IGNORED

L.A. Noire

Guest abracadabra

Guest abracadabra

LOS ANGELES, 1947

"Amid the post-war boom of Hollywood's Golden Age, Cole Phelps is an LAPD detective thrown headfirst into a city drowning in its own success. Corruption is rampant, the drug trade is exploding, and murder rates are at an all-time high. In his fight to climb the ranks and do what’s right, Phelps must unravel the truth behind a string of arson attacks, racketeering conspiracies and brutal murders, battling the L.A. underworld and even members of his own department to uncover a secret that could shake the city to its rotten core.

Using groundbreaking new animation technology that captures every nuance of an actor's facial performance in astonishing detail, L.A. Noire is a violent crime thriller that blends breathtaking action with true detective work to deliver an unprecedented interactive experience. Search for clues, chase down suspects and interrogate witnesses as you struggle to find the truth in a city where everyone has something to hide.

Developed by Team Bondi in conjunction with Rockstar Games, L.A. Noire arrives for PlayStation®3 and Xbox 360® on May 17th 2011 in North America and May 20th 2011 in Europe."

-- http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/

I'm pretty fucking excited for L.A. Noire. I'm also a little skeptical about how it's going to function in terms of solving cases, interrogation, and doing detective-like work. How open is it going to be? Can the user run themselves into a dead end when trying to solve a case? If one does, are there other cases to be simultaneously opened? Are there objectives? Are there alternatives in the story progression? It's supposed to be big but how big exactly? I know it covers about 8 miles of really detailed 1940's Los Angeles and is supposed to be pretty accurate. Is it going to be more like Shenmue or like Grand Theft Auto or something else altogether? Also, REAL CRIMES.

p.s. (i tried searching for this and didn't find a thread dedicated to this anticipated release)

Guest hahathhat

i was going to say: this would make a better game, than a movie... then i kept reading and realized it WAS a game. rockstar has done some good shit; hope this lives up to their history

Guest Gary C

I'm excited, but only because it plugs a convenient void between now and Arkham City.

I wasn't crazy about Red Dead, and I'm not sure that this game isn't going to be a play-through-the-cutscenes deal, but yeah.

Guest Pennywise

red dead was good but the gta game style limits what you can do. shoot,walk and drive shoot, walk and drive and on and on

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

could be good. could be embarrassing.

it might be one of those games where the idea is there but the technology isn't yet.

heavy rain was a disaster

it might be one of those games where the idea is there but the technology isn't yet.

Agreed.

I have some doubts (new dev team, big ambitions and loads of budget spent on the facial animation tech), but I like attempts to do interesting things with the adventure genre.

I'll probably buy and play this all the way through and probably love it because Rockstar has proven themselves to make quality games and I'm sure they wouldn't release a game that's shit (don't say manhunt 2, it was OK).

Ok so it's basically Grand Theft Auto but set in the 40s, and you play a good guy rather than a villain.... why did they need to obfuscate it so much, everyone loves GTA no matter what the era, the pretence of the realistic facial expressions in the cut scenes seems pretty much superfluous from the tried and tested genre that's worked since GTA 3 back in 2001.

I wouldn't call it a disaster. I had a good experience with it. Some of the artistic aspects of the game and the storytelling blew me away. I didn't feel cheated by it. I think it accomplished pretty well what it was trying to do.

Ok so it's basically Grand Theft Auto but set in the 40s, and you play a good guy rather than a villain.... why did they need to obfuscate it so much, everyone loves GTA no matter what the era, the pretence of the realistic facial expressions in the cut scenes seems pretty much superfluous from the tried and tested genre that's worked since GTA 3 back in 2001.

Mmm, this is probably complete bollocks. I just got home from a club when I wrote this, and not in the most sober of states ...

Mmm, this is probably complete bollocks. I just got home from a club when I wrote this, and not in the most sober of states ...

RDR was GTA set in the wild west

LAN is GTA set in the late 40's

RDR was a rather good game, although i tired of it after i finished it. as for GTA games i liked them, especailly the multiplayer with 3 but i could never really play the game like your meant to, always started serious and ended up going on a masscare for 3 hours. LA noir might be the same of but looks pretty. and if i lived in LA i would be stoked going around 40's La seeing stuff

Guest bitroast

red dead redemption is one of my favourite games ever. RDR>GTA 4.

i'm looking forward to playing LA Noire. although, i'm also a little cautious, what with all the talk on investigate and facial recognition.. could be brill, could be a bit off.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Iain C

LAN is GTA set in the late 40's

This is what I was expecting up until I started reading the previews and reviews - it couldn't actually be further from the truth. It's not even really an open world game in spirit - most of the cases are fairly linear A-to-B type things (sometimes with the option of visiting C or D first) and there's no real incentive to explore. There's very little gunplay.

And you know? It's excellent. I'm loving it. It's more like an old-fashioned point and click adventure than anything else. What it really reminds me of is Westwood's 90s Blade Runner point and click game - the emphasis on collecting evidence, interrogating suspects, and very rarely getting to shoot stuff. The atmosphere and voice acting are incredible and the facial animation - which I was sceptical about - is like nothing I've ever seen.

It is a linear experience - but I feel that I'm making enough mistakes and missing enough evidence that I'll get a good couple of exciting replays out of it at least, trying to ace every case.

I'm impressed. But you just know there's gonna be a backlash from people who were hoping for GTA 1947.

these comparisons to gta are retarded. I sat down and played RDR and it is nothing like gta. Is it a standard to say a game is like GTA when you can walk in any direction and kill stuff?

In LA Noire, can you pull people out of their cars and take off? Can you be chased by the police? Can you fly a helicopter? Is it a nonlinear game? Can you wander around a city? Or do you just go from mission to mission. Really.. why keep comparing it to gta? Because it was made by rockstar?

Can someone break down an actual honest comparison to explain why people keep saying these games are like gta? I fell for that same bullshit when people were saying saints row is like gta, and sure it is, but it was also the worst fucking game i have ever played.

Archived