IGNORED

No love for Cabaret Voltaire?!?

Hey. Just watched through my old CDs, and yeah. Before and while the WARP records big bang started, I listened a lot to Cabaret Voltaire. You probably know Richard H. Kirk from Sweet Exorcist. SE - similar style (darkish), but more minimal.

Still loving CV! I searched watmm for "cabaret voltaire" - 0 entries. WTF?!

Now playing the plasticity album. My favourites are the first ("Low Cool") and last track:

Love many tracks of them. Special love for the Body and Soul album. There's also some stuff I didn't like. Cannot say which, but it was, that they often only start ideas, start melodies, but do not finish them, not leading to a climax.

Edited by Guest

Guest ploom2

my first cab Voltaire purchases were from 90's warp , i then bought other sandoz/richard h kirk stuff.

plasticity was really good, though i havent listened to it for year...time to dig it out.

i think i saw them live at hacienda in early 90's with guy called gerald support...

split second feeling

do the mussolini (headkick)

spies in the wires

theme for earthskaer

nag nag nag

obsession

seconds too late

richard h. kirk:

the emperor

the whole Virutal State album

Any love for "Sprit Guide to Low Tech" as Sweet Exorcist? Cannot find it currently (where the fuck do I have it :-), but I remember I was bored by it, not really what I expected from the Sweet Exorcist Duo.

Guest hahathhat

i have one little album with track "landslide" which i love. the cabaret voltaire dude (or one of them, anyways) was in some documentary on synthpop. he looked like squarepusher crossed with a furry.

this is all i know, thanks for the forum thread.

Is that Red Mecca? I'd need to double check the track listing but that's probably my favourite of their early albums. Other stuff from that time and earlier tends to be much patchier though invariably there are some absolute gems in there. I remember Richard H Kirk being on that documentary... he struck me as a darts player gone wrong these days.

For me, the hands down best Cabs release is Drinking Gasoline. The synths on it are just great sounding. The other albums which sit near the top of the tree are both live weirdly enough - Hai! the live album from Japan, really menacing version of Over And Over on it, and the live collection Radiation of recordings for the BBC.

As for Richard H Kirk's post-Cabs stuff... there is a lot good stuff but I found by the time we got into the 2000s it just got awfully repetative and the psuedonym's became meaningless. That said, Intoxica by Nitrogen is quality stuff especially for fans of early-mid Warp. The Orchestra Terrestrial cd is good droning ambient stuff.

Eh... that's it for just now.

i lucked out and found a copy of 2x45 on lp a while back. really neat cover art that reminds me of early warp/inculabula artwork (but 10 years earlier).

really like their johnny yesno soundtrack too.

Guest glasse

Never got real into/familiar with the early stuff, but I had The Conversation and The Number of Magic and liked those, especially The Conversation (was this the last CV album?)

Also, Acid Horse!

• 1 month later...
Guest Greg Reason

Cabaret Voltaire are wicked. The first couple of albums really do it for me

• 2 years later...