I do 28g of beans for a mug of dark roast, 26g for light roast. I don't know how much water that is but I empty the kettle, turn on the faucet, and count to 7. When I'm in the actual brewing phase, I keep an eye on it so the mug doesn't overfill, then I just move the pourover to a nearby mug.

I also do bulletproof coffee sometimes. I like to add cinnamon and a little salt to mine but I don't know that anyone actually likes that except me.

I accidentally used salted butter for bulletproof coffee and it wasn't bad at all. Just different. I like to use almond milk to sweeten it a bit.

Guest murphythecat8

I buy my coffee online. Ive gone threw a couple of renown place. Ive stopped my search with metropolis redline espresso..

One need to have a grinder and espresso machine or at least a decent grinder and a italian coffee maker.

The problem with supermarket coffee and coffee in general, is thats its been roasted poorly and has been roasted for too long.

If you buy already grinded coffee, forget about it. After 5 days, a grinded coffee will loose most of its good taste. It then taste acid. So you need to have at east freshly grinded coffee.

you need to make sure that the coffee beans you buy were not roasted three month ago, as after 7 days after roasting, coffee beans will loose its taste gradually.

You can find many coffee makers that will sell you freshly daily roasted coffee.

Metropolis roast my order just before shiping it to me. Ten, you can place the fresh ebans in the congelator and the beans stays fresh.

Archived