Probably you easily send him a mail. He's a kind guy and helps you if you have an answer. I was also getting the tip with Dualplover from him for my own CD pressing.

as this is a music forum and stuff id like to express my opinion and stuff and i must say that i deeply hate everything ive ever heard of this guy. i have no idea why ppl on this board like it. drunk. shit.

Caretaker may be drunk, but he's def the shit: considered industrial-gothbience highlit by subtle yet expressive retro-futuristic melodies, an independent & deeply textural Musician, im(mf)o. A real meal.

Guest oldenjon

Caretaker may be drunk, but he's def the shit: considered industrial-gothbience highlit by subtle yet expressive retro-futuristic melodies, an independent & deeply textural Musician, im(mf)o. A real meal.

what he said

This album is gorgeous, Much darker & more subtle than empty bliss but just as beautifull, been listening to it while I fall asleep the last few nights, is perfect music for late at night.

There were orginally 500 subscriptions and think he said he got around 450 in the end, so you may still be able to get one but think he has prob stopped taking new ones now. Drop him an email though & check, contact deatils on his website

http://www.brainwash.../vvm/index.html

Can't get into this one. Before I played my last dj set in 2011 I was listening to the set of the dj before me- he made a good selection on various Caretaker pieces. A friend of mine was asking which artist was currently spinned and I answered: "Reverb? check. Haunted ballroom sample? check. Some frequency fizzle on top? check. Must be The Caretaker."- yeap I was right :dry:

I think it was a big mistake to bury V/Vm and continue as Leyland Kirby/Caretaker. He seems to invent himself new again and again with every record, but everytime with the same methods as before. He also seems to use the same V/Vm-ish frequency modulators on his Caretaker stuff.

He also seems to have lost all interest into a V/Vm discography on 8 discs as he promised on HAFTW some years ago. Sad. Really sad. Instead he puts out his crackling piano etudes instead.

I think it was a big mistake to bury V/Vm and continue as Leyland Kirby/Caretaker. He seems to invent himself new again and again with every record, but everytime with the same methods as before. He also seems to use the same V/Vm-ish frequency modulators on his Caretaker stuff.

He also seems to have lost all interest into a V/Vm discography on 8 discs as he promised on HAFTW some years ago. Sad. Really sad. Instead he puts out his crackling piano etudes instead.

i can understand where you're coming from, but imo- the caretaker project was the strongest one he had under v/vm- the rest sounded too "experimental and playful" and sometimes "too unfocused" to take too seriously. i think 'the stranger' had some potential, but didn't really standout as a noise project. often i think the caretaker also started in the same vein (playful experiment etc.) and has somehow involved into something more personal. at least that's what i'm getting it from.

what i really miss from v/vm though was the 365 project.

i can understand where you're coming from, but imo- the caretaker project was the strongest one he had under v/vm- the rest sounded too "experimental and playful" and sometimes "too unfocused" to take too seriously. i think 'the stranger' had some potential, but didn't really standout as a noise project. often i think the caretaker also started in the same vein (playful experiment etc.) and has somehow involved into something more personal. at least that's what i'm getting it from.

what i really miss from v/vm though was the 365 project.

The Stranger was absolutely worth the time I spended to listen. I've tried to support his testament under his V/Vm moniker with a pre-order of his 8 disc spanned retrospective (and I was absolutely behind to get his playstation commercial he made out of Forever Young!) but it never materialized. I've wrote a mail about that some time ago but he was more into his latest stuff.

I really like the way V/Vm pranked the big names in show and created a absurd collage of absolutely horrible anti-muzak.

Guest Lucy Faringold

I always try to get into this guy's stuff but this is the first album of his that has really clicked with me. Really pulling me in big time. I've been using it as background music whilst doing other stuff but keep finding myself just drifting into the music and forgetting what I'm doing. Beautiful.

I really love the wonky chord progression on 'The homesickness what was corroding her soul'. I'm a big sucker for such unexpected but ultimately fitting chord sequences - does anyone know of any particular piano pieces or composers that use that style in their works ?

the album is all based around Franz Schubert samples not really aware of his stuff to be honest but if your after similar sounding piano bits that would be the best place to start i guess!

one thing interesting about his Caretaker side project, have any huge fans of his actually tried reverse engineering what he does?

After i tried it myself i almost never find myself needing to listen to caretaker anymore, because its pretty much effortless to recreate it on your own as long as you have some mp3s or old records

i dont mean this in any way disparaging or critical of what he does, in fact i find it very interesting that his music technique is so transparent and specific that recreating it yourself doesnt take much experience or skill and has nearly the same effect.

one thing interesting about his Caretaker side project, have any huge fans of his actually tried reverse engineering what he does?

After i tried it myself i almost never find myself needing to listen to caretaker anymore, because its pretty much effortless to recreate it on your own as long as you have some mp3s or old records

i dont mean this in any way disparaging or critical of what he does, in fact i find it very interesting that his music technique is so transparent and specific that recreating it yourself doesnt take much experience or skill and has nearly the same effect.

I think he use a clever array of pitchshifter or ring modulators to create these hollow effects (especially on voices). I'm not sure but just today I was deconstructing a vocal line with some effects and archived also a "monster" effect on the female voice. After bypassing several filters I'm sure that it's mainly a effect you create with a ring mod.

Maybe he is using slowing the composition down after all like a master tape which gets slower.

the way i did it was much more 'ghetto' i just used a record player ran it through a bandpass filter that could adjust, then ran it through a delay with a high feedback and then a long decay reverb. Especially if you pitch down the record a bit it sounds like a lot of his more basic stuff.

the way i did it was much more 'ghetto' i just used a record player ran it through a bandpass filter that could adjust, then ran it through a delay with a high feedback and then a long decay reverb. Especially if you pitch down the record a bit it sounds like a lot of his more basic stuff.

Well that would explain the ballroom effect he has on several samples. It's really basic stuff you mentioned but has a great effect when you take a source carefully. Whenever I hear samples drowned in reverb I think: "well, that's the most primitive way to create ambiences." Every crackle of the source is washed away.

The most important part he is controlling are his samples. He take care what he effect at the end which is maybe the secret behind his sound. A delay can be more subtle (with some filter curves maybe added) than a whole effect slot.

What I really like is the way he incorporate vinyl elements like crackling etc too.

• 4 weeks later...

I just received it on vinyl too, really wonderful.

I just got this album in the mail (ended up getting one of the blue copies :cool:) and god damn this is gorgeous music. So fragile, beautiful, and fuzzy that it just draws you right into the music.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

(ended up getting one of the blue copies :cool:)

So fragile

you're telling me! I got a blue one, and I fucking scratched it on the first listen, my first time ever scratching one of my own records. I nearly cried.

still sounds good though.

(ended up getting one of the blue copies :cool:)

So fragile

you're telling me! I got a blue one, and I fucking scratched it on the first listen, my first time every scratching one of my own records. I nearly cried.

still sounds good though.

whew, i feel so much better now. schadenfreude ftw! sorry to hear though, mate.

Archived