IGNORED

Share Your Favorite Documentaries Thread!

Guest Al5x

• 3 weeks later...

Treasures of the Louvre

Paris-based writer Andrew Hussey travels through the glorious art and surprising history of an extraordinary French institution to show that the story of the Louvre is the story of France. As well as exploring the masterpieces of painters such as Veronese, Rubens, David, Chardin, Gericault and Delacroix, he examines the changing face of the Louvre itself through its architecture and design. Medieval fortress, Renaissance palace, luxurious home to kings, emperors and more recently civil servants, today it attracts eight million visitors a year. 

• Like 1

New World Order (2009)

New World Order is a behind-the-scenes look at the underground anti-globalist movement and at the intensifying conspiracy culture that followed the attacks of 9/11 and grew out of the information-surge coming from a rapidly-expanding World Wide Web. The film focuses on conspiracy-mogul Alex Jones and his media platform InfoWars. It offers a rare and poignant glimpse into the lives of ordinary people and radicalized activists whose lives and actions have been dramatically changed and defined by the power of ideas.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 6:32 PM, d-a-m-o said:

11 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

ok i loved these two docs, didn't know anything about osamu tezuka or seen nightmare on elm st.

thanks:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apples, Pears and Paint: How to Make a Still Life Painting

A richly detailed journey through the epic history of still-life painting, featuring a range of delights from the earliest existing Xenia mural paintings discovered at Pompeii to the cubist masterpieces of Picasso.

Awash with rich imagery of fruit, flowers and humble domestic objects, this lively take on the story of still life encompasses the work of some of the genre's greatest artists from Caravaggio to Chardin and Cezanne. But it also captures the surprising contributions of the less well-known, including asparagus enthusiast Adriaen Coorte and female flower painter in the court of Louis XVI, Anne Vallayer-Coster.

With contributions from historians Bettany Hughes and Janina Ramirez, art historians Andrew Graham Dixon and Norman Bryson, and philosopher Alain de Botton amongst others, it opens up the huge social histories that lie behind the paintings and the fascinating lives of the people who made them.

https://vimeo.com/84883341

• 3 weeks later...

this was kind of fascinating. this guy was part of a group of incels labelled as TFL (true forced loneliness) who decided to one day follow the actions of fellow 'supreme gentleman' and martyr to the movement, elliot rodger, and attempt his own revolution against the 'chads and staceys'

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Oh yeah I watched that one a while back.  Dude is supreme cringeman... but with murder impulses, a disturbing combo if there ever was one.  I suppose there are quite a few in that category, all inspiring one another.  What a time to be alive (until the cringeman cometh).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I suppose there are quite a few in that category, all inspiring one another.  What a time to be alive (until the cringeman cometh).

the first time i became aware of these TFL guys was when i read george sodini's diary & manifesto. unlike the other (two) loners, this guy was in his late 40s, yet seemed to have a very juvenile mentality- spending most days trying to guess how often his neighbors and fellow gym members were getting laid, and especially getting so pissed off when he saw "hotties" visiting another neighbors' son and realizing that guy was "getting more action" than he had in his entire life.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember Pimps Up, Ho’s Down? One of those 90s HBO pseudo-documentaries. It was cringy even back then, but the pimp speak was hilarious, and the Player’s Ball became kind of infamous, even Chapelle ridiculed it.

SNL parody

• 2 weeks later...

Murder Among the Mormons

This was an awesome doc, which I didn't hear about at the time growing up

Use that discernment you always talk about mormon fellas

• Like 1

Really well done, but tough to watch sometimes if you've ever had someone on your life dealing with cancer. Val seems like a very intelligent guy, and it's good to see that family has their faith to sustain them in the tragedies they've suffered. He returns again and again to his brother's death, like it was the straw that broke them. A+

edit: I swear they play some version of Avril 14th towards the end.

poster.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No idea this existed, highly recommended. The film calls them unsung heroines but watmmers ought to recognize a lot of great names from the true OG days figuring in here. 

1cba505b5da77b0aaaf5b4848f511232.jpg

44 minutes ago, chim said:

No idea this existed, highly recommended. The film calls them unsung heroines but watmmers ought to recognize a lot of great names from the true OG days figuring in here.