IGNORED

rodney bingenheimer

i know there's quite a few on this forum that live in the greater LA area--i grew up in and around los angeles but moved to the midwest years ago for a job and ended up settling down here. back in the late 80s and into the 90s, i used to spend my week looking forward to the "rodney on the 'roq" show on sunday nights on kroq. i discovered so many great bands via rodney over the years, and couldn't understand why he wasn't on in prime time in place of the tripe they aired.

i finally got around to watching "the mayor of sunset strip", a documentary from 2003 about rodney. if you haven't seen it and are a fan of great music, particularly british pop/rock, check it out. although in the end i couldn't decide whether the film wanted to present rodney as an underappreciated pillar in music history (he is) or a sad, lonely groupie (also yes) , it had a lot of great interviews and old footage. it's astounding how many bands and artists this man was involved with or in some cases even helped popularize in the states, with virtually no acclaim. i've lost count of the shows i went to in los angeles where rodney introduced the band, but the guy was just everywhere (and i'm assuming he still is).

the bands he championed weren't all "godhead", but he's a great LA music icon.

anyone else a rodney devotee from back in the day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NHeJmSLXiY

just hearing that voice sends me back!

Guest Z_B_Z

i saw that documnetary.. it was pretty good, i had never heard of him before. he seems like a really sad guy tho. his apartment is a pop culture museum lol

yeah, I followed him back in the day and watched that doc. I think I followed him mostly around the time he'd promote dramarama quite a bit. I'm amazed that he's still on kroq albiet having his show moved to 3am sunday nights. not a diss on him but because of the crappy ass direction that station has taken since the early/mid 90s.

Archived