IGNORED

Share Your Favorite Documentaries Thread!

Guest Al5x

spacer.png

Taxi to the Dark Side (2007)
"exposes the haunting details of the USA's torture and interrogation practices during the War in Afghanistan."

spacer.png

Before the Flood (2016)
"A look at how climate change affects our environment and what society can do to prevent the demise of endangered species, ecosystems and native communities across the planet."

spacer.png

Dynasties (2018)
"Follow the true stories of five of the world's most celebrated, yet endangered animals; penguins, chimpanzees, lions, painted wolves and tigers. Each in a heroic struggle against rivals and against the forces of nature, these families fight for their own survival and for the future of their dynasties."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lost Lives - adaptation of the book on the north of Eire, The Troubles & the indescribable legacy of mass murder.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10466232/

From an outsider’s view, The Troubles can seem a bit rear-view mirror now, but a work like this sears itself into your mind. To take a sample set from thousands of killings, then open them up to memory, the experience of family members, witness statements & interpretation takes some doing. Stumbled on last night’s bbc with me Ma from Armagh. Almost too much at times.

• Like 1

Art Nouveau - Paris

The delicious objects of Parisian Art Nouveau are explored by cultural correspondent Stephen Smith. Uncovering how the luscious decorative style first erupted into the cityscape, Stephen delves into the city's bohemian past to learn how some of the 19th century's most glamorous and controversial figures inspired this extraordinary movement.

Revealing the story behind Alphonse Mucha's sensual posters of actress Sarah Bernhardt, looking at the exquisite jewellery designer Renee Lalique and visiting iconic art nouveau locations such the famous Maxim's restaurant, the programme builds a picture of fin-de-siecle Paris.

But Smith also reveals that the style is more than just veneer deep. Looking further into the work of glassmaker Emile Galle and architect Hector Guimard, he sees how some of art nouveau's stars risked their reputation to give meaning and purpose to work they thought could affect social change.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3htubt

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3htubs

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although my list seems to have a focal point on illness, death and forced exposure to violence, for me this is a sobering view of what life could be for anyone of us.

1. First kill - Vietnam War
2. Hospital - 1970 Frederick Wiseman
3. Madness and Medicine - 1977 ABC
4. Solitary Nation - Frontline 2014
5. The released - Frontline 2009
6. Life and death row season 2 BBC
7. Titicut Follies - 1967 Frederick Wiseman
8. Anyplace but here - 1979
9. Out of Mind out of Sight 2014

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, Rubin Farr said:

This looks amusing

It was pretty funny, Sting does come off as pretentious, but I've never heard him discuss drugs ever, so that was different, Ad Rock and the LA stoner comedian set also feature heavily.

38 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

It was pretty funny, Sting does come off as pretentious, but I've never heard him discuss drugs ever, so that was different, Ad Rock and the LA stoner comedian set also feature heavily.

The movie was entertaining, but I feel like it suffered from trying a little too hard to be a goofy cult movie or something.

I guess the reason it bugged me a bit was because the documentary is simultaneously arguing the importance of psychedelic research and normalizing the psychedelic experience... while also leaning pretty hard into "Man! I was tripping sooo hard that all this crazy shit happened!" stories. It sort of undermines its own argument.I appreciate that it tries to augment the overall conversation around psychedelics but just wish it didn't make everyone who drops acid look like a moron.  It's a tricky subject to represent accurately/respectfully. I guess a lot of people that drop acid are indeed morons, so there's that.

The content of the interviews was really good, though. That story with Sting and the baby cow was pretty amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

The movie was entertaining, but I feel like it suffered from trying a little too hard to be a goofy cult movie or something.

I guess the reason it bugged me a bit was because the documentary is simultaneously arguing the importance of psychedelic research and normalizing the psychedelic experience... while also leaning pretty hard into "Man! I was tripping sooo hard that all this crazy shit happened!" stories. It sort of undermines its own argument.I appreciate that it tries to augment the overall conversation around psychedelics but just wish it didn't make everyone who drops acid look like a moron.  It's a tricky subject to represent accurately/respectfully. I guess a lot of people that drop acid are indeed morons, so there's that.

The content of the interviews was really good, though. That story with Sting and the baby cow was pretty amazing.

And where was Doug Benson?

17 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

And where was Doug Benson?

At least they had a tiny clip of Bill Hicks... though I feel likt they could have had more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Sting came across as a pretty cool guy in the doc.  I know he's one of these music celeb types whose been put in the Bono category by many (I mean, no one else is quite in that same category), so my brain automatically wants to go "haha Sting."  But most of the music I associate with him is awesome, and any time I see snippets of him talking he seems pretty genuine/bright.  I guess what I'm saying is The Police discog in my headphones is imminent.

• Like 1

The Bombing of Osage Avenue WHYY PBS

On May 13, 1985, the police, after a day-long confrontation with the black radical and naturalist group MOVE, in an attempt to evict their compound on 6221 Osage Ave., dropped an explosive device on the roof of the building. The roof caught fire. Committed to achieving “tactical superiority” to his mission, then-Police Commissioner Gregore J. Sambor told the fire commissioner to let the fire burn. Eleven people, including five children, died, 61 houses burned, and at least 250 people were left homeless.

The vast majority of victims — MOVE and neighbors — were black.

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/editorials/philadelphia-police-bombing-move-compound-africa-osage-ave-racism-20200512.html

@Zeffolia brought me here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...