IGNORED

Share Your Favorite Documentaries Thread!

Guest Al5x

it'd be so much fucking nicer if people surmised, even slightly, what the doc they are mentioning is about. it's annoying to have to google 15 or 20 names, and if it is a favorite doc you'd think you could said a couple of words to at least give a slight understanding as to what it is about.

^Union Square

A powerful look into the world of homeless heroin addicts UNION SQUARE captures the true and painful essence of drug addiction and drug - HEROIN. Stealing, shelters, hustling, detox and rehab - all is revealed in this

^This Is What Democracy Looks Like

This Is What Democracy Looks Like, a co-production of the IMC and Big Noise Films, weaves the footage of over 100 videographers into a gripping document of what really happened on Seattle’s streets. The film cuts through the confusion and tear gas to paint an intimate, passionate portrait of a week that changed the world.With narration by SUSAN SARANDON and SPEARHEAD's MICHAEL FRANTI, and with a driving soundtrack including RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, DJ SHADOW, DJ MUSAKA, and COMPANY OF PROPHETS, This Is What Democracy Looks Like is the first documentary to capture the raw energy of the WTO protests, while clarifying their global and historic significance.

The Independent Media Center provided a production infrastructure for over 450 media activists during the WTO protests in November 1999. With autonomous, volunteer-run media centers operating in four continents, ten countries and twenty-one cities, the IMC represents a new and powerful emerging model for independent media.

"The IMC isn't waiting for the old guard media to tell the true story. . . the IMC is simply doing the job itself, reporting directly form the front lines." Naomi Klein, author of NO LOGO

55 min.

^Union Square

A powerful look into the world of homeless heroin addicts UNION SQUARE captures the true and painful essence of drug addiction and drug - HEROIN. Stealing, shelters, hustling, detox and rehab - all is revealed in this

^This Is What Democracy Looks Like

This Is What Democracy Looks Like, a co-production of the IMC and Big Noise Films, weaves the footage of over 100 videographers into a gripping document of what really happened on Seattle’s streets. The film cuts through the confusion and tear gas to paint an intimate, passionate portrait of a week that changed the world.With narration by SUSAN SARANDON and SPEARHEAD's MICHAEL FRANTI, and with a driving soundtrack including RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, DJ SHADOW, DJ MUSAKA, and COMPANY OF PROPHETS, This Is What Democracy Looks Like is the first documentary to capture the raw energy of the WTO protests, while clarifying their global and historic significance.

The Independent Media Center provided a production infrastructure for over 450 media activists during the WTO protests in November 1999. With autonomous, volunteer-run media centers operating in four continents, ten countries and twenty-one cities, the IMC represents a new and powerful emerging model for independent media.

"The IMC isn't waiting for the old guard media to tell the true story. . . the IMC is simply doing the job itself, reporting directly form the front lines." Naomi Klein, author of NO LOGO

55 min.

Thanks man! here's one that i enjoy.

Through a Blue Lens. It is mostly about life in Vancouver\s Downtown Eastside/East Hastings neighborhood. We had to watch it in juniour high but it's some good shit. I got to meet Randy (whom you'll meet if you watch the documentary) after he cleaned up on his tour through schools to tell kids not to fuck with heroin and crack and drugs in general. good shit.

Guest Rambo

I agree with whoever said Hoop Dreams was a good documentary. I think i might have actually watched that twice which isn't usual for me.

StinkHouse was good. Pretty hard to find though. It's basically about some guy who was in a motorcycle accident in the 70's, bumped his head real hard and now he pays people to take a dump in his house with his disability money.

There was quite a moving documentary about amnesia that i watched a couple of years ago. Cant remember the name but it was about a guy who had a rare form of amnesia where he kept thinking that he'd had accidentally shredded a hamster that never even existed. He spends much of the documentary being consoled by the interviewer only to repeatedly burst out crying again each time. So futile. He's probably crying right now.

There was quite a moving documentary about amnesia that i watched a couple of years ago. Cant remember the name but it was about a guy who had a rare form of amnesia where he kept thinking that he'd had accidentally shredded a hamster that never even existed. He spends much of the documentary being consoled by the interviewer only to repeatedly burst out crying again each time. So futile. He's probably crying right now.

that is so tragically bizarre. but if it weren't real life it would be a lol.

Guest Rambo

Boom! I double bluffed us both. I tricked myself into believing that you would pretend you didn't get it! But also, i knew that i wouldn't know it was a joke so i cloned myself so i could warn myself in the past. AND IT WORKED! ICED!

American Movie

The Land Of Silence And Darkness

DOTWC2: The Metal Years

The Beaver Kid:

part 1... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmpIgch9uNQ&feature=related

part 2... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0YUdZiHvLY&feature=related

part 3... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db8AMMvzaUc&feature=related

(the clips are incomplete but give you an idea)

Edited by jefferoo

Guest Z_B_Z

documentary on l ron hubbard. fascinating figure, completely insane.. the most effective con man of all time. a film needs to be made on him.. i remember reading paul thomas anderson was developing a film called 'the master' with phillip seymour hoffman to star as the hubbard figure, but they abandonment development. wouldnt be surprised if they were pressured to do so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCWRbgIkFJ8

I watched Cocaine Cowboys last night thanks to this thread, and it is indeed a top notch documentary. Everything about it is solid aside from the soundtrack, but the film is engrossing enough that that can be easily ignored.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sJiBoqH1Yg

Guest Coalbucket PI

just watched The King of Kong

last three minutes are sweet sweet justice

and it was good

I also, and yes it was.

And someone linked that doc in a London high rise lift called Lift and it was terrific. (Edit: it was Tec [thanks tec] and

) Edited by Coalbucket PI

Guest Space Coyote

I'll do some more. Oddly no-one has even mentioned Louis Theroux yet? Perhaps too obvious but to the uninitiated try..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxYPh4b-eRA

A Place for Paedophiles is a British documentary that was televised on 21 April 2009. Produced and presented by Louis Theroux, the documentary ran for 80 minutes,[1] and took place at Coalinga State Hospital, a hospital for paedophiles. Theroux was the first film-maker to be allowed to film and interview the inmates at Coalinga State Hospital

The program was widely praised for its approach of the subject of paedophilia. Stewart Turner of blogs.orange.co.uk/tv said "It was a brave documentary, unafraid to portray sex-offenders as the deeply flawed human beings rather than sub-human bogeymen as is often (perhaps rather conveniently) the case." Leicester Mercury noted the programme as being "a brilliantly-made, well-observed documentary. Fascinating, not sensationalist or sympathetic."

and one of my personal favourites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTWT8xaCB5A

Louis travels to California to meet the man dubbed "the most dangerous racist in America", Tom Metzger. Louis meets him, his family and his publicity manager as well as following him to skinhead rallies and on a visit to Mexico. He also encounters the Nazi-pop folk duo Prussian Blue and their mother and maternal grandfather.

which leads nicely into

I believe the title on this one is incorrect and it is Nazi Pop Twins

streaming preview

Full legal download http://www.archive.org/details/MichielSmit.comPrussionBlueMichielSmit.com

Nazi Pop Twins is a 2007 British documentary wherein filmmaker James Quinn travels to the United States to investigate Prussian Blue, a pop duo composed of twin sisters Lynx and Lamb Gaede. The film first aired on July 19, 2007 on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom. The documentary was filmed over the course of a year. Dresden Gaede, the twins' toddler half-sister, makes her debut in the documentary. April Gaede's parents, Bill and Dianne, also appear in the documentary.

In a change from a previous documentary featuring the duo, Louis and the Nazis by Louis Theroux, Nazi Pop Twins was without humorous irony. Filmed mainly in low-light, indoors and/or in winter, it stresses tension between the twins and their mother, April—manager and driving force behind the band—and the stress the white nationalist ideology has put on grandparents Bill and Dianne's relationship to the point where Dianne threatens to leave Bill during the making of the programme

There's more in the description on wikipedia and elsewhere but I recommend just watching it. It's a killer and a personal favourite of mine.

American Undercover - Bellevue: Inside Out (preview clip only)

This one is a little hard to find depending on where you look. I might know where - if anyone is interested then PM me.

Basically its an HBO documentary about the infamous Bellevue Hospital Center, the oldest public hospital in the United States. This documentary takes a look at a handfull of the people committed there, some free to leave at any time, others are forced to be there. It is a relatively unflinching look at life in the hospital but it doesn't really give too much insight into the diseases each person is suffering, it tends to focus more on just being a brief window into their treatment and how the doctors (who come across as total quacks) interact with them. I can't do justice to how good this documentary is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKCGYwrt2Pg

preview clip only^

"I Think We're Alone Now" is a documentary that focuses on two individuals, Jeff and Kelly, who claim to be in love with the 80's pop singer Tiffany. Jeff Turner, a 52-year-old man from Santa Cruz, California has attended Tiffany concerts since 1988. Diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, Jeff lives alone off of government checks and has never had a girlfriend. Jeff spends his days hanging out on the streets of Santa Cruz, striking up conversations with anyone who has a moment to spare about conspiracy theories, God and Tiffany. Kelly McCormick is a 35-year-old intersex sports fanatic from Denver, Colorado, who claims to have been friends with Tiffany as a teenager. She credits Tiffany as the shining star who has motivated her to do everything in her life. Through both humorous and heartbreakingly sensitive scenes, the film takes look at Jeff and Kelly's lives, revealing the source of their clinging obsessions.

WATMM I can do this for days. I've got over 400 documentaries. For the most part it is all I watch. Movies are too much of a commitment of my time and a risk that it'll be wasted. Documentaries are almost always a learning experience, even the poorly made ones.

Edited by Space Coyote

Guest Z_B_Z

last one ill post as ive clogged up this thread enough, but i found this to be really interesting. the late richard "the iceman" kuklinski was an infamous and incredibly effective hitman for the mafia for a number of years. here hes interviewed by a forensic psychiatrist about his life and crimes.. its absolutely chilling (ha) how incredible intense and coldblooded (haha) this guy was>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psoq8qYvx18

^ I love that one Z B Z, I always crack up when he says "..and that's when I learned that it's better to give than to recieve."

tm.jpg

Great mother of fuck, this movie is the craziest shit I've ever seen.

I just watched this on iTunes and it blew me away. If you don't know who Ray Kurzweil is he's the dude who came up with the technological singularity which is the idea that in the future man and machine will connect to become one big entity which will spread its influence across the universe.

WATCH THIS FILM! It'll freak you the fuck out! (getting stoned would help)

Edited by Al5x

tm.jpg

Great mother of fuck, this movie is the craziest shit I've ever seen.

I was just about to post this, saw it last night. There's something slightly nutty about almost everyone interviewed in it, but some interesting points are raised.

I watched The Iceman Tapes a while ago as well, and yeah... it's chilling hearing that guy recount his experiences. Definitely an interesting delve into the mind of a sociopath. I've always found that kind of thing fascinating and disturbing in equal measure.

this one just came out...im probably going to order it. difficult to explain, just watch the trailer>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWFhplFSEQ&feature=related

there was a great documentary on more 4 about mark hogancamp last night called village of the dolls. interesting, touching story. you really end up connecting with the guy. edit: in fact looks like the same film as your clip.

Village of the Dolls is a fascinating documentary about the fantasy world of Mark Hogancamp. After a vicious attack leaves him brain-damaged and broke, Mark seeks recovery in Marwencol, the Second World War scale model town he builds in his garden. He populates it with dolls representing his friends and family, taking photographs detailing the town's many relationships and dramas. Creating the town and photographing the action helps Mark to recover his hand-eye coordination and deal with the psychic wounds of the attack. But Mark and his photographs are discovered by a prestigious New York gallery that wants to set up an art show. Suddenly Mark's homemade therapy is deemed to be art, forcing him to choose between the safety of his fantasy life in Marwencol and the real world that he's avoided since the attack.

Edited by keltoi