IGNORED

Burial & Four Tet / Thom Yorke - Ego / Mirror

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

the rip is awesome. love it. the beat on ego is so simple but so good. on first few listens i thought thom might be letting the side down but i actually like his vocals now. they fit rather than feeling like a radiohead remix.

mirror is burial with thom on top. can't argue with that really. definitely the weaker side. still good though.

A+ overall

i went back and listened fourtet's ringer ep again after not liking it when it came out. and i still feel the same. he was in transition, maybe. that track from the recent split was top. his last album was good except the burial like vocal loops.

There are already 16 copies up on discogs ranging in price £25-£75, including sister ray, and about 40 on ebay... pricks.

Having said that I've ended up with two copies after getting overexcited, thinking my order at Norman hadn't been taken, buying at Boomkat and then the one from Norman turning up.

So I'll either sell at cost, offer it for trade or give it to Essines. Some kind of vinyl swap through wattem, good idea or asking for trouble?

Where can i get my hands on the clean and shiny digital version? thaaaanks

No where legitimately (yet, or maybe ever, judging by the last burial/four tet effort).

Other than that... the usual sources.

Guest uptown devil

just got mine today. overall i thought it sounded good, especially at 33 rpm, which takes the danciness out if it a bit. some artwork would have been nice.. and the piano at the end of 'ego' was a bit over the top.. but whatever, still a good piece of music for $15.

• 9 years later...
43 minutes ago, jules said:

Gotta hear this....

Edit: nevermind, here you go: https://www.stereogum.com/2109239/thom-yorke-burial-four-tet-her-revolution-his-rope/music/

Edited by Friendly Stranger
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Sorry these tracks are boring AF

so far, the reviews are fun. though, not as cryptic as the releases themselves. 

Edited by ignatius

There's a rip of this now floating around. Had a listen. Pretty boring, to be honest. If it didn't have those well-known names attached, you'd pass over this without even caring.

19 hours ago, species8472 said:

get thom yorke outta here

there was a point in time when I would seek out any track he was on. now, I couldn't agree more with your statement. as soon as his voice came on, I slightly cringed. his vocals seem a little too high in the mix maybe?

and I side with some of the other opinions here that these tracks are nothing special. still hoping for a Burial 3 track EP to drop right before Christmas.

yeah - these tracks are pretty boring - and are further ruined by the presence of thom yorke.

i used to think thom yorke was the shit, and a feature would be the very thing i wanted. nowadays i find his voice just sounds ridiculous and silly, and his lyrics are juvenile.

burial early days seem to have just been a flash in the pan.

but a part of me always holds out hope that one day he will drop some sick hard steppers.

1 hour ago, zero said:

there was a point in time when I would seek out any track he was on. now, I couldn't agree more with your statement. as soon as his voice came on, I slightly cringed. his vocals seem a little too high in the mix maybe?

and I side with some of the other opinions here that these tracks are nothing special. still hoping for a Burial 3 track EP to drop right before Christmas.

+1 on that Burial Xmas drop. There's still time.

im also lukewarm on these (i was on ego mirror as well tbh). i love all the artists in solo mode (been listening to lots of radiohead as of late) but their talents never gel for me on these collaborative tracks?  It only ever sounds like 2 of them worked on any track.. or almost like a fan threw thom vocals over a b-side instrumental

Edited by markedone

cant say these new collab tracks are worth getting. ego/mirror are both fantastic tracks but these two..whole lot of "ehhhh".

was expecting much more from this tbh

Edited by mause

2 minutes ago, mause said:

cant say these new collab tracks are worth getting. ego/mirror are both fantastic tracks but these two..whole lot of "ehhhh".

was expecting much more from this tbh

same. they almost feel like demos or something. Thom's voice is incredibly high in the mix.

• Like 1