IGNORED

South Korea buries a million pigs alive

Guest Iain C

no i can't, i'm sorry. they suffer anyway.

No they wouldn't, how would they?

And yea, me too Yikes. Peta goes about things the wrong way.

you stopped eating pig meat, but they still got tossed in the pit and got buried alive. what exactly is the connection between you and those (now dead) pigs? obviously, your actions didn't save them from suffering nor death.

We don't think our actions alone will stop the suffering of animals, but I and other vegetarians/vegans are not helping to perpetuate the suffering. It's part boycott, part I don't want E. Coli/Growth Hormone Meat.

In a bigger picture, we are helping. Not vegetarians necessarily, but all people who refuse to eat factory farmed meat. Because of this demand for an alternative we now have organic food stores, where animals are free range. Factory farms are making no money on these people.

yeah, i know. it's okay, in my eyes you're doing no harm (but no good either). i don't want to fight, though i'm up for a discussion.

I think as a big group we are in fact helping a little. None of our money goes to factory farmed livestock. That is A LOT of money. The more people who do this, the less money they will make.

Of course I'm not just doing it to "Stick it to the man". I think it's healthier, I don't want to have a part in having animals suffer (Although I'm not vegan, and the dairy industry is just as bad), and I don't know, it makes me feel better. At least I'm not praying for the animals and leaving it at that. :emotawesomepm9:

And yea, definitely up for a discussion.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I can dodge all of those e. coli breakouts.

Wasn't there an e. coli outbreak involving spinach over here a few months back?

Good point, fix'd.

Also, I can dodge some of those e. coli breakouts.

Although there are many cases of meat-bourne illnesses.

Guest Sprigg

Good point, fix'd.

Also, I can dodge some of those e. coli breakouts.

Although there are many cases of meat-bourne illnesses.

Oh, definitely. Seems like every year there's a few... it's bound to happen at some point, I guess.

If I could afford it and bothered researching supplements/ soy and find a way to give up chicken, I'd be willing to give vegetarianism a go. I already avoid everything but fish and poultry as meat generally disgusts me, but chicken, mmmmmm, no way I can stop eating the birds.

chen I know you have a vested interest in being Asia's defender but don't do it out of reflex and without anything other than calling me "ricky retardo" or saying "I'm sure the West is worst". It's patently false. Do you think someone with my education and meticulous way of going about things would just pull things out of my ass to be racist? I'm not going to source the things I'm referring to because they're too disturbing to go back over but lump's fish story is a great shorthand.

1. Rednecks skin deer...after they're dead. Who do you think is doing the live skinning for fur? China. It doesn't absolve Western buyers but at least they get an incredible amount of shit here because virtually everyone agrees that the fur trade is gruesome and pointless except for some ultra-rich haute couture folks.

2. America is egregious with factory farming but there is a USDA to prevent some broadstroke things like "no downer" laws, provisions for animal health and the use of stunning measures prior to slaughter so that there isn't the squealing hell of what the Koreans did. Iain C was right--culling is part and parcel of agribusiness but there are right ways and wrong ways.

Your family's Korean so you are bound to come in here and slag off haters but you have a poor argument...particularly when the OP and other posts provide support for mine. I get your pan-Asian dig because it sounds racist of me but it's pointless to "itemize" the exceptions when the rule is much more widespread and useful for the sake of argument.

The whole lumping together of Asia is particularly galling coming from someone like you. Asia is a region that has 3.5 billion people - to say all of them have a flagrant disregard for life intended for consumption is ridiculous. Would you say the Dalai Lama has a flagrant disregard for life intended for consumption (he's not vegetarian by the way)? Millions of buddhists eat meat, they are as a rule, very grateful for the meat they are going to eat. Millions is not itemizing exceptions. How about some Korean responses? Link

I'm not defending the video - that's disgraceful. I'm just disgusted that people would use this as a chance to promote the idea that "asians have a flagrant disregard for life". The majority are just as ignorant of factory farming practices as those in the west. Your "no downer" laws came into effect 2 years ago, and at present only apply to cattle. Link Korea has the equivalent of the USDA and their policies are right there in English to read. Link

Those pigs could have been be easily killed and turned into delicious pork meat. Pork meat is so tasty and good, why would you bury it? And if those pigs were infected or something like that, they could have just sent them to prisons and be fed to people in death sentences. :trashbear:

God damn that is some bullet proof logic, right there.

Guest yikes

why didn't they burn them?

FOOLS!

now they are facing an ecological/environmental disaster and might re infect their country again/the same plague

the art of animal husbandry is lost to factory farming and factory sheeple blindly consuming "THEY HAVE A GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO EAT WHATEVER THE IDIOTIC FOOD STEWARDS HAVE MASS PRODUCED TO BE NICELY DISPLAYED IN THAT HI TECH WELL LIT ENDLESS SUPERMARKET"

i've got an ant infestation right now, and i didnt feel good about poisoning them, but i fucking did it last night anyways. i want to let everything leave peacefully, and so on, but it crosses the line from choice into need when they're fucking biting you when you're laying in bed, and crawling out of your synthesizers and speakers when you turn them on.

Yeah, my apartment has ants, even though I'm several floors up, they get in through the heating system... I've had them crawl out of my laptop, they ruined the power supply on my last PC, and I've even had a few crawl behind the glass on my LCD TV (fortunately, they've yet to get stuck, it would be like the ultimate dead pixel). I actually fed them sugar+borax for months, they seemed to love eating it, but the numbers never decreased, so I gave up.

i've got an ant infestation right now, and i didnt feel good about poisoning them, but i fucking did it last night anyways. i want to let everything leave peacefully, and so on, but it crosses the line from choice into need when they're fucking biting you when you're laying in bed, and crawling out of your synthesizers and speakers when you turn them on.

Yeah, my apartment has ants, even though I'm several floors up, they get in through the heating system... I've had them crawl out of my laptop, they ruined the power supply on my last PC, and I've even had a few crawl behind the glass on my LCD TV (fortunately, they've yet to get stuck, it would be like the ultimate dead pixel). I actually fed them sugar+borax for months, they seemed to love eating it, but the numbers never decreased, so I gave up.

Some species of ant get horny when you feed them Borax, and multiply even more.

According to a Cracked/Wikipedia article I read

Are you sure that isn't footage of the audience at a justin bieber concert?

lol

I've raised chickens and have had no problem slaughtering one once in a while, especially the roosters. They had comfortable cushy lives and their meat tastes damn good. I don't think I could personally do in a pig though, they're too intelligent.

Guest Fatcaesar

This is horrible.. imagine the mental pain the pigs suffer while buried alive =/ Have the fucking humanity to slaughter them first you fucking korean fucks..

Guest mafted

pretty ungodly. how any of those workers could do that is beyond me. oh, look, one is crying. boo hoo you fucking hypocrite.

did they bury the spinach?

Korean scientist writing in notebook: "Experiment unsuccessful. Why American say pigs fly? Pigs no fly."

...some day they'll discover that plants have been making the most ungodly shrieking when they are uprooted, it's just beyond the frequency of human hearing...

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!"

Guest hahathhat

did they bury the spinach?

and sample it?

There's a difference between bugs and animals, probably the reason.

is it just the size? the ease with which they're killed and swept away? if humans were 100x bigger than pigs, would it be different?

please elaborate on your reasoning, i'm genuinely interested.

soap is poisonous to a wide variety of small invertebrates and single-celled organisms. when you use soap, you do so to deliberately kill such creatures. presumably you use soap. where do you draw the line?

you draw the line between choice and need

Well if its in a supermarket isnt it more like a need? If I ran a business and saw those in or around the premises, id kill them to. Now I would have thousands right by my front door, but they mind their business and they are quite interesting to watch tho

Archived