IGNORED

Free Exclusive Autechre Track '6852' With Japan Benefit Ticket Purchase

Joyrex

Guest theSun

i think pegging an album as "more rob" or "more sean" is pretty silly. however, i do see some similarities in recorded stuff and what i assumed i was observing live.

take vproc for example. this sounds like a beat that rob put together and sean took out for dinner.

lcc is totally rob/melody sean/beatz

quaristice IMO -

rob beats - bnc castl, fwze; rob melody - theplcs, tankakerns, altibizz mostly, altychre

SEAN - plyphon sounds like straight sean to me (not sure why), the beats on most everything sound a lot like sean.

but then there are tracks like out9hx, fol3-4, notwotwo4, simmm and a lot of perlence that i'm like wtfigotnotclue

i bet they're having some laffs as i'm all wrong lolol

i just wonder the things sean does besides crazy beets amirite

Guest Balance

What a great track :)

The beats, cymbal, voices and bass are perfect, that humm vocal at the end is fantastic, makes me think of woodstock.

They're on a rich vein of form I hope they release even more soon ;)

Guest bitroast

agreed.

with new autechre only being released last year, i thought i was satisfied with ae for a bit and ready to anticipate new boc/ae/plaid/etc.

however, this track.. is just.. too good. i want more already : D

I'm not really sure where the Draft comparisons come from. This clicked instantly where I still consider Draft their most baffling album. Maybe it has something to do with the timbre or sound palette, something about Draft turns me off almost instantly. especially on tracks like V-proc and Reniform Puls which I consider to be among the very few intolerable songs in their repertoire. I know I'm gonna bring some heat for this one but after like 100 listens I still don't really get the appeal. That said, I love 6852 and almost everything else they have done with a passion.

Guest sljiva

Trouble with Draft is that it contains too much tracks in which some nasty background beats are trying to avert your focus from the interesting stuff in the foreground. It's like 2 tracks are playing at the same time - good one and a really shitty one, and the shitty one is completely fucking up the good one. They have some fancy production name for it - generative programming or something. It basically adds nothing to the whole listening experience and subtracts an awful lot.

This track is nothing like that. It manages to be complex and elaborate without artificially complex cheap production tricks. It's also pretty straightforward and linear in the vein of their later (Oversteps, MoT) material. Though I like when a track completely changes its face multiple times (technique which was poorly utilized on Draft - case in point: Reniform Puls - awesome beginning, awfuly wankery towards the end), it's also nice to hear a long track which basic structure stays intact and still succeeds to remain interesting the whole time.

Edited by sljiva

artificially complex production tricks? interesting, i'd love to hear what 'actual' complex production tricks sound like in electronic by comparison!

I believe the sentence before the one you're referring to, implies an example.

Guest Balance

Reniform Puls - awesome beginning, awfuly wankery towards the end)

I used to think that way about Puls, but I love the end more than the start now, it's like relaxing waves, same with the last track on Confield.

Sometimes I even fast-forward Puls so I can hear "the good" bit! :D

I don't really care about the techniques used just the end result, if it's a good track or not.

Awww maaaaaan. When the beat kicks in at like 1:24 in V-Proc it's hard not to feel all cyborg b-boy about it and wanna start breakdancing like one.

I think 6852 is unquestionably one of my favorite AE tracks of all times. Hip hop that melts faces.

It's like 2 tracks are playing at the same time - good one and a really shitty one, and the shitty one is completely fucking up the good one. They have some fancy production name for it - generative programming or something.

fucking lol++

Trouble with Draft is that it contains too much tracks in which some nasty background beats are trying to avert your focus from the interesting stuff in the foreground. It's like 2 tracks are playing at the same time - good one and a really shitty one, and the shitty one is completely fucking up the good one. They have some fancy production name for it - generative programming or something. It basically adds nothing to the whole listening experience and subtracts an awful lot.

I think you nailed it, and it really only happens on this album which is weird. Untilted and Quaristice turned me off in a few spots but for the most part they're solid albums, and other than that I love pretty much all of the rest of their catalog. Draft would be a decent album, but Surripere and the last three tracks totally have this effect on me, where they start off interesting and then the timbre or structure starts to sound like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't think it's the complexity as I love Confield and most of their more "challenging" work, just something about these tracks make them a chore for me. If it was a shorter EP or something I think I would like it a lot better.

Untilted is kind of the exact opposites, where a lot of tracks start of pretty abstract and then coalesce into their structure, which I like a lot better. Tracks like Ipacial and Augmatic Disport start off pretty fractured and then end up pretty cool. I still can't get past the beginning of Ipacial though, those high pitched buzzing noises like the ones at the end of Reniform just give me a headache. Maybe I'm getting old, lol.

6852 I love though, a nice mix of the abstract and their more traditional sound structure, and that boom bap to boot.

I think you nailed it, and it really only happens on this album which is weird. Untilted and Quaristice turned me off in a few spots but for the most part they're solid albums, and other than that I love pretty much all of the rest of their catalog. Draft would be a decent album, but Surripere and the last three tracks totally have this effect on me, where they start off interesting and then the timbre or structure starts to sound like nails on a chalkboard to me. I don't think it's the complexity as I love Confield and most of their more "challenging" work, just something about these tracks make them a chore for me. If it was a shorter EP or something I think I would like it a lot better.

Untilted is kind of the exact opposites, where a lot of tracks start of pretty abstract and then coalesce into their structure, which I like a lot better. Tracks like Ipacial and Augmatic Disport start off pretty fractured and then end up pretty cool. I still can't get past the beginning of Ipacial though, those high pitched buzzing noises like the ones at the end of Reniform just give me a headache. Maybe I'm getting old, lol.

6852 I love though, a nice mix of the abstract and their more traditional sound structure, and that boom bap to boot.

i used to feel the same way about draft, especially P.:NTIL. the layers in that track always seemed kind of random and mismatched to me at first. but i gained a new appreciation for it and the rest of draft recently, listening to it on different systems. maybe it's just because i've heard it so much that i'm used to it now but i can hear how the melodies go together in ways i didn't really get before. if i listen to the whole mix as background music it sounds a little disjointed, but i find if i focus on one layer for a while, i can pick up on the harmonic similarities tying it to everything else in the song, even though those other layers are still doing their own thing and going off in their own directions.

oh and 6852 is tight. yeah good track

Edited by Boxus