IGNORED

Sony Comes Clean: PlayStation Network Hackers Have Stolen Personal Data

Squee

OK so what can I get with this Playstation Plus stuff, I'm not gonna use it after the month but want to leech what I can during the 30 days ....

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/04/trixter

Very interesting, actually informative article. Interviewing one hacker who some have pointed fingers at regarding the attacks.

Finally, a sensible, factual article that doesn't spread fear and doubt. Good read!

OK so what can I get with this Playstation Plus stuff, I'm not gonna use it after the month but want to leech what I can during the 30 days ....

Well, with PS+ it's not that simple - for any of the free content PS+ provides you, you must remain a PS+ member to continue to use said content - your PS+ account expires, you lose access to that free content. Not really "free" at all, more akin to "renting" it. It's the perfect way to get people interested in PS+, then when it expires and they lose that content, if it was important enough to them, they'll re-subscribe to get it back.

Well, with PS+ it's not that simple - for any of the free content PS+ provides you, you must remain a PS+ member to continue to use said content - your PS+ account expires, you lose access to that free content. Not really "free" at all, more akin to "renting" it. It's the perfect way to get people interested in PS+, then when it expires and they lose that content, if it was important enough to them, they'll re-subscribe to get it back.

pretty much bait n switch

well played, Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc.

It's not bait and switch, as it clearly notifies you before downloading any such content. Educate yourself before you make an assumption.

are you joking me? theyre consolation prize for getting everyones details robbed is some shitty account upgrade that wont even let people keep the content after its gone and you are still defending them?

It's not bait and switch, as it clearly notifies you before downloading any such content. Educate yourself before you make an assumption.

just a quick lesson in English slang phrases... "pretty much" preceeding a statement usually equates to saying "it's almost like"

which this is. it is almost like bait and switch tactics. are you really saying that offering customers, who have been wronged by Sony, a consolation of a free pass to their paid-for service is an acceptable 'good faith' measure?

it is a gateway to get more paying customers. plain and simple.

what about if you buy psn titles that are discounted due to ps+, you can't play them? That's pretty messed up. Anyways, I doubt PS+ is the only thing they are doing.

edit:

Sony plans to offer free downloads of unidentified "content," 30 days of free PlayStation Plus access to new and existing members, and 30 days of free Qriocity service

what about if you buy psn titles that are discounted due to ps+, you can't play them? That's pretty messed up. Anyways, I doubt PS+ is the only thing they are doing.

edit:

Sony plans to offer free downloads of unidentified "content," 30 days of free PlayStation Plus access to new and existing members, and 30 days of free Qriocity service

yep, the "content" is so amazing that they don't even know what it is yet.

is the Qriocity music and video service DRM'd? if so, again the content there will be time limited, and just serves as a "try before you buy" lure.

if Sony ponies up and gives customers a game for free, outright, that they can keep, then that's cool. but so far all i can see is Sony trying to turn a complete fuck-up on their part into a revenue generating scheme which is being thinly veiled as a "Welcome Back" good will gesture.

are you joking me? theyre consolation prize for getting everyones details robbed is some shitty account upgrade that wont even let people keep the content after its gone and you are still defending them?

God, how stupid can some people be - Sony hasn't made ANY official statement yet, nor did I say that what they were giving away would fall under the current way PS+ works - there is plenty of discounted items on PS+ that if you buy them, you keep them. Only the free content (and to be specific, it's only certain free content, that they clearly notify you of the conditions before downloading) falls under the 'you must be a PS+ member to access content you were previously allowed access to for free' situation.

What Sony ends up ultimately doing is another matter, for another thread/debate. Control your bias against me and THINK before you spew out your garbage.

just a quick lesson in English slang phrases... "pretty much" preceeding a statement usually equates to saying "it's almost like"

which this is. it is almost like bait and switch tactics. are you really saying that offering customers, who have been wronged by Sony, a consolation of a free pass to their paid-for service is an acceptable 'good faith' measure?

it is a gateway to get more paying customers. plain and simple.

First off - thanks for the lesson, guv'nor - I'll note that in me 'ittle black book and put under me cap for future ref'rence, like.

Of course I understand what 'pretty much' means - it's the same in US English. Again, it's NOT bait and switch tactics if Sony clearly states the conditions of the content they're offering.

Again, Sony hasn't made any official statement about what they will be doing as a goodwill gesture to their customers, so until they do, it's all speculation - and really, can you blame Sony for wanting more customers of their premium services? Unlike Microsoft, Sony doesn't charge you for the privilege of playing online, only for content. So for them to give people an optional taste of an optional service in the hopes that it will increase the paid userbase, what's wrong with that? I'm doubtful that Sony would give something as a goodwill gesture and then force you to pay for it after the fact in order to keep it - I think Sony's learned quite a bit over this whole debacle, and hopefully the userbase gets treated appropriately by them.

edit:

As mentioned above, any discounted items are simply that - discounted. You keep them regardless of your PS+ subscription status. Only certain items that inform you before downloading that are affected by the PS+ subscription status are revoked if your subscription lapses.

Hell, forget the accusations I work for Sony - I want payment for all this explaining and clarifying I'm doing! :emotawesomepm9:

We really don't know at this point. I agree we can't judge the merit's of their gift just by what we know now, but if they give us something cool, + 2 free service trials, I don't see why it is such a big deal. In fact, I'd rather have the 2 free trials plus whatever content, rather than just the content. You seem to be seeing it as an evil money making scheme, i see it as a pretty obvious additional thing for them to throw into the whole package. Of course they are trying to make money and keep their customers, these were subscription services to begin with, they won't be free anytime soon. We will just have to wait and see what they are doing when psn comes back online before we judge them. Sony has to play this right in order to get customer trust back, which will be the most important thing of all in the long run, so this "mystery content" needs to be something substantial.

We really don't know at this point. I agree we can't judge the merit's of their gift just by what we know now, but if they give us something cool, + 2 free service trials, I don't see why it is such a big deal. In fact, I'd rather have the 2 free trials plus whatever content, rather than just the content. You seem to be seeing it as an evil money making scheme, i see it as a pretty obvious additional thing for them to throw into the whole package. Of course they are trying to make money and keep their customers, these were subscription services to begin with, they won't be free anytime soon. We will just have to wait and see what they are doing when psn comes back online before we judge them. Sony has to play this right in order to get customer trust back, which will be the most important thing of all in the long run, so this "mystery content" needs to be something substantial.

Thank Jebus somebody's using their noodle!

hopefully the userbase does get treated correctly, instead of being placated by a gateway to more revenue for Sony.

but since that is all it looks like at the moment, that's what it looks like.

like i said, if Sony end up giving actual free content that people can keep indefinitely, then that is all cool. it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. Sony should know by now what they're going to do for customers. it's been almost 3 weeks now since the outage.

totally awesome post. i agree.

but if it turns out to be 2 service trials + an exclusive Playstation Home "theme" or something equally lame, then that is a pretty shitty way to treat your userbase after a fuck-up this huge.

lol, yeah, free dynamic theme. They have said the free content will be different depending on region, probably game content though. Hopefully a choice between a few things.

also lol: http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/02/sony-suffers-another-major-security-breach/

EDIT: also i just read that psn in japan is already back up, so other regions should be up soon.

sony have now taken down the PC side of their multiplayer system

"Dear valued SOE Customers,

We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday)."

This could be part of Sony's plans to beef up security for the PlayStation Network, but this message seems to indicate that something more serious is going on.

It could be that PC game players may have something to worry about, but we hope that is not the case. We will have more on this story as it develops.

Guest bitroast

lol, yeah, free dynamic theme. They have said the free content will be different depending on region, probably game content though. Hopefully a choice between a few things.

also lol: http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/02/sony-suffers-another-major-security-breach/

EDIT: also i just read that psn in japan is already back up, so other regions should be up soon.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6311008.html?tag=topslot;title;1

In a statement issued to GameSpot, SOE has now confirmed that approximately 24.6 million accounts as well as 12,700 non-US credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates may have been stolen. The information may have been obtained by hackers between April 16 and 17, and SOE believes that it was part of the initial attack that compromised the PSN and Qriocity service.

"This information, which was discovered by engineers and security consultants reviewing SOE systems, showed that personal information from approximately 24.6 million SOE accounts may have been stolen, as well as certain information from an outdated database from 2007," the statement reads. "The information from the outdated database that may have been stolen includes approximately 12,700 non-U.S. credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes), and about 10,700 direct debit records of certain customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands, and Spain."

~ ~

that's me blocking and getting a replacement debit card. sheez.

It's just been confirmed:

70 billion PSN accounts accounts stolen

In a new shock revelation today, Sony has revealed that 70 billion Playstation Network accounts have fallen to the hands of hackers. Howard Stringer, Chairman, CEO and President of Sony Corporation of America gave a press conference this morning saying: "It was a shock to us too, especially to learn that every person on this planet has signed up for at least 10 accounts with us over the years". Tech blog and security site fearofr00t.net commented on the leaking of personal data saying - "F**k this, f**k that, f**king Sony f**k*rs.". As well as user name, password and credit card details, it is feared that masturbation statistics as well other personal information of the user have leaked - 45 year old videogame player Alan Stinger from Texas told us: "I'm not too concerned about my sexual history being outed, but if my mom learns about my excessive masturbation sessions in the basement whilst claiming to be fixing the boiler then she's going to be pissed. And she'll probably stop paying for my World Of Warcraft account too."

breaking news: Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. reveals that due to various failures of protocol within their departments, the personal details and credit card numbers of every human being in the planet have been leaked via their Move controller. in a statement made today, Kazuo Hirai said "This is the one thing we didn't want to happen."

Archived