IGNORED

Clark's hard-/software

tokn

I only heard the used to play lots of drums, piano and stuff, recorded it and mangled the shit out of it.

The first times I saw him play live he switched to use minidiscs during his performance to play the "turning dragon" kind of stuff - maybe that's also prove he has done a lot of stuff via analoge effects, recording and manipulation?

Nevertheless the sound of Totems Flare (and other works) sound very digital to me, so I would be very interested to know what you think, speculate or know about

- Clark's workflow (drinking coffee, staying up all night to get more receptive)

- Clark's techniques

- Clark's hardware (compressors)

- Clark's software (compressors - yeah that's my way of joking)

- Clark's approach to gigs (nowadays, MPC and regular DJ set, right?)

:emotawesomepm9:

He uses Mpcs and other old samplers to make music. Computer only for mastering. He uses a lot of valve gear, mostly cheap ones and some guitar pedals. He has a compressor that he uses on everything, and I am really curious what compressor it is. He also has Roland SH-09 and Moog Taurus. I guess he has much more synths actually. Also he records stuff on tape.

Guest reyde_espana

hmmm i think its pretty much impossible that he doesnt use software to compose

lots of the stuff is just waaaayyyy to intricate to be done on the mpc or straight to tape

http://www.barcodezine.com/Chris%20Clark%20Interview.htm

But when the tracks are composed do you feed them into the PC for final editing? I usually just use a PC for a few mastering things – like a big tape recorder really. It’s sort of funny that this interview is about this album that’s coming out, because it is quite metronomic, but other stuff I’ve done and released, and the stuff I’m doing now, there’s never any tempo that’s open in Logic. I just use it as something to paint on really, and it’s all really sloppy and messy before stuff gradually takes shape – but I never really have one project open, like a track usually consists of about 10 projects that gradually get bounced into one. It sort of does my head in because I’ve got thousands and thousands of projects.

From the interview before the release Turning Dragon.

Also, he posted this on facebook just few hours ago. It's from his current setup. 190608_10150463889210171_197034250170_17900840_537770_n.jpg

So there he says he bounces down rough ideas into Logic, and from the sounds of it, gives them shape in the software? Bringing multiple projects together where hes thrown stuff, into one cohesive track? Sounds like hes definitely using the computer as a way to edit audio.

He uses Mpcs and other old samplers to make music. Computer only for mastering. He uses a lot of valve gear, mostly cheap ones and some guitar pedals. He has a compressor that he uses on everything, and I am really curious what compressor it is. He also has Roland SH-09 and Moog Taurus. I guess he has much more synths actually. Also he records stuff on tape.

what is this valve gear in particular?

Don't know. I'm interested as well.

So there he says he bounces down rough ideas into Logic, and from the sounds of it, gives them shape in the software? Bringing multiple projects together where hes thrown stuff, into one cohesive track? Sounds like hes definitely using the computer as a way to edit audio.

Where does he say that?

hmmm i think its pretty much impossible that he doesnt use software to compose

lots of the stuff is just waaaayyyy to intricate to be done on the mpc or straight to tape

Lol, you've never used an MPC.

Or you could just listen to any Prefuse 73 song, cause honestly, knowing the MPC renders that DiViNCi video unimpressive.

Guest LIFE RIDES YOUR BONES

Also, he posted this on facebook just few hours ago. It's from his current setup. 190608_10150463889210171_197034250170_17900840_537770_n.jpg

that console is a toft ATB series - very nice analog mixer. the EQs are top notch on that thing.

"501" probably refers to one of many possible mic pres with that designation (could be anything though).

"vermona spring" is likely the vermona retroverb or their new spring reverb with all tubes and no semiconductors (the later seems likely given his apparent affinity for valve gear)

i remember hearing that he used some custom valve gear from theo argiriadis as well.

as far as the "frowny face" channel goes - my guess is that it's a text to speech converter reading the contents of WATMM :emotawesomepm9:

Theo

vermona

toft

My guess is that the next record will be called 13 and features only a Vermona spring reverb panned hard left with compression.

Fixt.

:sorcerer:

• 4 weeks later...

I want so see his studio and jam with him so bad... I'm in Berlin, so... :spiteful: I even found the name "Clark" outside of an apartment building in my neighbourhood, maybe I should give it a try :emotawesomepm9: ?

Archived