IGNORED

Free Exclusive Autechre Track '6852' With Japan Benefit Ticket Purchase

Joyrex

I wonder if this was made with Japan and the disaster in mind or if this was just something laying around on their hard drives.

I'm really curious about this too... I'm hoping it's the most recent thing they've done so we may get more of this :)

what makes you think it sounds rob brown and not sean booth??

sean has a very distinctive drum programming style. he can pick up a drum machine and make it sound like him, if that makes sense. his style sounds hip-hop influenced, but with a very clipped, almost militaristic feel to it. he's got his own unique sense of timing. robs got a looser, funkier feel to his stuff, much more improv based. you really get a sense of how they interact listening to their concert bootlegs (esp. the untilted & quaristice tour stuff).

of course, i have no way of knowing for sure how this track was done. maybe it was a jam the 2 of them did, maybe it was sean intentionally trying to do a rob-style track, who knows. just from an initial listen, my first impression was that this sounds more like rob.

on one hand, i don't like disecting this stuff. i like the 'autechre' mystique and the sense of mystery behind it. on the other hand, the fanboy in me can't help but want to peek under the hood a little bit and figure out how this stuff is made.

Funnily enough this totally checks out with something I downloaded the other day, check it out:

http://mytapeupinhere.blogspot.com/search/label/Rob%20Brown

it's pretty good from the youtube version, i'm gonna wait til it's on bleep though, to get a high quality version and hear in on my stereo/in my car. i'm sure it won't be too long before they put it up for sale. very funky shit though, no doubt. their output over the last couple years never ceases to amaze me with how varied it all is

Guest Gravity

I emailed Bleep about them ever releasing it separately and they said they don't plan on it.

So, uh, it'd be nice if anyone, uh... :whistling:

Guest the anonymous forumite

Even my redneck cousin, Heywood P Emm, loves this track.

Nowadays, when artists release music, it's all over the world, on the international level, without a net.

Edited by the anonymous forumite

what makes you think it sounds rob brown and not sean booth??

sean has a very distinctive drum programming style. he can pick up a drum machine and make it sound like him, if that makes sense. his style sounds hip-hop influenced, but with a very clipped, almost militaristic feel to it. he's got his own unique sense of timing. robs got a looser, funkier feel to his stuff, much more improv based. you really get a sense of how they interact listening to their concert bootlegs (esp. the untilted & quaristice tour stuff).

of course, i have no way of knowing for sure how this track was done. maybe it was a jam the 2 of them did, maybe it was sean intentionally trying to do a rob-style track, who knows. just from an initial listen, my first impression was that this sounds more like rob.

on one hand, i don't like disecting this stuff. i like the 'autechre' mystique and the sense of mystery behind it. on the other hand, the fanboy in me can't help but want to peek under the hood a little bit and figure out how this stuff is made.

I also had the impression that the last time I saw them live sean is very much into wild insane drums while rob is more into melodies. Sure its too easy to just nail it like this but its interesting that you had the same impression of this tendency.

I always wonder if Quaristice is more Seans work while Oversteps is more Robs work. (not in total but who was the main influence or who kind of took the lead in the project) I would definitively play with these things if I was them.

Edited by o00o

To be fair, nobody has any idea who's doing what on any track, even from seeing them live. So Sean likes playing with beats more and Rob likes oblique sound design, that doesn't really indicate anything given the less beat driven early albums and their similar music interests.

Anyone presuming to know is talking out of their arse. Wild speculation, nothing more. Autechre's mystique are one of the things that make them interesting, just enjoy it.

Also, great track. How do they manage to sound so outside of current trends yet seem so cutting edge is baffling.

Well color me buttfucked! I always thought Ae bonus tracks were wanky but this is great, especially the vocal stuff from about the 6 min mark on...neato

edit: i also wonder about the Sean Rob stuff, I do wonder if confield and draft were more rob, and oversteps more sean...except for known which seems like sean cheekiness dripped on top!

Edited by lumpenprol

Also, great track. How do they manage to sound so outside of current trends yet seem so cutting edge is baffling.

yea this. and they release lots of stuff (cough boc cough afx cough)

Guest Greg Reason

it's definitely the 'when the levee breaks' break.

ae using a led zep sample, well who'd a thunk it?

track is amazing btw

FFS this is not When the Levee Breaks

The drums for that were recorded with 2 Beyer M160s on the room

The drums on this track are obviously close-mic'ed

How anyone thinks this is the same recording I cannot understand; COMPLETELY different sound

It's not as if it's a particularly unique drum pattern either

John Bonham sample, right?

Almost, anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxzil4v4GIg

How anyone thinks this is the same recording I cannot understand; COMPLETELY different sound

It's not as if it's a particularly unique drum pattern either

Agree, but it was similar enough I had to double check.