IGNORED

Share Your Favorite Documentaries Thread!

Guest Al5x

Guest Space Coyote

And Crips and Bloods looks awesome but there are no seeders, i don't have netflix and rogers video is shit!

Don't get your hopes up, it is really not that special. Also not sure where you're looking that has no seeders for it. PM sent

helvetica is brilliant yeh

agree

forgot about that one but yea it was really good

edit: that reminds me, wasn't there another doc by the same guy due out called objects or something like that?

Objectified

So I've watched a couple docs thanks to this thread.

First: Man on Wire --the version I torrented had no subtitles, so anytime his girlfriend spoke it was frustrating, and she talked a lot. It was fascinating hearing the story of them actually going through with the Twin Towers stunt, and just the idea of him walking around up there made me shudder. It's strange feeling fear for someone else even when you know they in advance that they made it through unscathed, and victorious at that. It's the sort of doc that doesn't really need to be more than a half hour, but worth seeing anyway.

Decline of Western Civilization II: I found this hard to watch. It was great, just... what an unfortunate scene to have ever emerged. I felt kind of depressed afterward. It really does make every other pop culture fad seem not-so-bad by contrast. I guess the kids today are alright.

Guest Space Coyote

I watched Decline of Western Civilization part 2 tonight also. I've seen the series referenced around the place a lot and I had expectations that it was a classic and would be at least mildly entertaining.

WRONG. The 80's 'metal' bands shown here are boring and obnoxious. This doco provides little insight into their lives. I really don't understand why this gets any praise. The 'infamous' Ozzy/orange juice is unbelievably overrated. I couldn't even tell that he was meant to be wasted or was experiencing some sort of 'shakes' to cause him to spill it. Why does anyone remember that?

If you like bands like Kiss, Poison and Aerosmith then you might get more out of this but I'm going to go out on a limb saying despite the diverse tastes of the WATMM members, most of them don't include these shitty bands.

I can see some people enjoying this more than others but I really struggle to imagine the kind of person that could list this documentary as a favorite.

You want a good documentary? Watch Einstein's Brain instead

Edited by Space Coyote

The Century of the Self (I recommend all of them) by Adam Curtis

Human Resources and Psywar by Scott Noble

Zeitgeist: Moving Forward by Peter Joseph

Blindspot by Adolfo Doring

The War You Don't See by John Pilger

Edited by Bread

Guest Space Coyote

The 80's 'metal' bands shown here are boring and obnoxious.

Thats the point, theyre still failing into the same Nigel Tuffnel cliches years after.

Heres a better indication of what heavy metal was in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqiS1CVuLWU

ahh ok, see I didn't like This is Spinal Tap at all either so that may be why DoWC part 2 failed on a fan level and a laugh-at-it level for me. I'll look into your link though. If it is actual heavy metal it'll probably be a lot easier for me to get into

Guest Dirty Protest

^^Its got Jimmy Page, Ozzy and Tony Iommi, Bruce fencing, Slayer, Bill Steer and Shane Embury =)

Edit: Been a while since I seen it, sorry not Tony, its Geezer. And Lee Dorrian not Steer, as I said its been a while. but im glad I reminded myself =)

Edited by Dirty Protest

Guest analogue wings

WRONG. The 80's 'metal' bands shown here are boring and obnoxious. This doco provides little insight into their lives. I really don't understand why this gets any praise. The 'infamous' Ozzy/orange juice is unbelievably overrated. I couldn't even tell that he was meant to be wasted or was experiencing some sort of 'shakes' to cause him to spill it. Why does anyone remember that?

It's infamous because it's really obviously faked. They suddenly cut to a close up and there obviously was only ever one camera so cutting to another angle is not possible.

Also way to completely miss the point of the movie.

Guest Space Coyote

It's infamous because it's really obviously faked. They suddenly cut to a close up and there obviously was only ever one camera so cutting to another angle is not possible.

Also way to completely miss the point of the movie.

I heard that it was faked but in the context of that scene it is really not that significant to me. Oh Ozzy can't pour orange juice at that particular moment - so what? For all I know he's distracted trying to talk to the interviewer.

Are you able to explain the point of the film to me please? I thought it was documenting some of players in a particular music scene during a particular era. It happens to be music I don't particuarly care for but I thought it was meant to be a better documentary in that you don't have to be a fan or laughing at it to get something out of it.

Anyway while I'm here I'll try recommend some stuff I enjoyed that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere yet. I'm pretty sure we've had at least a thread or two on this subject before though as this feels oddly familiar. I hope I don't double up on anything.

I'd also like to 'second' the following docs already mentioned - Cocaine Cowboys, 18 With a Bullet (I think this is actually a 3 or 4 part thing combined into one which is why it runs so long and has abrupt cuts), This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gunner Palace, King of Kong, American Movie, Dark Days, Jesus Camp, Style Wars, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, Jandek on Corwood (yep, not quite as good now he's been seen in public but still a hell of a legend and career), Hated: G.G. Allin and the Murder Junkies, Manson, Jonestown: The Life and Death of the Peoples Temple, Standing in the Shadows of Motown, Fat Belly: Chopper Unchopped, Heart of Darkness

A look into the world of a father posing as the ultimate open-minded, pill-popping dude. Scott's a 40-year-old preacher's son and a raver, enamored by marijuana and Ecstasy. This film highlights the effects of his lifestyle on both him and his family.

A look into the world of Scott, a father posing as the ultimate open-minded, pill-popping dude. Scott's a 40-year-old preacher's son and a raver, enamored by marijuana and Ecstasy. This film documents the effects of this hedonistic lifestyle on both him and his family.

Breakfast with Hunter (2003) is a documentary about the everyday life of gonzo-journalist Hunter S. Thompson by Wayne Ewing.

The film includes a variety of well-known figures involved with Thompson throughout his life, including P.J. O'Rourke, Ralph Steadman, Roxanne Pulitzer, Johnny Depp, Terry Gilliam and Benicio del Toro.

Follow Gavin Mcinnes as he stays awake for 5 Days with ZERO sleep, Documenting the World Movie Watching Championship. As 8 contestants compete for a Guinness Book World Record "Most consecutive movies watched without sleeping." Gavin quickly looses his shit and the film takes a sharp left turn into the depths of insanity and the disturbing underbelly of the american subconscious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qipv3B0qyg

The Goddess Bunny, the only truely glamorous star left in Hollywood.

The Goddess Bunny is a transvestite who was strucken with Polio when he was a child. His real name is Johnnie Baima and his stage name Sandie Crisp. The name Goddess Bunny is said to be just a nickname, but that nickname is what he is most known by. He has a large following in the gay & transgender community. You can also find The Goddess making a cameo in a Marilyn Manson video.

I've got stacks more I can recommend but this post is already obnoxiously long enough. Maybe I'll post more another time. I really recommend A Million in the Morning - I think that would gel well with a lot of WATMMers