Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Share Your Favorite Documentaries Thread!
search function etc. couldn't find etc.

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#51 essines

essines

I just wanna get up to my shack and get drunk.

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • 217 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

i'm sick so i'm just watching whatever i can right now. this thread has been a haven for me the last two days.

#52 yek

yek

MIDI received.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,015 posts
  • 746 topics
  • Joined 14-March 02

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 chaosmachine

chaosmachine

hasty boom alert via rdj

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • 449 topics
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:47 PM

Posted Image

Private Practices: The Story of a Sex Surrogate

#54 Guest_Dirty Protest_*

Guest_Dirty Protest_*
  • Guests
  • 13 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

Had to stop watching Alex Jones, cause hes a repetitive mental man. Watched this instead http://thoughtmaybe....ar-on-democracy, it was very good, but its quite high on anti-US sentiment, incase that sort of thing annoys you.

#55 Guest_Space Coyote_*

Guest_Space Coyote_*
  • Guests
  • 44 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:54 PM

And Crips and Bloods looks awesome but there are no seeders, i don't have netflix and rogers video is shit!

Don't get your hopes up, it is really not that special. Also not sure where you're looking that has no seeders for it. PM sent

#56 NDB

NDB

Bonjour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • 191 topics
  • Joined 22-May 08
  • Interests:the simpsons
  • Steam:newdirtyb

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

helvetica is brilliant yeh

agree

forgot about that one but yea it was really good

edit: that reminds me, wasn't there another doc by the same guy due out called objects or something like that?

Objectified

#57 impotentwhitecapitalist

impotentwhitecapitalist

Happy Cyclosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,191 posts
  • 449 topics
  • Joined 18-January 10

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

http://video.google....06186362541122#

Edited by impotentwhitecapitalist, 08 April 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#58 karmakramer

karmakramer

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,288 posts
  • 102 topics
  • Joined 01-March 08

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

Posted Image

Private Practices: The Story of a Sex Surrogate

read the rules

#59 chaosmachine

chaosmachine

hasty boom alert via rdj

• Site Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • 100 topics
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

that's a mipple. also, it's a quality doc.

#60 Guest_all_purpose_sandpaper_*

Guest_all_purpose_sandpaper_*
  • Guests
  • 93 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

oh really? bummer. - j garcia

#61 Guest_all_purpose_sandpaper_*

Guest_all_purpose_sandpaper_*
  • Guests
  • 746 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:37 AM

BUMMER

#62 Zephyr_Nova

Zephyr_Nova

QC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts
  • 603 topics
  • Joined 25-January 06
  • Interests:huntin', fishin', shootin' a gun, watchin' the game, taxidermy.

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:42 AM

So I've watched a couple docs thanks to this thread.

First: Man on Wire --the version I torrented had no subtitles, so anytime his girlfriend spoke it was frustrating, and she talked a lot. It was fascinating hearing the story of them actually going through with the Twin Towers stunt, and just the idea of him walking around up there made me shudder. It's strange feeling fear for someone else even when you know they in advance that they made it through unscathed, and victorious at that. It's the sort of doc that doesn't really need to be more than a half hour, but worth seeing anyway.

Decline of Western Civilization II: I found this hard to watch. It was great, just... what an unfortunate scene to have ever emerged. I felt kind of depressed afterward. It really does make every other pop culture fad seem not-so-bad by contrast. I guess the kids today are alright.

#63 Guest_Space Coyote_*

Guest_Space Coyote_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

I watched Decline of Western Civilization part 2 tonight also. I've seen the series referenced around the place a lot and I had expectations that it was a classic and would be at least mildly entertaining.

WRONG. The 80's 'metal' bands shown here are boring and obnoxious. This doco provides little insight into their lives. I really don't understand why this gets any praise. The 'infamous' Ozzy/orange juice is unbelievably overrated. I couldn't even tell that he was meant to be wasted or was experiencing some sort of 'shakes' to cause him to spill it. Why does anyone remember that?

If you like bands like Kiss, Poison and Aerosmith then you might get more out of this but I'm going to go out on a limb saying despite the diverse tastes of the WATMM members, most of them don't include these shitty bands.

I can see some people enjoying this more than others but I really struggle to imagine the kind of person that could list this documentary as a favorite.

You want a good documentary? Watch Einstein's Brain instead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMKUEZn1Cs

Edited by Space Coyote, 09 April 2011 - 09:12 AM.

#64 Guest_Dirty Protest_*

Guest_Dirty Protest_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

The 80's 'metal' bands shown here are boring and obnoxious.

Thats the point, theyre still failing into the same Nigel Tuffnel cliches years after.

Heres a better indication of what heavy metal was in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqiS1CVuLWU

#65 verticalhold

verticalhold

music must cup the balls

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Joined 11-April 08

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:33 AM

just watched The King of Kong
Spoiler

and it was good

...on to Helvetica now

#66 Bread

Bread

pay now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • Joined 20-July 06

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

The Century of the Self (I recommend all of them) by Adam Curtis
Human Resources and Psywar by Scott Noble
Zeitgeist: Moving Forward by Peter Joseph
Blindspot by Adolfo Doring
The War You Don't See by John Pilger

Edited by Bread, 09 April 2011 - 11:53 AM.

#67 yek

yek

MIDI received.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,015 posts
  • Joined 14-March 02

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

Posted Image

this was good... mentioned?

cocaine cowboys, yeah, and others...

ate at mcdonalds today :whistling:

#68 Guest_Space Coyote_*

Guest_Space Coyote_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:14 PM

The 80's 'metal' bands shown here are boring and obnoxious.

Thats the point, theyre still failing into the same Nigel Tuffnel cliches years after.

Heres a better indication of what heavy metal was in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqiS1CVuLWU

ahh ok, see I didn't like This is Spinal Tap at all either so that may be why DoWC part 2 failed on a fan level and a laugh-at-it level for me. I'll look into your link though. If it is actual heavy metal it'll probably be a lot easier for me to get into

#69 kaini

kaini

eat your greens, especially broccoli.

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,845 posts
  • Joined 16-November 05
  • Steam:richard P feynman

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

a lot of real metal bands had problems distinguishing 'this is spinal tap' from a real documentary, apparently.

#70 Guest_Dirty Protest_*

Guest_Dirty Protest_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

^^Its got Jimmy Page, Ozzy and Tony Iommi, Bruce fencing, Slayer, Bill Steer and Shane Embury =)

Edit: Been a while since I seen it, sorry not Tony, its Geezer. And Lee Dorrian not Steer, as I said its been a while. but im glad I reminded myself =)

Edited by Dirty Protest, 09 April 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#71 Guest_analogue wings_*

Guest_analogue wings_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

WRONG. The 80's 'metal' bands shown here are boring and obnoxious. This doco provides little insight into their lives. I really don't understand why this gets any praise. The 'infamous' Ozzy/orange juice is unbelievably overrated. I couldn't even tell that he was meant to be wasted or was experiencing some sort of 'shakes' to cause him to spill it. Why does anyone remember that?

It's infamous because it's really obviously faked. They suddenly cut to a close up and there obviously was only ever one camera so cutting to another angle is not possible.

Also way to completely miss the point of the movie.

#72 Guest_analogue wings_*

Guest_analogue wings_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

^ This is actually funnier than Spinal Tap, and it's all real.

#73 Guest_Space Coyote_*

Guest_Space Coyote_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:59 PM

It's infamous because it's really obviously faked. They suddenly cut to a close up and there obviously was only ever one camera so cutting to another angle is not possible.

Also way to completely miss the point of the movie.

I heard that it was faked but in the context of that scene it is really not that significant to me. Oh Ozzy can't pour orange juice at that particular moment - so what? For all I know he's distracted trying to talk to the interviewer.

Are you able to explain the point of the film to me please? I thought it was documenting some of players in a particular music scene during a particular era. It happens to be music I don't particuarly care for but I thought it was meant to be a better documentary in that you don't have to be a fan or laughing at it to get something out of it.

Anyway while I'm here I'll try recommend some stuff I enjoyed that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere yet. I'm pretty sure we've had at least a thread or two on this subject before though as this feels oddly familiar. I hope I don't double up on anything.

I'd also like to 'second' the following docs already mentioned - Cocaine Cowboys, 18 With a Bullet (I think this is actually a 3 or 4 part thing combined into one which is why it runs so long and has abrupt cuts), This Film is Not Yet Rated, Gunner Palace, King of Kong, American Movie, Dark Days, Jesus Camp, Style Wars, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, Jandek on Corwood (yep, not quite as good now he's been seen in public but still a hell of a legend and career), Hated: G.G. Allin and the Murder Junkies, Manson, Jonestown: The Life and Death of the Peoples Temple, Standing in the Shadows of Motown, Fat Belly: Chopper Unchopped, Heart of Darkness

Spoiler

I've got stacks more I can recommend but this post is already obnoxiously long enough. Maybe I'll post more another time. I really recommend A Million in the Morning - I think that would gel well with a lot of WATMMers

#74 Guest_Z_B_Z_*

Guest_Z_B_Z_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

holy shit i forgot about the goddess bunny. thanks for the link, that looks like a good one.

#75 Guest_Z_B_Z_*

Guest_Z_B_Z_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

i cant believe no ones mentioned 'bukowski: born into this'