IGNORED

Need good Android apps!

thehauntingsoul

Do you have a HTC Desire? I have, and I didn't need the HTC Sync software, just the driver that came with it so the phone can talk to the computer. Maybe you need the android sdk installed or something, I don't remember.

Yeah I've got a Desire, the problem is not the software side of things but the phone itself. You know when you plug in the phone using the USB cable it brings up that menu asking you to charge only, be a USB storage device, use as a modem, or put it in HTC Sync mode (the last being the one you need to put it on to do ADB stuff or root it etc.) and you choose that final option the phone will either: do nothing and no computer can see it (using the official sync software or unrevoked or the android SDK), or the phone will just reboot. Someone had the same thing on another forum and they got a new Desire and all was well, so I guess some of them just have this issue...

If you have the HTC Sync software installed on your pc then the driver for ADB is installed. Then you also have to make sure that your phone has the debug switch set to enabled. it's in settings->application settings->development -- 'USB Debugging' needs to be ticked on. you don't need to put your phone in htc sync mode as far as I know - you can just set it to charge. Keep your usb cable connected and try the unrevoked package over here: http://unrevoked.com

after that you can also go for gold and have the S-ON switched to S-OFF, which means that you can have certain read only places set to write.. so you can empty caches that sort of stuff.. not so sure about the details of that. you can do that here with a bootcd: http://alpharev.nl/

Be careful though, there's always that possibility that you brick your phone!

Anyway, I just have it rooted because I like to geek around with my phone.. and I like the Cyanogenmod ROM, it runs a bit faster then using all the sense stuff, and the on/off switching is awesome: it looks like an old tv set being turned on or off. :emotawesomepm9:

If you have the HTC Sync software installed on your pc then the driver for ADB is installed. Then you also have to make sure that your phone has the debug switch set to enabled. it's in settings->application settings->development -- 'USB Debugging' needs to be ticked on. you don't need to put your phone in htc sync mode as far as I know - you can just set it to charge. Keep your usb cable connected and try the unrevoked package over here: http://unrevoked.com

Aye done that (several times, and on different 'puters as apparently some USB cards get a bit funny with the HTC for some reason). Always the same, phone reboots or Unrevoked just shows 'Waiting for device' forever. I've gone on about a million (er, maybe) Android forums trying every suggestion going and nothing ..... thanks for the help anyways man.

Occasionally mine does that too, I just hit the menu button a couple of times and that seems to fix itself. Although saying that I don't normally have the sound switched on and play it whilst listening to music on the phone so not emulating sound probably seriously reduces CPU load.

Basically there's something wrong with the USB data connection which makes it completely unconnectable (the phone goes into a reboot loop) if you put it into HTC Sync mode i.e.

you're in the UK, why don't you just get it replaced? you should be eligible for it, it was obviously defective upon purchase

Guest Gary C

Wow, Unified Remote is really nice.

I downloaded Math Workout this week too. It's a simple brain-trainer, but will compliment Word Mix.

Guest Spittal

The Android market is such a fragmented piece of garbage right now... How is it possible that I needed to use a QR code to get the google docs app!? IT'S GOOGLE DOCS!?

Anyway I love Android, I snatched a nexus S the day it was announced off e-bay (they only recently came out in Canada). My favourite apps are dropbox, audio tool, dolphin browser mini, and handcent.

We should make an Autechre app shouldn't we?

Guest Spittal

Also THS,

Update to 2.3.4 I've seen some pretty significant changes with my Nexus when I did (in terms of performance).

I should mention that you HAVE to be a 2.3.3 before you can do that, so make sure you're running the latest version of Gingerbread.

Also THS,

Update to 2.3.4 I've seen some pretty significant changes with my Nexus when I did (in terms of performance).

I should mention that you HAVE to be a 2.3.3 before you can do that, so make sure you're running the latest version of Gingerbread.

where did you hear this? no you don't have to be on 2.3.3 to get the 2.3.4 update

also, you don't have to use a QR code to get Google Docs. you just search.

Edited by oscillik

Guest Spittal

Also THS,

where did you hear this? no you don't have to be on 2.3.3 to get the 2.3.4 update

also, you don't have to use a QR code to get Google Docs. you just search.

There have been several people who have gone from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4 manually and bricked the Nexus S. I should say "To be safe, be on 2.3.3".

"Instead of hopelessly checking for updates until the time is right, the Powers That Be are now offering the upgrade as a manual download to anyone who is already running 2.3.3 on the i9020T (the AWS-equipped model). We urge you to proceed with caution here and double-check that your phone is compatible, since those are the two requirements for the download to install properly."

-Engadget

As for Google Docs, I just searched for the term "Google Docs", the app was 3 pages in.

Edited by Spittal

There have been several people who have gone from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4 manually and bricked the Nexus S. I should say "To be safe, be on 2.3.3".

"Instead of hopelessly checking for updates until the time is right, the Powers That Be are now offering the upgrade as a manual download to anyone who is already running 2.3.3 on the i9020T (the AWS-equipped model). We urge you to proceed with caution here and double-check that your phone is compatible, since those are the two requirements for the download to install properly."

-Engadget

As for Google Docs, I just searched for the term "Google Docs", the app was 3 pages in.

those who have bricked their phones are obviously doing something wrong then. One of the main issues is that there are currently multiple hardware variants out there. people need to be checking that the ROM they have is compatible. i would be willing to wager that 99% of people who have bricked their phone have tried flashing the wrong ROM. and in any case, you can't brick an Android handset by flashing - you always have access to the recovery, and then you can flash using fastboot.

as for Google Docs being 3 pages down, that's inevitable since Google Docs has only just come out in the past week or two - there have been third party apps available on the market for quite a while that are obviously going to be ranked higher at the moment.

Guest Spittal

-Engadget

those who have bricked their phones are obviously doing something wrong then. One of the main issues is that there are currently multiple hardware variants out there. people need to be checking that the ROM they have is compatible. i would be willing to wager that 99% of people who have bricked their phone have tried flashing the wrong ROM. and in any case, you can't brick an Android handset by flashing - you always have access to the recovery, and then you can flash using fastboot.

as for Google Docs being 3 pages down, that's inevitable since Google Docs has only just come out in the past week or two - there have been third party apps available on the market for quite a while that are obviously going to be ranked higher at the moment.

Osc I'm not trying to bash Android, I love Android, in fact I would never even consider using another smartphone OS (that is currently available, well maybe Web OS but I will decide that when the Pre 3 comes). I'm saying that it's a bit "wild" at the moment, especially the market. The review system is also just not working for me.

As for flashing 2.3.4, I'm not a techinical idiot, but I don't know Android well enough on the backend to know exactly what is going on with people who have bricked it, I mean I'm just reading the forums, I haven't physically seen a bricked Nexus. Although, I did flash Froyo rom on my girlfriends LG Eve. That was fun.

Anyway, you know more about the 'Droid than me Oscy. So stay true to your nerd self.

Edited by Spittal

-Engadget

Osc I'm not trying to bash Android, I love Android, in fact I would never even consider using another smartphone OS (that is currently available, well maybe Web OS but I will decide that when the Pre 3 comes). I'm saying that it's a bit "wild" at the moment, especially the market. The review system is also just not working for me.

As for flashing 2.3.4, I'm not a techinical idiot, but I don't know Android well enough on the backend to know exactly what is going on with people who have bricked it, I mean I'm just reading the forums, I haven't physically seen a bricked Nexus. Although, I did flash Froyo rom on my girlfriends LG Eve. That was fun.

Anyway, you know more about the 'Droid than me Oscy. So stay true to your nerd self.

sorry i'm not trying to be a prick, just trying to correct some things that are getting out of hand.

i agree, the market does have major failings. but wouldn't you agree that if Google were pushing their own developed apps ahead of the third party ones, that would be a bit...wrong?

as for flashing the 2.3.4...there are currently 5 known variants, and then on top of that there are different ROM upgrades for different builds. i'm just saying that there is a reason why Google would rather it's users wait for OTA updates...because it's the only surefire way to get the right update. if people are going to mess around with their phone, they should really be aware of these differences before getting too deep. that being said, if they do get their phone to a point where they can't even boot it up, they can get to recovery mode and just flash their phone with the correct full ROM. of course this requires getting hold of the full ROM in the first place!

Guest Spittal

Oscy, I love you.

Also, THS, Swype is pretty cool for 1 handed text input. I might be wrong but I don't think it's on the market. You can go here to get it http://swypeinc.com/

But, for two handed input I prefer the Gingerbread Keyboard.

Evernote

Dropbox

Tweetdeck

Google Reader

Andy-83 (TI-83 calculator)

Last.fm

Yelp

GrubHub (full disclosure: I work there)

Documents To Go

Super Pac

Shazam

Oscy, I love you.

Also, THS, Swype is pretty cool for 1 handed text input. I might be wrong but I don't think it's on the market. You can go here to get it http://swypeinc.com/

But, for two handed input I prefer the Gingerbread Keyboard.

yeah i use swype for one handed stuff, it's better than the stock keyboard in that sense. makes it easy for me to wank while i'm writing cake recipes :trashbear:

cerious though, Swype is great for one handed typing. :cerious:

Fav's so far:

- Swype (not really an app but there you go)

- UniWar (Awesome!)

- Ethereal Dreampad (Will probably get boring soon though)

- Fruit Ninja (just because)

- Tapatalk

- Words with Friends

- Alchemy

- Snes9x (The classic snes emulator on Android. Best with rpg's and games that don't require reflexes)

- Bistro Cook

- Google Sky Map

- Jewellust

- Death Worm

- Winamp

In no particular order.

Guest Franklin

my set up:

business apps

Google tasks (auto links with a Gmail acccount)

google calendar (same)

google Maps (with the street view installed as well)

Vlingo voice control (talk and your phone does stuff like call people, navigate to an address, phone a local cab company etc)

Out of Milk (allows you to make lists of stuff you need and check them off as you get them)

aCar (tracks all vehicle-related expenses

Tasker (allows phone tinkering)

fun apps

Doubletwist music player

gStrings frequency tuner

Mobile Metronome (use this for drum practice)

keyboard

SWYPE (the best)

edit: to say ALL FREE apps

Edited by Franklin

if you have a droid/milestone, root that shit and overclock it.

i got my milestone from the stock 550mhz to 1100mhz, stable, with no battery life problems. plus i enabled JiT for another 50% speed boost. the phone is literally 3 times faster than when I bought it. clearly motorola crippled the thing so they could upsell "faster" phones down the line.

Guest Spittal

Got to say pretty stoked on this Google Music Beta. Although wont be in Canada till it's out of the beta, and Amazon is basically doing the same thing.

Still... :trashbear:

• 4 months later...

what is the best solution for dlna/upnp video streaming to an android device from the network? I've got it working using a combination of ps3 media server(which I already run for my ps3), upnplay, and rockplayer(to handle video playback). It works pretty well but I wanted to know if there was something more standard here. I just got a new LG optimus phone after upgrading from this bad boy(had it since 2005):

Motorola_i205_Nextel_Z1.jpg

Edited by Bubba69

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

widgetzoid - for grouping your apps/links on your homepage screen. very useful as it lets you change the size/appearance of the logos as i find them usually too big if you just place in the homepage yourself.

easy tether - allows you to use your phones 3g via your laptop. great for when you can't find a wifi nearby to connect to and need to use a laptop away from work/home

wordfued - the best of the scrabble apps. it just looks better.

this american life app - streaming every single episode. ideal for long car journeys. only issue is with jumping forward in an episode which doesn't seem to quite work