IGNORED

Describe why you hate acid

acidphakist

i dont hate it, but 99% of it does absolutely nothing for me. im the kind of person who doesnt like 'genre' music.. so genres where everything sounds more or less the same are off putting . same thing with metal and dub step. for me to actually feel like spending my time listening to an artist there has to be something pretty special or unique about them , or they have to take my mind to a place its never been .

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had two MPCs and love them but it is definitely like noise said just a fancy sampler. Not even that fancy, I guess. No magic there at all, just a really really solid and fairly small list of features. In a good way. But still I'm not sure how "not enough MPC" is a valid criticism of acid. What JJOS features are you referring to?

I do agree that a lack of fun action in the mix (either via automation or twiddling) is a good criticism of bad acid. Move those faders!

Anyway the reason I "hate" acid is because of the 303 sequencer. What I mean is: the 303 is awesome, but it's pretty unusual equipment in the sense that it's VERY easy to write a mediocre but okay acid line on it, yet it's very hard to write an AWESOME acid line on it. It's also very hard to sound entirely crappy using it.

I mean you can sometimes just mash the buttons and come up with something usable, but how many simply "usable" acid lines do we really all want to hear? I say leave the 303 at home unless you've cooked up a few patterns with some REAL LEGIT and INSPIRED funk or melody to them. Down with unremarkable 303 patterns!

Guest hahathhat

I've had two MPCs and love them but it is definitely like noise said just a fancy sampler. Not even that fancy, I guess. No magic there at all, just a really really solid and fairly small list of features. In a good way. But still I'm not sure how "not enough MPC" is a valid criticism of acid. What JJOS features are you referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXR8uWAesVw

ok, it's not acid at all. but it's also not boring

Drukqs is probably the last album i can think of that actually used the 303 or 'acid sound' in a really compelling way. A lot of people i hear making acid are really talented, i just think some of them need to get out of their comfort zone more and use a different sound palette, it's not even the composition thats an issue most of the time.

These are great points. Also agree about a 303 showing up unexpectedly and how awesome that is. Acid is such a great novelty when you listen to it for the first 100,000 times though, and stuff like YosePH and Analord have such personality despite the saminess of the genre. How does one make their acid stand out? Clark did it with Look Into The Heart Now.

Guest hahathhat

These are great points. Also agree about a 303 showing up unexpectedly and how awesome that is. Acid is such a great novelty when you listen to it for the first 100,000 times though, and stuff like YosePH and Analord have such personality despite the saminess of the genre. How does one make their acid stand out? Clark did it with Look Into The Heart Now.

wait, clark is acid? i thought he used an mpc.

It suffers from the same problems of any other style of music with a very specific genre criteria...there's only so much you can do within the narrowly defined borders of what constitutes acid before it all starts to sound very samey and bland.

In a nutshell. Reminds me a little of this short film I saw a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=675VwLdVz8U

Guest Tamas

Guess I've been away from the Internet for too long haha, but I never realized people here hated acid, or if anyone even does. This is the second time I've seen this mentioned, though. I don't know, to me, I like the "acid sound", but I don't like every band or musician that uses it. Though I've heard a lot of proper acid in the last few years and a lot of it is recent, so I can't imagine ever disliking the genre. It depends on what style acid it is too, because you can have acid house, which to me, is a more repetitive variant, but then, IDM has acid elements and can sound very different, so I think the idea that it's a dry well with no possibility for innovations etc is crazy.

Dubstep seems a lot worse to me, because what makes it popular, is the bland stuff, but for acid, the great stuff is what made it popular, how can you hate that?

Dubstep seems a lot worse to me, because what makes it popular, is the bland stuff, but for acid, the great stuff is what made it popular, how can you hate that?

wut?

Guest Tamas

wut?

Maybe this is different in Europe, but in Canada, most people I know experienced and understand what acid is because of things like Luke Vibert, Aphex Twin, The Tuss, etc. Dubstep, though, has been mostly popularized at raves etc where people don't really care about the music since they'll be too fucked to really even pay attention to it. I don't know, I just think it's strange to dislike a genre that has grown when things exist that just stagnate, like dubstep.

I hate acid and dubstep.

I hate it because of this:

People making dubstep and acid are now trying to sound like each other. There is a certain "ideal sound" to aspire to with genre's like this. Genre's like ambient for example covers such a broad range, it's more about an attitude towards how the music is listened to than what it sounds like, so you get stuff like Brian Eno, Aphex Twin, and Global Communication, all sounding COMPLETELY different but within the same genre (obviously not on all albums but you get what I mean).

Acid and dubstep on the other hand, all sounds a particular way. The closer someone gets to a particular ideal model, the happier they are with their work. Rather than inspiring artists to create, it motivates them to replicate. And it's replicating a really really horribly boring, dull, lifeless, obnoxious sound, over and over and over and over and over again.

I can't tell the difference between any of Analord and Luke Vibert acid and any of the acid producers on this forum. If you made a compilation of all that stuff together it would not only sound like the same artist to me, it would sound like the SAME SONG.

lol, you guys are harsh.

I just listened to Chosen Lords for the first time in a while, and I must say it's in a league of its own. There is a remarkably big stylistic stretch between what Richard did and what had come before it, considering the tools and methods he used were shared by countless many before him. There's certainly room for a skilled artist to have their own voice within this genre, despite all the rules. As with anything, if you haven't experienced a lot of what exists within a genre your ears aren't necessarily going to pick up on those aspects that make one artist unique over another. It's like there's a lot of people who consider all death metal to sound the same, but anyone who's familiar with a lot of it can hear a pretty diverse range within it. That said, the idea of deliberately working within the parameters of any genre does strike me as pretty silly... but hey, some people are happy doing just that.

I have a boner for how 303 sounds and probably always will.

Fuckin' AFX Acid, Ceephax Acid, Vsnares Acid, Automatic Tasty Acid, wAgAwAgA Acid, Luke's Acid, etc. Love it.

I can't tell the difference between any of Analord and Luke Vibert acid and any of the acid producers on this forum. If you made a compilation of all that stuff together it would not only sound like the same artist to me, it would sound like the SAME SONG.

I hope for your sake that you are trolling...

Guest Calx Sherbet

Yeah, what autopilot and soundwave said.

I do actually like acid, but it's not a genre I feel the need to own a huge amount of releases from. There aren't many genres that are as narrowly defined as acid, because of its reliance on one very particular sound (namely the 303).

and there are some artists who really give it their own flavour. that's all i really care about it. and some that's just really good regardless of having ambiguous, unidentifiable traits. i think it's a VERY consistently enjoyable genre in general. i'm not saying it has to be, but i just wish there was more harsh, heavy hitting, in your face acid. the kind that doesn't fool around. like this:

[youtubehd]z6-VmU2GSvY[/youtubehd]

i feel like this style just isn't really made anymore, at least not that i've been made aware of. just sounds like it's old and not coming back

i'm excited for the new Kosmik Kommando

I hope for your sake that you are trolling...

yea that's a fairly ignorant statement. hoping it's a troll indeed. luke's acid, for the most part, seems rather different from afx

like i said, different flavours. not saying they WON'T be misconstrued at all, but there is quite the variety. just listen to Kettel's take on acid!

Guest Calx Sherbet

couldn't edit the post in time, but i needed to mention frost jockey. now that's good music

Acid loves you. And you. :emotawesomepm9:

I think, as with all genres, you cannot beat it to death. There are still people listening to whatever, despite that whatever was claimed to be dead years ago. Insert Rock, Dub, Grunge, whatever you want.

Also, it´s evolving, too. Sure most of the material used is nostalgic, but it has evoluted into something new lately, Jodey Kendrick for example, in my ears he sounds new at the same time sounding old. Difficult to explain. Listening is easier.

ah hell, this too!

i do not hate acid. i just hate acid when i don't find it inspired and unique

I'm really not trying to be an asshole. Seriously.

But

are you functionally retarded, or just a troll?

Archived