IGNORED

Solange - Left Side Drive

Guest GrandPopPoplock

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could only get Solange Knowles?

The vocals fit pretty well but it does kinda sound like some bullshit I'd sing in the shower. I hope people hear this and think, "Boards of Canada, eh?" but I doubt it.

All the same she does have a great voice and I'm pretty charmed by this interpretation. Definitely cooler than her run-of-the-mill popstar sister.

Guest ArbitersGround

Vocals fit alright, but I just can't stand that whole RnB style of vocals period.

I think it'd be much more interesting to me if someone with a voice like Bjork or even Lily Allen.

Mike504

May 1st, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I actually like this. I slept on Solange, but I’ve heard a few songs I like and her style is pretty cool. I might have to go and check her out on iTunes now.

RunDaWorld-Ciara!

May 1st, 2011 at 2:33 pm

sounds a lil bit like Kelly Rowland but this song is ok but not so … Good

-_-

May 1st, 2011 at 2:58 pm

umm are we listening to the same song? or is it just my head phones? this sound horriable to me(not hating b/c I loved I decided) but this drowns her voice and makes it sound bland

Vocals fit alright, but I just can't stand that whole RnB style of vocals period.

I think it'd be much more interesting to me if someone with a voice like Bjork or even Lily Allen.

perhaps they like the soul sista vibe... I know I sure as hell do!

Same here rumbo... I'm not much of a boc head like most here. but Left Side Drive has been a favorite of mine from them. and yes. I think this sounds good together.

The thing is, why couldn't she just alter the original track a little bit, or recreate it with a different instrumentation...then one could call this a "cover"...instead I just hear a track by BOC and some a capella vocals by solange. She doesn't even try to make her voice fit into the background mix. From a production standpoint, this is bullshit.

Obviously just sang over it.

I find it naive and just generally crude the way she's done these two voice-overs. She's treating the tracks like instrumentals for her voice to go over, when she should be considering her voice just another part of the track, and the way she has her voice standing out from the background doesn't accomplish that. She should've done a total recreation of the track, new instrumentation and all, then she could put this out as an aesthetically equal piece of music instead of a track ruined by a hasty addition of vocals.

er... wikipedia:

(This Bird) "Contains a sample of Boards of Canada's "Slow This Bird Down"

unless my memory fails me,im pretty sure it was more than just a sample: try the entire track instead.

Guest Archrival

I like this better than the slow this bird down massacre.

Would love to hear a Boards Of Canada mix of this...Take Solanges vocals and let Boards Of Canada mix the track like they did with that Beck remix (they mix vocals fantastic!).

I think BOCs strongest weapon is actually their producer skills. Ive never heard more interesting productions by any producer compared to Michael and Marcus music.

This is like the 10th time I listened to this! this is sweet sexyness! She definately made boc music to BONE to!

Archived