IGNORED

South Korea buries a million pigs alive

Guest Iain C

no one wants to take me up on the ants thing?

We get an ant-invasion in our house every 2nd or 3rd year (for whatever reason), we added an extra room to the house before we moved in. Where there's a room now, there used to be garden, and apparently it crossed the ants' ancient walking path, and they didn't feel like adjusting, so the ants just kept coming in and walking through the house. When they were in though, they came across all the tasty stuff from the nearby kitchen so they then left their path. As cool as it is that the ants remember their path over several years - however they do that considering all pheromone-trails must have been destroyed by the construction workers - we were pretty pissed about it.

When I was a kid, I wanted to solve the problem by making an "X-Tra Efficient Ant Poison" - Naturally, I'd take the most viciously colored things I could find and mashed them all together. I didn't hesitate on spending my pocket money on it. Now, what's the most extreme colored thing a kid in the 90's could come across? Damn right, it was CANDY. Effervescent powder to be precise. Yeah ... I wanted to poison the ants by feeding them sugar water. :sup:

the pig video is horrible but I felt I should still share this stupid story.

if bugs were as big as pigs, then they'd really, REALLY need to be killed. here's why

you do realize that's not a bug

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

i think a lot of people feel that if they don't eat meat and live a pure lifestyle blah blah that the world will cease to be violent, random, and messy.

hi troon

1. All Asians have a flagrant disregard for life intended for consumption. This is a stereotype that is 100% valid and anyone, Asians included, would agree. More recently, love of pets that is similar to the West--dogs and cats as family--is catching on but this will take time.

in south korea, cows are traditionally raised until they are upwards of three years old, instead of the less-than-one-year that cows are raised before slaughter in the states. along with that, factory farming is nowhere apparent in south korea like it is in the states. so what exactly are you talking about? aside from that, the whole "all asians" generalization is an unintentional lol.

1. All Asians have a flagrant disregard for life intended for consumption. This is a stereotype that is 100% valid and anyone, Asians included, would agree. More recently, love of pets that is similar to the West--dogs and cats as family--is catching on but this will take time. Japan seems to have come the furthest when it comes to not treating animals like shit but they still have all that dolphin blood on their hands so...

A Chinese friend of Phil loves cats. He said he owned many in his life. So many that we started to wonder - how many exactly did you own simultaneously? Turns out, he only ever had one cat at a time and thought the average lifespan for a cat was two years because his kept dying :sad:

@ Dolphins - www.thecovemovie.com

i wouldn't go "all asians" but at least in china and possibly in chinas sphere of influence defeating nature and ruling over natural world was (is?) held to high regard, probably stems from the historical struggle against floods. it's even apparent in chinese traditional shrieky singing. so this might be one of the elements in disregard for animal life..

Guest hahathhat

if i had to take an ignorant guess, i'd say they disregard individual welfare because they place higher value in the community than the individual? korea's all, these pigs are fucked, we can't eat them. if we keep them they might spread foot & mouth. sorry pigs! you are being sacrificed for the good of the community.

in the west, animals have names.

Guest Iain C

it's not the fact that the pigs are being culled - we had a massive livestock cull in the UK in 2005 due to an outbreak of foot and mouth. that's just the way the agriculture business works. the issue is with the way they're going about it.

I didn't want watch the video, but i remember seeing some videos of the same thing going on in Egypt some time ago.

Shit is depressing, flithy fucks who does that kind of thing should be buried alive themselves.

Guest hahathhat

it's not the fact that the pigs are being culled - we had a massive livestock cull in the UK in 2005 due to an outbreak of foot and mouth. that's just the way the agriculture business works. the issue is with the way they're going about it.

i guess i was saying, they're probably watching us freak out and saying to themselves, "...what? what's the problem?"

The noise is horrendous. This has really depressed me, I know the meat trade is generally atrocious but this is utterly terrible to watch. I don't know how you could do a full shift working there and not have it haunt you for ages

Guest drukqs

The suffering they’re going through must be unimaginable. Slowly being trampled, crushed, and suffocated by hundreds of other screaming bodies.

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

i think a lot of people feel that if they don't eat meat and live a pure lifestyle blah blah that the world will cease to be violent, random, and messy.

hi troon

yea, I dont really understand how viewing a video like this would make you not want to eat meat. i was thinking about eating meatloaf yesterday while i watched this video.

2. Anything with a nervous system has the capacity to suffer. It doesn't matter if you're talking about us all the way down to the ladder nervous system of flatworms. So, yes, ants and rodents suffer when they consume warfarin and bleed to death from the inside but it's all relative: is that better or worse than being claustrophobically crowded and suffocated?

Maybe this is ridiculous, but I would take that a step further. The nervous system is present to transmit information about the goings on in and around the body. Pain is the information received about trauma, which leads to fear for survival. Wouldn't all life forms have some kind of system like this? It's seems to be the prerogative of everything to survive and reproduce. So why would it be that say plants for example, would be indifferent? They operate on a much different time scale than we do, they communicate differently, are less mobile. But, they seek out conditions that are in the best interest for them within the reach of their environment and resources.

I always hear of the evils of factory farming, far less of monoculture and when I do it's always about the dangers of losing bio-diversity and for the sake not endangering the food supply. But, I would say that plants equally to animals seem to enjoy living in communities with other plants that can helpfully share resources and skills with them. The relationship between trees and mushrooms is a good example. Anywhere you go in the wild you will see certain groups of plants living together.

Life is completely dependent on death, it's unavoidable.

That being said, there is really no need to encourage suffering when it's not necessary.

Eating what you kill and feeling thankful seems the most ethical solution.

Archived