IGNORED

Share Your Favorite Documentaries Thread!

Guest Al5x

Watching the Life series narrated by David Attenborough right now. Really good. Very similar to Planet Earth, but goes a bit more in depth.

"Microcosmos: Le peuple de l'herbe"

Bugs, plants, animals, etc shot in high def. From what I recall there is actually no narration (the trailer has some explanation in French), just the sound of the bugs etc + weather. Here is the trailer for it.

Hearing bugs and stuff walking = trippy.

Watched the whole thing on shrooms once, it was absolutely entrancing! surprised it is from 1996.

Actually, does it qualify as a documentary with no narration? I don't know. I felt like it told a story though.

Edited by StephenG

"Microcosmos: Le peuple de l'herbe"

Bugs, plants, animals, etc shot in high def. From what I recall there is actually no narration (the trailer has some explanation in French), just the sound of the bugs etc + weather. Here is the trailer for it.

Hearing bugs and stuff walking = trippy.

Watched the whole thing on shrooms once, it was absolutely entrancing! surprised it is from 1996.

Actually, does it qualify as a documentary with no narration? I don't know. I felt like it told a story though.

Co-sign Microcosmos being awesome.

I'm really into medical docs these days, would appreciate any suggestions.

5dd28e2ac-1.jpg

Blood and guts - a history of surgery

Fantastic BBC mini-series, featuring Michael Mosley, on the price paid for today's modern advances in surgery. Great narration and stories throughout with unbelievable footage, not for the faint of heart.

english_surgeon.jpg

The English surgeon

The life of an English neurosurgeon working in backwards conditions in Kiev to help people who otherwise wouldn't stand much of a chance. Very gripping.

Battlefield ER

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DmDL14dUkb8

Good look at the people doing emergency treatment at the forward operating bases of Iraq

Anyone's who's a nerd about ghost stories and/or weird British horror might like this Beeb 4 one about M.R. James, watched it the other day and rather enjoyed it:

Haven't watched all of this one, about European horror films, yet, but what I've seen of it has been good gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brEzdZnoMzY

George Gittoes "Snow Monkey" - Aussie bloke and woman live in Jalalabad for four years. The kids are violent, George brings a diplomacy to the country by setting up an arts centre in the city. It's like an Afghani blaxploitation film mixed with a news report from a westerner in Afghanistan. Top bloke and top film.

It might have been mentioned here already but I recently watched The Atomic Cafe, great dark comedy doc about mid-20th-century American views on nuclear warfare. Terrifying but good for perspective.

Edited by luke viia

• 1 month later...

Watching the Life series narrated by David Attenborough right now. Really good. Very similar to Planet Earth, but goes a bit more in depth.

Have you seen Life on Earth - the Attenborough one from the 70s? Still his best IMO

The Beeb has made some incredible doc series over the years, two of my favs are The Planets (late 1990s - solar system, space exploration), and Earth Story (mid 90s, geology/earth history) - both a tad out-of-date now, but both beautifully put together and well worth a lazy Sunday watch

Guest unteleportedman

Nice, Earth Story looks good (didn't watch any of the The Planets clip yet). Searched and found all of the Earth Story eps for dl, will probably watch today or tonight. Ty for helping to prolong my love of TV.

I watched this before and it was really good:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

- Accidental Courtesy

African American musician Daryl Davis has a peculiar, controversial passion: meeting and befriending members of the Ku Klux Klan in an attempt to change their minds and forge racial conciliation, one racist at a time.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/accidental-courtesy/

- Birth of a Movement Full Film

The story of William Monroe Trotter, the nearly forgotten editor of a Boston black newspaper who helped launch a nationwide movement in 1915 to ban Hollywood’s first blockbuster movie, the later controversial The Birth of a Nation.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/birth-of-a-movement-full-film/

PBS is also airing an uplifting Valentine's Day double feature tonight:

Edited by doublename

• 2 months later...