IGNORED

Stand-up Comedy Thread

thehauntingsoul

gotta come clean, bill hicks is an obnoxious cynical smug piece of shit... that might sound really cool for a comedian like him but his act is really lame...

he basically says afx should be off the artistic roll call forever cause he has songs in commercials... and all that shit talk about all the best music wouldn't have been made without drugs... then he brags about the beatles... what a looser loser...

btw, the band tool loves him so, i rest my case...

Farnsworth_400x400.pngburger.pngFarnsworth_400x400.pngburger.png

Edited by Tim_J
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 2

52 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

Frank Zappa didn't do drugs... 

Beatles are shit...

But yeah... I spelt loser wrong... 

frank zappa says he didn't do drugs. 

maybe he didn't.. maybe i just don't believe he never smoked weed or had some experience w/psychedelics. 

i like bill hicks. it's not gospel. it's comedy. sometimes these people lay it on pretty thick because it makes for a better punch line. also, LSD leads people places some times. he had a hard take on marketing. he was a product of his time and environment. as we all are.. more or less.  i'm ok w/giving people a little elbow room to work.

anyway... for stand up.. carlin, pryor are classic and when at the top of their game were in rare air. chapelle seems to be there now. top of his game for sure. legend. 

i don't follow stand up a lot. now then i catch some stuff. seems there's a handful of people really nailing it long term. just listening to other comics in casual conversations on podcasts etc they throw names around. it's interesting. 

I watched Patton Oswald’s special recently on Netflix and it was good, but afterwards he did an advertisement for another special from a comedian named Bob Rubin called Oddities and Rarities and I was blown away.  It’s nested in his special in the Netflix menus as another episode.  What a wonderful and captivating maniac.  He has like 300 followers on YouTube and a video of his standup from almost ten years ago that’s pretty funny, but his special is a super refined version of it.  Highly recommended.  Kind of like Steven Wright if he replaced sleep with cocaine.

13 hours ago, iococoi said:

Good stuff. I'd never heard of him before, and as I watched it, I thought, he's probably dead, because a) that dude is blasted, and b) if he wasn't dead, he'd be famous now, and I'd heard of him. Oh well ... ?

Don't have much else to add to the thread, my holy trinity consists of Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, and Ricky Gervais, but everybody's familiar with them. Demetri Martin is good too. I love DELIRIOUS by Eddie Murphy, and if he really returns to stand-up as planned, I'd watch that in a heartbeat. Really liked him on CICGC, charming fellow he is. Still like Seinfeld too FWIW, even if he's gotten a bit smug and satiated.

38 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Good stuff. I'd never heard of him before, and as I watched it, I thought, he's probably dead, because a) that dude is blasted, and b) if he wasn't dead, he'd be famous now, and I'd heard of him. Oh well ... ?

Don't have much else to add to the thread, my holy trinity consists of Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, and Ricky Gervais, but everybody's familiar with them. Demetri Martin is good too. I love DELIRIOUS by Eddie Murphy, and if he really returns to stand-up as planned, I'd watch that in a heartbeat. Really liked him on CICGC, charming fellow he is. Still like Seinfeld too FWIW, even if he's gotten a bit smug and satiated.

Yeah, Hedberg is one of the best. I remember they announced his death on April 1st, so everyone thought it was a joke for a day.

would love to see the movie he wrote and starred in  "los Enchiladas". hedberg was great. unique delivery. RIP. i thought there was a doc about him but can't find it. there's this.

21 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

It's true that all the best music wouldn't have been  made without drugs though.

Don't really get your point about the beatles either...

(And you spelt loser incorrectly)

Where is the evidence that Bach composed his cello suites on drugs ?

On 11/23/2020 at 2:53 AM, iococoi said:

secZApV.jpg

https://archive.org/details/strategicgrilllocationsmitchhedberg

.. some audio hiccups starting @24:40 ...there are ytubes though

Just watched these two ^^^^^

This guy's a genius! ?