IGNORED

Nick Drake Appreciation Thread

Squee

I think I like every Nick Drake song, but yeah River Man is the best. My plan was to waltz in here and post it to spread the awesome, but I see that was the first thing covered. If I could add 10 years to any past musician's life, I might to choose to give it to Drake... along with some antidepressants.

Funny thought. I think I would love to give 10 years of (the needed) mental sanity to Syd Barrett.

At the chime of the city clock from page one is my favourite tune!

Yeah and I once read a biography on Drake and it said there that Drake got antidepressant and they didn't do any good... finally he overdosed on them, if voluntary or by mistake is not known.

Alright, well in that case I'd just give him a hug or something, and let him know that anyone who knows anything about music 30 years down the road is going to hold him in the highest regard (40 years down the road being present day). I get the impression that the lack of recognition in his lifetime is something that really took its toll on him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the impression that the lack of recognition in his lifetime is something that really took its toll on him.

Yeah, I guess so. And being a very shy, uncommunicative person in a very big city with way too strong emotions and thoughts...

"If songs were lines in a conversation, the situation would be fine"

Nick Drake > Bob Dylan

but then I think Bob Dylan's a piss artist so I would say that

chalk > cheese

Meh, I really don't see it... more like a nice camambert> that stuff in a spray can

After all they're both singer-songwriters who play guitar, they both inhabit a vaguely folksy genre and share many fans- it's not exactly like comparing Boards Of Canada and Lutoslawski. Anyway I don't wanna hijack this nice thread with Dylan hate, just brought it up because it was his birthday the other day and I was wound up by something from the PRS foundation in my facebook feed calling him "a true legend, pioneer & genius of music".

Guest Deep Fried Everything

appreciate the hell out of nick drake; the songs are great themselves but the arrangements (esp. w/cello) really seal the deal! :wub:

pink moon scares the fuck out of me. i can only listen to it every so often.

i prefer earlier stuff, especially bryter later. and you have robert kirby and joe boyd to thank for many of those wonderful string arrangements. this track was dedicated to nick, and is from another artist i adore, but unfortunately enough that i was a fan when he died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg_Utj4Aljc

fuckin chills right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOaJpfU&feature=related

danny thompson on bass, same as the majority of nick's stuff.

Edited by kaini

dunno, i find most of the arrangements on drake's songs to be a bit corny. I believe drake himself wasn't really happy with them either.

I like Drake's songs, a lot. I don't like most of the string arrangements that some producer decided the songs needed. Was probably some kind of trend of the time. And I believe Drake wasn't really happy about them either.

Guest bitroast

I like Drake's songs, a lot. I don't like most of the string arrangements that some producer decided the songs needed. Was probably some kind of trend of the time. And I believe Drake wasn't really happy about them either.

Bryter Layter is my least favourite for this reason. The arrange ments on five leaves left suit me just fine ^^

I think a lot of the arrangements are fantastic, but I agree that some of them did cheese up some songs that sound to me like they should have been left on the stark side. Sometimes you just have to listen past the arrangements. Then there are songs where they absolutely nailed it, like Riverman. I'd love that song regardless, but the string arrangement makes it even better.

the arrangements are very 70's..I feel like im in an after school special when I hear them.

Edited by marf

• 5 months later...

hmm, i like which will,

from the morning, and fly the most.

Really liking these sort of songs by him as well. I like Riverman, Northern Sky and some other tracks with arrangements too, but the minimal ones just speak to me more. Feels like the vibe in the arrangement tracks is kinda forced, while the "guitar tracks" have a more natural and unique vibe, in my opinion.

I guess this is best to post here, prolly jazz, but nonetheless really neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUled-LLzI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeSwal4jqyk

Edited by joshuatxuk

• 1 year later...
Guest bitroast

omg it's LOVELY...

earlier this week bought some goodies from comic shop, and have had neil gaiman's books of magic lying around. i've no joke had 'made to love magic' pop in my head every time i walk around my room and glance at it. i flipped out a little bit when i saw this thread was bumped while nick drake was playing in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cYxr784lWE