IGNORED

6 Songs That Were Decades Ahead of 'Groundbreaking' Music

WaxenPith

Cracked.com funny yet sometimes interesting, someone brought this to my attention because she knows I'm an Aphex Twin fan. So I thought i'd post it here:

6 Songs That Were Decades Ahead of 'Groundbreaking' Music

Fingerbib is the track they link

at least Aphex ranks before NIN and Radiohead! :aphexsign:

Why they didn't include this I have no idea ...

I remember the first time hearing it on a FSOL DJ set and assuming that it must've been something like an early 2000-era Chemical Brother remix of a Beatles track rather than the untouched original :blink:

Guest Stoppit

I'm pleased Kid Baltan got a mention, I immediately thought 'Song Of The Second Moon' when I read the the title of the article (although they actually used the track 'Syncopation'). Anything that gives some much deserved credit to Dick Raaijmakers is ok by me.

I remember the first time hearing it on a FSOL DJ set and assuming that it must've been something like an early 2000-era Chemical Brother remix of a Beatles track rather than the untouched original :blink:

It's an amazing song, especially considering they way they recorded it. The Chemical Brothers had a single called "Setting Sun" that was an admitted homage, and they've used this cover of the song in their DJ sets often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1YKfu5sD24

Guest MrSparkle666

Before I even clicked the link, my first thought was, "Well, 'Tomorrow Never Knows' is obviously going to be in the top slot," and then I was like "WTF, it's not even on there?" That's a load of bullshit right there. How could they miss that one. Tomorrow Never Knows is like the posterchild for music that was far ahead of its time.

Guest sickboy

that junior parker tune is fukking mad, & i was thinking about silver apples too for some reason

maybe i have a lazy music journalist living in my brain.

Guest MrSparkle666

Hmm, to me that sounds exactly like the kind of music to come from the 1940

um, it's rap.

Hardly. I'm with Jefferoo. It doesn't sound any more like rap than a lot of the vocal lines from flapper era jazz:

. I honestly think if this had been 4 white guys, nobody would have even thought twice about it sounding like rap. I can think of half a dozen things that should have made the list before this. Lame.

Guest Stoppit

For anyone that doesn't know it, this is Song Of The Second Moon, by Kid Baltan (Dick Raaijmakers) and Tom Dissevelt. Their idea was to make the first ever electronic pop song. This was released in 1957. (starts off very jaunty, from 2.25 it's got some Parhelic Triangle thing going on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSoAzONw-a4

Archived