IGNORED

Christopher Hitchens

Guest wake

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll never tire of watching Hitchens put people in their place with maximum wit and eloquence.

RIP? nah. Just "We'll miss you" will suffice.

:sad:

On the one hand, yes he was a fine thinker. On the other, his cheerleading for the invasion of Iraq is sickening.

He was a sharp and witty man, but was not spared from some dumb opinions. Where are the next wave of public intellectuals who can and will criticize the establishments?

True, and I was particularly annoyed when his editorial term "Islamofascism" became ammunition for the religious far-right, the same crowd who will mostly discredit him as foul-mouthed pissy atheist in the coming days. Still, he was a left-winger who became a fierce contrarian on that issue, not a pundit nor politician who jumped on a bandwagon and tried downplaying it later. His opinions were of his own intellectual judgement and considerations, he was never to be easily swayed by peers or public opinion.

As Hitchens would of said:

"My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line and kiss my ass."

I'm gutted, what a fine human we have lost, no one can ever replace.

He was a sharp and witty man, but was not spared from some dumb opinions. Where are the next wave of public intellectuals who can and will criticize the establishments?

I'm not sure how cheerleading for intervention is criticism. Didn't he spend most of his time criticizing dead people like Mother Teresa and Gandhi? However he certainly was sharp and witty, which is why I said "on the one hand he was a fine thinker. On the other..." He never recanted his support for the invasion of Iraq.

To answer your question - you want Lawrence Lessig, Michael Geist, as well as the old hands such as Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein.

On the one hand, yes he was a fine thinker. On the other, his cheerleading for the invasion of Iraq is sickening.

He was known for other things other than cheerleading wars? i guess he must be if so many people are sad about his death, thats the only context i have for him.

True, and I was particularly annoyed when his editorial term "Islamofascism"

His opinions were of his own intellectual judgement and considerations, he was never to be easily swayed by peers or public opinion.

i find this personally hard to believe based on his islam writings, but i'll leave this thread to not beat a dead horse (or more specifically dead man)

Guest disparaissant

it's officially over as far as the US is concerned but hitchen's position on israel didn't stop him from being a racist sexist twathole who, with the help of richard dawkins, poisoned the idea of new atheism for anyone who isn't a straight white teenage male assclown.

christ he didnt even talk about it that much, he was too busy defacing posters in lebanon and saying women aren't funny and just generally being a horrid clown

Archived