IGNORED

Com Truise - Galactic Melt

GI-138_1400x300dpi_540_540.jpg

When talking about the music of Com Truise (one of the many pseudonyms of New Jersey designer/musician Seth Haley), the nostalgia bit inevitably comes up, so let’s get that out of the way. Yes, his songs tap classic sci-fi and proto-electro in a way that is distinctly early eighties in scope. But they’re also remarkably weird—stutter-step proggy and intoxicatingly psychedelic, like those classic touchstones got drunk on lava lamp juice inside a pinball machine. After his well-received Cyanide Sisters EP, a grip of remixes for artists like Twin Shadow, Neon Indian, and, uh, Daft Punk, and a few floating MP3s, Truise’s first LP, Galactic Melt, will finally enter brainspaces this summer.

And what an appropriate title it bears. For a brief moment, opener “Terminal” subsumes you in warm, starry-eyed synth arpeggios, and then down the rabbit hole you go—from the keyed up, skyscraping machine love of “VHS Sex” and “Cathode Girls” to opuses like “Air Cal” and “Ether Drift” that sound like Doogie Howser’s idea of the perfect prom song—mathy, forlorn, funky, and mighty in technical ambition. That they’re all noticeably cinematic is, of course, by design—Haley envisioned Galactic Melt as a “sort of film score…from the mind,” chronicling the lift and death of Com Truise, the world’s first synthetic/robotic astronaut, from his creation and life on earth to his subsequent mission to a newly discovered galaxy called “Wave 1.” Eventually, Truise becomes one with his newfound cosmos, like Pinocchio becoming a real boy, but in the nether regions of imaginary space.

Haley says knowing when and how to complete such an opus was the hardest part of making the record, nevermind all the carefully synth programmed patches on his Sequential Circuits Split-8 or the three years of real life that transpired during its genesis. It’s a world unto itself, a sci-fi bildungsroman of sorts, and most importantly, an awesome escape from the corporeal.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

futureworld is an incredibly lush party-stopper, really bangs you in. if the rest of this album is anything like that track it's set to be one of the best releases of the year imo.

havent heard those other two, will have to peek a listen

^taste is subjective, I wouldn't worry about what he has to prove to troon too much iiwy.

can't wait to hear this, but .... july!?

he's a bit heavy-handed but talented none-the-less. i've yet to be deeply emotionally effected by his musics, which is most of why i listen to musics

^taste is subjective, I wouldn't worry about what he has to prove to troon too much iiwy.

Well, Troon seems to have his "ear to the ground" pretty well so I was genuinely curious.

Com Truise is almost as polarizing as VHS Head around here. I've found lovers, haters and few in-betweeners.

he's a bit heavy-handed but talented none-the-less. i've yet to be deeply emotionally effected by his musics, which is most of why i listen to musics

same on the emotional aspect, but i also love crafty analogue music (which is why i also love acid) and as a producer, com truise is allover that well-polished, analogue, synthwave, funky fresh shit. his music, though not deeply emotionally engaging, really grabs me aesthetically. very atmospheric and refreshing; clean.

Guest Apeofnaples

I like him, I was a bit suspicious of him and VHS HEAD and GAMES, but I realise I was just being a grumpy cunt, I'm actually really excited for the new album. Also his Komputer Cast mixes are incredible, truly great stuff.

Guest Lucy Faringold

Just listening to the Fairlight EP. First impression: this stuff is pretty good for blissing out to but it doesn't feel massively substantial. Gonna put in some more listens tmrw.

I'm not so impressed with this. There's just something so contrived and formulaic about this stuff. It's not in the same league as VHS Head. I don't know why that is - I'm not a musician or anything but VHS Head managed to tap into something magical in a way only BOC have previously managed. Then there are all the numerous wannabes. This stuff is technically proficient but it just doesn't have that 'something'.

just the name com truise turns me off so much. it's a gimmick name and not even an original one. makes me think he approaches his music the same way.

just the name com truise turns me off so much. it's a gimmick name and not even an original one. makes me think he approaches his music the same way.

Wasn't there somebody else? Wevie Stonder?

com truise is allover that well-polished, analogue, synthwave, funky fresh shit.

The funny thing is that most of the output you've heard is almost entirely software. I'm not sure how people got the notion that he's all analogue.

hum. i read it in a published description of his repertoire somewhere...most likely pitchfork if it was giving false info, sadly i don't remember. he does a good job of making his tunes sound old skool tho...

com truise is allover that well-polished, analogue, synthwave, funky fresh shit.

The funny thing is that most of the output you've heard is almost entirely software. I'm not sure how people got the notion that he's all analogue.

hum. i read it in a published description of his repertoire somewhere...most likely pitchfork if it was giving false info, sadly i don't remember. he does a good job of making his tunes sound old skool tho...

i believe he only has a few pieces of actual hardware...

Archived