IGNORED

how TV ruined your life

vamos scorcho

i was blown away by how well put together this was. TV/advertising have been a main concern in my own life... I've felt they're one of the most important if not the most important part of modern society for the past 10 years or so.

this show traces it back pretty far, it's hilarious, and it covers many many bases. it's fascinating and like i said, hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxQuHocBmxw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXzMDlVcF54

i think every single episode is on youtube. it's worth checking out. this is probably old news though.

Guest disparaissant

it was entertaining in a "hey, it's charlie brooker, lovable curmudgeon!" kind of way, but it was all quite obvious really.

i didn't think it was very obvious. or i thought that people might 'know' it but it still has an effect on their thinking. personally i know people who watch the TV still and i'm rather sure that it has an effect on them. even watching entourage for instance has such an effect. or the hangover. same thing. the mere exposure is enough to reprogram or instill ideas.

i'm exhausted right now to argue this but i think this is more relevant/funny than you guys are giving it credit. it will always be relevant.

[there are 3 other half hour episodes i didn't post in this thread]

on - life cycle

- aspiration

- love

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

it was entertaining in a "hey, it's charlie brooker, lovable curmudgeon!" kind of way, but it was all quite obvious really.

kind of agree. its not that interesting/new to me and its not that funny. its a weird mix that doesn't sit well all the time

the past 2 episodes have been weak. it started out well though i thought. its kinda like that quiz show he hosted - it wasn't perfect but it was still the best thing on tv

the kevin eldon sex mime was so funny i forgive the show its weaknesses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m876A78rC_4

i'm exhausted right now to argue this but i think this is more relevant/funny than you guys are giving it credit. it will always be relevant.

NO

FUCK YOU

THE INTERNET IS NOT SOME PLACE WHERE YOU CAN COME TO CASUALLY EXCHANGE IDEAS IN RECUMBENT LEISURE.

YOU PUT YOUR ASS ON THE LINE EVERY DAY

DEFEND YOUR OPINIONS TO THE EGO DEATH

PUSSY BITCH

DO YOU THINK GEORGE WASHINGTON HAD A LITTLE NAP BEFORE HE FREED THE SLAVES?

FUCK YOU

Yeah most stuff on TV is crap but you just avoid the really brainwashing shit and find something a little less brainwashing.

Unless its Steven Colbert or John Stewart. Then its ok.

i am deeply enraged. this documentary has so much to do with the fabric of my personality. i feel personally insulted that you all do not think highly of it. [this is self deprecating sarcasm].

the video

its like a satirical/funny version of 'century of the self.' i think what made me post this here was the segment in the 'fear' episode where he went into the 'hot pens.' it felt so spot on when the guy's face in the dark room came on. and then i noticed that even though i don't barely ever watch TV, that i think this sort of programming has a lot to do with why i feel the way i do out in public. i feel a bit more sane after viewing this. just a bit more.

and whether or not you're watching TV these values are instilled in our society.

personally i'm a bitch to society. i'm very susceptive to the images and feelings around me so i take it badly. i'm very young. to think that the generations after me are going to have it so much even worse? hyperbole

anyway.

It still surprises me that Brooker manages to put out series after series of material with the BBC. The topics covered are most certainly considered to be 'controversial' at times (at least here in Britain). Although some topic areas appear obvious to some, Brooker is creating an awareness of problems in society through the use of comedy which I think has worked extremely well. More people need to understand and reflect on society and where we're heading with these consumeristic, nonsensical lifestyles a lot of us follow. People say in this thread "it's all obvious" - but is it really for the rest of the public? People adopt automatic cognitive approaches, not consciously considering a lot besides their little social circles and self-serving interests. This isn't good enough if we want to get things right in the world - so, good job Brooker -- I hope the BBC keep allowing him some more slots on television. I do hope he innovates some of his material though. There were times where I felt he covered certain elements in 'How TV Ruined Your Life' that were shown in 'Screenwipe'.

Jon Stewart and Colbert don't even come close to touching on what Brooker puts into his shows.

Guest Ranky Redlof

great series

the people this applies to probably wont watch this tho, it's made for idiots like us who already see through the obvious superficial crap the tv spews out.

this is awesome because it confirms how smart and great losers like us actually are

fuck i'm awesome

thanks documentary!

(the sarcasm is infectious)

Guest Dirty Protest

BBC2 was fucking excellent tonight. Brooker, followed by Paxman making John McCain look like a tit, then he interviewed Chomsky. Its like fantasy television.

kind of agree. its not that interesting/new to me and its not that funny. its a weird mix that doesn't sit well all the time

the past 2 episodes have been weak. it started out well though i thought. its kinda like that quiz show he hosted - it wasn't perfect but it was still the best thing on tv

the kevin eldon sex mime was so funny i forgive the show its weaknesses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m876A78rC_4

oh man, so so funny!

pleeeeeaaaaaase can someone make a gif out of this?

Guest Fishtank

looks more like a showcase of human stupidity

British children's shows did look way more creepy than American shows

Guest disparaissant

oh man, so so funny!

pleeeeeaaaaaase can someone make a gif out of this?

one would be ludicrously huge here are 10

KMvNz.gifk4J4V.gifoGfDl.gif

ySE0f.gif4uH1i.gifX0GgN.gif

2pPXQ.gifyzgED.gif

6QHQG.gifMTwbM.gif

Archived