IGNORED

Organizing Production

I'm terrible at organization. Any tips?

join the army

thanks!

*joins the army and gets killed*

*problem solved* zing!

*floats over to Brian Tregaskin's house and makes creaking sounds during the night*

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I'm not huge at organizing but I have gotten better. everything just used to be in one big folder. and when I started to think I had an ep of tracks that worked together I started a new folder to collect them whilst finishing up.

These days I am a little more methodical. So I know what I am working on and goes in that folder instantly. And I save lots of versions because buzz used to crash alot. never lost anything after switching to ableton but still do the versioning.

I keep everything in a git repo.

for real? also huge wavs? sounds like it's more work then beneficial.

I don't know git though, I tried it with subversion a long time ago, and maybe mercurial. but those aren't really suited for that type of thing.

Are you on Mac or Linux? Git on windows is full of pain.

organize everything by year. 2012 folder, 2013 folder, etc

once the tracks graduate to a completed project they leave the yearly folder and get put where they belong, everything else remains

pretty simple, keeps things organized by date and project

haha I was joking, although keeping source files there would be a snap. :)

Git is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You definitely could keep audio there too. They are actually already working on (or have already) support for viewing 3d files online. :D

What would be even cooler would be a way to pack up all your audio files as a dependency, so you could do something like

$ beep install

and install all the dependent wav files in your project. :D

(goes off to make a repo for numerology files)

EDIT: It looks like a numerology file is text based, meaning GIT would even be able to merges and diffs! :D

Edited by slightlydrybeans

Guest brendyman

God, I have the worst organization ever, mostly because I keep starting a new "project" and I think "wow, I could do a whole album of stuff like this!" and then I never touch it again.

NZmzKeM.png

And then there's the things that don't even belong in my music folder

Edited by brendyman

Colour coding has become really useful to find the tracks I really thought had something worth building on.

I use Abletons "open recent set" to keep up to all my current work churning around.

Do you think having a project deadline or label helps focus efforts. I was talking to an artist where everything he works on is to be published where as I have lots of experiments but nowhere to put it.

I've also been hitting some issues with linkages to audio files breaking because I don't consolidate every project. Protools gives you the option to either have a reference or import... it would be nice if Ableton had something like that.

Anyway, I have tracks I've been returning to for years and sometimes it seems like I need some kind of trick to get them out the door and into peoples ears. I guess also deciding whether it's for my pure enjoyment or meant for others.

ya I hate that. Reaper automatically copies files into your project directory which is handy, but before when I was using Logic that happened all the time. :p All it takes is reorganizing a sample folder and all your projects might be completely fucked.

so after people have found stuff they kind of like... do people mostly post to soundcloud / dropbox / email to friends to get an idea if anyone likes it? People on labels get more detailed crit on aspects of tracks?

• 6 years later...

I have one gigantic folder that currently holds about 450 Renoise XRNS files. :cisfor:

Edit: Also the file names don't match to what the tracks were actually "released" as so it's a real bitch to find the original files if I want to remix or re-render something, lol.

Edited by zkom

Just because one sorts their shits into little baggies and labels them by style and date; does not make dem anything other than SHIT

I have one big folder on my desktop called SHIT. Inside I have lots of smaller folders filled with more shit.

Edited by sheatheman
  • Like 1

I've started becoming more thematic about how I do albums/EPs, so I'll have a naming convention for that particular sound that I'm working on, but otherwise I'm still just dumping projects into one large folder under any old name I think of.

4 hours ago, sheatheman said:

Just because one sorts their shits into little baggies and labels them by style and date; does not make dem anything other than SHIT

I have one big folder on my desktop called SHIT. Inside I have lots of smaller folders filled with more shit.

i ate 3 pounds of cheese covered potatoes. then, i took all the tracks in folders and dipped those folders into cheese and deep fried them.. then i rolled them in a pizza with ranch dressing.. then i ate the pizza. 

now, i will never shit again and my tracks will rot in my bowels with cheesy potato ranch dressing pizza. 

one day when i die and shit myself the sound will be an immense roar or overlapping all at once tracks playing all at the same time.. their degraded data cheese forever corrupted laying a curse upon any ears within range. 

5 hours ago, ignatius said:

i ate 3 pounds of cheese covered potatoes. then, i took all the tracks in folders and dipped those folders into cheese and deep fried them.. then i rolled them in a pizza with ranch dressing.. then i ate the pizza. 

now, i will never shit again and my tracks will rot in my bowels with cheesy potato ranch dressing pizza. 

one day when i die and shit myself the sound will be an immense roar or overlapping all at once tracks playing all at the same time.. their degraded data cheese forever corrupted laying a curse upon any ears within range. 

We need to talk about your posting behaviour with regards to quantity and especially quality. It's getting out of hand and I'm worried

6 hours ago, dingformung said:

We need to talk about your posting behaviour with regards to quantity and especially quality. It's getting out of hand and I'm worried

i'm aware of it and think about it often. i'll try to sprinkle those thoughts on the next pizza. 

pandemic lockdown is weird when in a bubble of 1. 

• Burger 1

On 2/19/2014 at 12:36 AM, Guest brendyman said:

God, I have the worst organization ever, mostly because I keep starting a new "project" and I think "wow, I could do a whole album of stuff like this!" and then I never touch it again.

http://i.imgur.com/NZmzKeM.png

And then there's the things that don't even belong in my music folder

Yeah I have about 1.8tb of that stuff now, although probably 300gb is video.

A big part of the problem is I'll come up with a general theme for an album, spend a month or two recording and rough mixing stuff, and then when I'm around 3/4 done I'll realize that it has drifted off course and the dark, atonal drone album I was working on is full of mutated afropop and lounge jazz sounding tracks.

Edited by TubularCorporation

2 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

A big part of the problem is I'll come up with a general theme for an album, spend a month or two recording and rough mixing stuff, and then when I'm around 3/4 done I'll realize that it has drifted off course and the dark, atonal drone album I was working on is full of mutated afropop and lounge jazz sounding tracks.

Same.