IGNORED

Share Your Favorite Documentaries Thread!

Guest Al5x

The Canyons of His Mind

A veteran of the common law marriage between Sixties art school and rock 'n' roll, Stanshall was co-founder, lead singer and co-writer of cult Sixties sensation The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, the missing link between satire and psychedelia, pop and performance art, pastiche and Python.

Like Peter Cook, he burnt himself out tragically early, virtually drinking himself to death before dying in a fire at his house in 1995.

Tracing Viv's musical journey from its Bonzo beginnings to Rawlinson End and beyond, this expedition into the archival canyons of his mind is peppered with contributions from colleagues, close friends and comic descendants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of Blue - An Essay on Melancholia and Depression (1993)

When Mark Kidel first pitched the idea of a film essay on melancholia, commissioning executives at the BBC and Channel Four responded negatively: "It would be much too depressing". The down side of life fits uneasily into the escapist 'infotainment' that characterises so much factual TV. But the resulting film proved a unique success, winning the 1992 Royal Television Award for the Best General Education Documentary, and being shown at festivals, seminars and conferences ever since.

2 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

Kind of Blue - An Essay on Melancholia and Depression (1993)

Many people in my life have said at one point or another that they find me melancholic, and I'd probably agree. I didn't know that being melancholy was a mental illness... :fail:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

This is quite a fun book if you're of that bent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_Melancholy

I'm following this page on facebook and just yesterday they posted this on their wall... this shit is from 1621, crazy... 

https://www.facebook.com/PublicDomainReview/

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2881106838617177

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1

i think you can find "The Curious World of Frinton On Sea" on youtube, its fucking great. 

i wont say anything about it but if you havent seen it, do yourself a favour

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 12:37 AM, yekker said:

Many people in my life have said at one point or another that they find me melancholic, and I'd probably agree. I didn't know that being melancholy was a mental illness... :fail:

On 1/28/2020 at 7:44 AM, yekker said:

Thanks man, looks good ?

melancholia wasn't always a diagnosis/mental illness. i'd wager people don't mean it that way when they say they find you so. it's gone from signifying a personality trait found in every other person (google humorism) to designating one of the worst sorts of depression. i doubt the average person means the latter when they're throwing around the word.

gonna watch the documentary now. seems interesting

• 2 weeks later...

Culloden (1964)

Culloden (known as The Battle of Culloden in the US) is a 1964 docudrama written and directed by Peter Watkins for BBC TV. It portrays the 1746 Battle of Culloden that resulted in the British Army's destruction of the Scottish Jacobite rising of 1745 and, in the words of the narrator, "tore apart forever the clan system of the Scottish Highlands." Described in its opening credits as "an account of one of the most mishandled and brutal battles ever fought in Britain," Culloden was hailed as a breakthrough for its presentation of a historical event in the style of modern TV war reporting, as well as its use of non-professional actors. The film was based on John Prebble's study of the battle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2020 at 4:54 PM, mause said:

i think you can find "The Curious World of Frinton On Sea" on youtube, its fucking great. 

i wont say anything about it but if you havent seen it, do yourself a favour

Holy wow this was amazing, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hello spiral said:

Holy wow this was amazing, thanks!

its one of the greatest things ever, right?
more people need to see it

Edited by mause

On 2/17/2020 at 9:17 AM, ManjuShri said:

Culloden (1964)

On 2/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, Taupe Beats said:

Careful, this film (which is wonderful, and imo technically not a documentary) seems to trigger a popular poster on this board...

It's a bit like Winstanley, docu-drama-ish (?) although Winstanley is more filem-like. They both did quality work with miniscule budgets, even if Winstanley seemed to have gripped its extras from that year's Glastonbury Fayre. *Caveat would've worked better with a vidyo, but youlube removed

spacer.png

spacer.png

Every cunt is late today, time for Frenchy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mause said:

its one of the greatest things ever, right?
more people need to see it

I sent it to a friend that I knew would love it. And he sent this back. He says this is the best ever doc made in this particular subgenre

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

It's a bit like Winstanley, docu-drama-ish (?) although Winstanley is more filem-like. They both did quality work with miniscule budgets, even if Winstanley seemed to have gripped its extras from that year's Glastonbury Fayre. *Caveat would've worked better with a vidyo, but youlube removed

Peter Watkins loves the filmic device of a news reporter being in whatever setting he wants to focus on, and being able to extract exposition from the subjects. He does it in most of his films (Privilege and Edvard Munch are the only two which immediately spring to mind that don't). La Commune (Paris, 1871) is his high point for this. Amazing work.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hello spiral said:

I sent it to a friend that I knew would love it. And he sent this back. He says this is the best ever doc made in this particular subgenre

ahhh yesss, i remember watching that ages ago, will give it another watch. I love these kindsa docs about nothing in particular

11 hours ago, Nebraska said:

I've been trying to tell people how dangerous Amazon is, but they seldom listen. It's not just about worker's rights in the warehouses, or the data rights of the user. Their influence goes much farther than that.

Also, that end bit where he's talking about saving the planet by leaving it is just :facepalm:

Edited by Braintree
  • Like 2