IGNORED

I just "got" Ultravisitor

springymajig

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

me loves it

Steinbolt annoys me a bit, though. it degenerates into a bit of a mess, which would still be ok but the mess bit takes up most of the song. makes me sad

stein bolt is awesome.

my only nag is the albums not that loud.

Great album, sure it has it's noisy and hard to listen to bits but as a whole it's quite an impressive work... I remember it taking me quite a while to fully appreciate, but I'm glad I do now. It's been a while since I listened to it but this thread inspired me to do so. :music: Also reminds me that I need to re-buy a physical copy of it since my little brother lost it when I lent it to him ( :wtf: little fucker)

Guest drukqs

I'm listening to it for the first right now. I don't know why people don't like this album. It kicks fucking ass. It's not his regular style, but who gives a shit? This is fucking bangin' :music:

me loves it

Steinbolt annoys me a bit, though. it degenerates into a bit of a mess, which would still be ok but the mess bit takes up most of the song. makes me sad

Just edit out the pointless awful middle section and that alone makes it one of his best.

me loves it

stein bolt is awesome.

my only nag is the albums not that loud.

It is loud, but it's just compressed beyond belief.

I love Steinbolt! The whole thing! Especially when it gets just plain STUPID kinda gabba thingy a coupla minutes in, it just taps into that sort of primitive "MAN ANGRY! MAN WANT FIGHT!" kinda mind set. Let's face it, we all feel a little like that sometimes.

BUT, that is the point of the album I hated the most when I first heard it. That was the point where I realised to myself "....I hate this album. Why and I still listening to this."

Kinda funny how it's one of my fav's now.

Guest Dirty Protest

Took me about 4 years of listens to enjoy 'Music is rotted one note', now its like I wasted 4 years.

Only really love Steinbolt and the beginning of An Arched Pathway.

I find Ultravisitor and Tetra-Sync a bit obvious the way they build and build, like there was a conscious effort made to make them 'epic'. Not really into the noodly tracks - what is the point of C-Town Smash really - and I don't find the pretty tracks affecting, whereas I find the piano tracks from Druqks achingly beautiful. Nor are the schizophrenic manic tracks all that crazy or numerous...can't think of any apart from Steinbolt. District Line II is just like sound that happens, it does stuff, it changes, but it's all a bit... :whistling: .

To each his own I suppose. Ultravisitor is one of my favorites of his albums and it's a cornerstone in what was a very exciting chapter of his music for me. Venus 17, Tundra 4, Abacus, I loved the singles coming out around this time.

I was lucky enough to see him live in Toronto twice around this period which was nice as we rarely get shows of that nature in Canada. It totally leveled my mind. At one point before the show a fellow offered to smoke us a joint if my friend and I saved his spot on the floor. When tetrasync came on, I was so baked I nearly had a stroke and I'm fairly certain that I had a hypnogogic hallucination from the strobes of there being a golden halo glowing around Tom's head. Anyways, lots of fond memories.

remember the UV live tour?

Particularly blinding white light and CO2 for "Steinbolt" made you really feel that you were on another planet... as you were utterly surrounded by pure white fog. A planet that was about to eat you!!!

the LA show was the first concert i'd ever been to. it was great. lots of strobing and buffer delays and bass solos.

i love ultravisitor, it's my favorite. it was released while i was still in high school and a sucker for epic emotional shit like mogwai. i listened to it all the time. i don't listen to it as much now, but it brings back nice memories.

50 cycles is great because of that beautiful bassline burried almost beyond recognition

Took me about 4 years of listens to enjoy 'Music is rotted one note', now its like I wasted 4 years.

Pretty keen to get that one but I have a feeling it'll frustrate me at first as well. Think I might get that and Go Plastic next week.

Go Plastic is my all time favorite, I doubt I'll ever be sick of it. Someone, maybe on here... once described it perfectly as being as if Squarepusher had travelled to the year 3000 and brought back jungle music with him.

Guest sodar

i always felt that ultravisitor was squarepusher trying to compete with afx's drukqs... but drukqs has a coherency ultravisitor lacks. despite the dizzying, insane number of events going down, drukqs is remarkably coherent and easy for the ear to follow. ultravisitor isn't. i hear the edits and cuts i love from big loada -- those sudden blasts of flange etc., you know? but instead of being amazed at the picture, i lose the plot. i find myself tapping my foot and waiting for the track to end, some foothold or something. but no, he wants you to be amazed at how much detail there is and how he spent two months recursively editing the track until it was the maximum utmost etc. and fuck you if you want a coherent song to hum along to instead of some pretentious astral voyage to uranus.

furthermore, i find the spanish guitar/acoustic/etc crap boring as hell, and there's a lot of it on ultravisitor. but that's not tom's fault -- i'm not a huge fan of most of the drukqs piano trax either. i like drum machines

edit: i just found out venus no. 17 is from ultravisitor era? i love venus no. 17.... why can't ultravisitor be like THAT?

Just listening to venus no. 17 now....

This is pretty cool

And yeah, Long Live Drum Machines!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

the stretch from music is rotted, to go plastic, to this...

if that's the sequence or not

is one of my favorite musical 'things' ever. the sound he created is brilliant

future jazz, in every respect. it's not 'jazz' really but it has that aesthetic. and jenkinson owns it.

it's probably actually closer to some kind of bizarre classical/electroacoustic music

but it's fucking great, whatever it is. it all looks grey and alien. devoid of color but somehow full of detail and ... shades.

many shades of grey.

it's cool.

Pretty keen to get that one but I have a feeling it'll frustrate me at first as well. Think I might get that and Go Plastic next week.

I didn't see what the fuss was about with Music Is Rotted One Note until I started listening to Miles Davis' fusion era. Stuff like Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, Big Fun, check it all, yo. Now I realize TJ really nailed it on that one.

• 1 month later...

I love Steinbolt! The whole thing! Especially when it gets just plain STUPID kinda gabba thingy a coupla minutes in, it just taps into that sort of primitive "MAN ANGRY! MAN WANT FIGHT!" kinda mind set. Let's face it, we all feel a little like that sometimes.

BUT, that is the point of the album I hated the most when I first heard it. That was the point where I realised to myself "....I hate this album. Why and I still listening to this."

Kinda funny how it's one of my fav's now.

I had the same reaction to this tune as you. As was equally suprised.

Also, the album as a whole really fluctuates absurdly in style (Iambic 9 poetry/Andrei/Tommi's Help Buss vs. menelec/steinbolt/50 cycles)

Reminds of the schizophrenia present on Drukqs sometimes

I suggest everyone take a gander at the 2004 squarepusher, boy do I miss it. His most solid period IMO. Ultravisitor for the great experimental stuff and square window/venus no. 17 for awesome punchy drum n bass music.

Archived