IGNORED

the salton sea

data

Awesome... reminds me I need to take my camera gear up there one of these days. Only about a 2 hour drive.

Guest maus

That probably smells.

that part is definitely true. the salinity is rising since it's basically evaporating, so fish die by the second out there, and if you get a hit of that in the 105-degree desert sun it can make your brain water.

having said that, it's a singularly desolate and fascinating place. my girlfriend and i drove out to see it when we were at coachella a few years ago. check it out on google maps and look at the huge grids of road that have no houses on them.. and then the huge high school in the middle of it all. it is very 'fallout'-esque.

I saw some godawfull music video on vimeo that was shot there recently (I think it was BT), music sucked hard, but I still kept watching, the place looks amazing.

If you like the looks of the place, you could see the film the salton sea (wich I haven't seen since the 2002 so it might be terrible but I remember thinking it was allright back then), anyway, it's shot in the area, so it has good atmosphere and junkies.

Would like to travel there some day.

really ?? If you mean the redirect water scheme, that's for something further up the coast of califoria, that was a giant wetland till they aquaducted it away to feed LA's water needs. Whereas this lake never previously existed until we started mucking around.

Or am i the one confused and are they are really trying to bring the lake back ??

it says it was formed naturally here My link... but the blocking of outlets, agricultural run off, etc is responsible for raising the salt levels and spoiling it.

The river eventually shifted away permanently and it was thought that the Salton Sea would eventually dry up. Random rivers shifts and alternating rainfalls kept the basin filled, creating several different lakes over time. The lake most recently recreated itself in the year 1905.

but then some meddling by pesky humans...

The folks working on the Southern Pacific Railroad made attempts to keep the waters from flooding by dumping earth material near the site. Their efforts didn’t help and eventually the flow through the canal breach stopped on its own – but not before the water reached heights of 15-30 feet. The town of Salton was submerged beneath the water and, as such, the sudden accumulation of water was named the Salton Sea.

and...

As of today, government agencies in California are still working on plan drafts with ideas for saving the Salton Sea. If approved, the plan would significantly reduce the size of the Salton Sea but would make it easier manage – with construction beginning in 2011 and ending in 2035. Only time will tell if the Salton Sea can really be saved.

it says it was formed naturally here My link... but the blocking of outlets, agricultural run off, etc is responsible for raising the salt levels and spoiling it.

The river eventually shifted away permanently and it was thought that the Salton Sea would eventually dry up. Random rivers shifts and alternating rainfalls kept the basin filled, creating several different lakes over time. The lake most recently recreated itself in the year 1905.

but then some meddling by pesky humans...

The folks working on the Southern Pacific Railroad made attempts to keep the waters from flooding by dumping earth material near the site. Their efforts didn’t help and eventually the flow through the canal breach stopped on its own – but not before the water reached heights of 15-30 feet. The town of Salton was submerged beneath the water and, as such, the sudden accumulation of water was named the Salton Sea.

and...

As of today, government agencies in California are still working on plan drafts with ideas for saving the Salton Sea. If approved, the plan would significantly reduce the size of the Salton Sea but would make it easier manage – with construction beginning in 2011 and ending in 2035. Only time will tell if the Salton Sea can really be saved.

cheers man.

The environmental fuckedupedness of the Salton Sea is nothing compared to the Aral Sea.

Aral_Sea_1989-2008.jpg

Read the wikipedia articleif you want to get yourself depressed.

Cool vid, with my fascination for post-apocalyptic stuff I think I actually wouldn't mind visiting there

Archived