IGNORED

tattoos

keltoi

I don't have any tattoos, although my girlfriend has some awesome ones. I've been considering it lately, though. I'd quite like to get a parrot tattoo, because I like parrots. Perhaps on my calf.

Maybe something based on this (drawn by none other than Edward Lear):

lear-red-and-yellow-macaw-resizezsl-8327.jpg

only if you get the parrot tattoo on your shoulder so he can tell you what to do. things like, in case of an emergency get in the doorway or aspirin will never bring a dead hooker back to life so quickly roll her up in the carpet.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found my favourite:

tumblr_l8n97cTvZd1qzabkfo1_500.jpg

This is my dadeo. Done by Steve at Captain Jacks Tattoo on Hawthorne in Portland, Oregon. I got it a few months after my dad passed away from a heart attack in 2007 at the age of 54. He was a baker at Nabisco my entire life, and since it was a such a big part of my childhood and growing up (company picnics as a kid, take your daughter to work day at a cookie factory, and the support all his co-workers gave my family after he passed away as well.) there was no way I could have ever gotten a different Dad tattoo.

I miss him more and more every day, but this way, I always have him here with me. On the inside of my forearm.

The reasoning for it was much better justified than I expected.

But it was the transfat filled biscuits that killed him !! Why use that as a memorial.

--

oh and i don't understand tats. It can look ok i guess, but the same image forever, fuck that.

It's not forever. You'll die eventually.

If found a picture or symbol that was quite small and that I could imagine not hating after a few years, Id get one. But as of yet, I have not found one.

I got a Moog logo on my arm when I was 18. It's faded and shit and the place where I had it done has since closed down... and I don't really care about Moog anymore. No regrets though, nice reminder of what I thought was exceptionally cool when I was a teen.

Found my favourite:

This is my dadeo. Done by Steve at Captain Jacks Tattoo on Hawthorne in Portland, Oregon. I got it a few months after my dad passed away from a heart attack in 2007 at the age of 54. He was a baker at Nabisco my entire life, and since it was a such a big part of my childhood and growing up (company picnics as a kid, take your daughter to work day at a cookie factory, and the support all his co-workers gave my family after he passed away as well.) there was no way I could have ever gotten a different Dad tattoo.

I miss him more and more every day, but this way, I always have him here with me. On the inside of my forearm.

But it was the transfat filled biscuits that killed him !! Why use that as a memorial.

--

oh and i don't understand tats. It can look ok i guess, but the same image forever, fuck that.

What if you get mummified or fall into a bog. These things can happen.

duritz_tattoo.jpg

Straight Edge should involve no body alterations as well. :trashbear:

1WCW6.jpg

Straight Edge shoul involve not listening to Counting Crows.

*looks up counting crows.

edit: oh god, that band, that voice, there isn't a pike blunt enough to spear that cunt with.

Guest uptown devil

Found my favourite:

--

What if you get mummified or fall into a bog. These things can happen.

duritz_tattoo.jpg

Straight Edge should involve no body alterations as well. :trashbear:

1WCW6.jpg

Straight Edge shoul involve not listening to Counting Crows.

*looks up counting crows.

edit: oh god, that band, that voice, there isn't a pike blunt enough to spear that cunt with.

if i could delete one band from music history, it would be the counting crows.

Guest illfly mandog

I had piercings for a while, and was really, really serious about getting tattoos. Then one day I decided that my body was already a fucking ridiculous work of art. No need to "spruce" it up at all. I took my piercings out and never looked back.

I can see tattoos being alright in a religious setting, but not really in everyday life. It was more of a discipline type thing, you know, face branding and shit. Now they are just accessories. A lot of the time I have found tattoos come on a body that holds a lot of insecurities inside.

I keep thinking about getting the Klimt picture I have as my avatar as a half sleeve... I'm saving money but not in a hurry, been thinking about it for a few years as it pretty much is my favourite picture in the world

fish+blood+1898+gustav+klimt.jpg

i like that. Klimt is awesome and that IS an awesome picture!

I don't have any tattoos, although my girlfriend has some awesome ones. I've been considering it lately, though. I'd quite like to get a parrot tattoo, because I like parrots. Perhaps on my calf.

Maybe something based on this (drawn by none other than Edward Lear):

lear-red-and-yellow-macaw-resizezsl-8327.jpg

Get a sailor.

206649_10150208456562429_730347428_8283293_4183377_n.jpg

steveoswholebacktattoo.jpg

I hate people

don't be hating people on this, that's not some freaky steve-o fan

it's an actual tattoo steve-o's very own back

full_ink_not_mink_steve_o.jpg

that guy is a treasure of dumb tattoos

he once even had a tattoo of a guy raping a baby, but he later covered up the baby with an ostrich

freak_show_steveo_full.jpg

you can find the unaltered one online, i don't even want to link it

being 1/4 ukrainian is the closest thing my mixed breed white ass has to culture (my dad's entirely irish, but his whole family seems more american than irish), so I was thinking of getting some sort of pysanky egg pattern done—not sure whether it'd be a 1/2 sleeve, standalone tattoo, wrap around my arm/leg in some way or what yet, but at some point it'd be nice to get some work like this on my body:

IC06.jpg

pysanky.jpg

coboltbluepysankyegg.jpg

9743_4610177_l.jpg

i feel like it beats the "tribal tattoo" justification by just a hair.

• 7 years later...

This is probably cliche af, but I've been seriously thinking about getting a small sleeve either on my inner or outer arm, something abstract/fractal.

I'm trying to book a project with this guy:

https://www.blackinkpower.com/kenji-alucky

I like his more minimal, subtle designs, and use of negative space. I thought about creating my own, but this guy probably has a better sense of aesthetics when it comes to the epidermis

i don't get it, why not just get a baseball cap or something with the writing "i'm a fucking idiot" instead of getting a tattoo that expresses basically the same thing, but has the downside of not being removable.

This is probably cliche af, but I've been seriously thinking about getting a small sleeve either on my inner or outer arm, something abstract/fractal.

I like his more minimal, subtle designs, and use of negative space. I thought about creating my own, but this guy probably has a better sense of aesthetics when it comes to the epidermis

some of these actually look pretty cool. wouldn't wanna walk around with them for the rest of my life tho

I'd suggest you to think about it for a year or two

Yeah some of those look cool but if it doesn't mean anything then you might end up regretting it (imo). Just saying. I don't keep up with the 'culture' lol but getting something hard/'cool' like those is at nearly tribal-tatt levels as common as they are.

Whoever's idea for the Klimt art up a few posts would be pretty cool though, that's some great art and could make for a really nice piece on skin.

I just think it looks interesting, I like psychedelic geometric visuals and I've never gotten a tattoo before. this guy does it better then most I'd say, in regard to tribal tats

I just think it looks interesting, I like psychedelic geometric visuals and I've never gotten a tattoo before. this guy does it better then most I'd say, in regard to tribal tats

You might check out this guy

He does/is excellent at sacred geometry but (as you can see) can pretty much do anything. Been in the game for a long time, very well honed, plus is just a really decent human being. Maybe save yourself the overseas airfare. . .

Guest Ovitus

well they tour around, they'll be in San Francisco November-December, so I'd have to travel if I wanted to catch him soon, just not overseas..

this is actually the second time I've inquired for a tattoo, and rather then get an automated email, I got in contact with his manager..

anyway I still think their tattoos are the best for their particular style. if you check, there's another artists who does some Jackson Pollock-esque ink, which looks really sick. although a bit too extreme to consider on myself

https://www.instagram.com/black_ink_power/

flashy tattoos often feel like overcompensating for something

Thanks, Dad.

i don't get it, why not just get a baseball cap or something with the writing "i'm a fucking idiot" instead of getting a tattoo that expresses basically the same thing, but has the downside of not being removable.

:rolleyes:

It's a bit like tribal. The thing to keep in mind is that as you age, your skin will change, so the more intricate the design, the more you will spend on it to keep it up. Or if you're lazy like me, you just won't keep it up. So you may want to think about getting something simple. If you want to get a complicated geometric design, don't get it on your face :)

This the only advice I'd give about tattoos. I suppose I'll have this talk with my kids at some point:

1. Have it represent your lifelong persona, memories, interests - don't make it look like your Netflix queue or Spotify feed

2. Symbols and pop culture is always in flux - something apolitical or innocent one day could become a fringe sociopolitical dog whistle or even an overt symbol of something very negative. 

That said, even as someone who will likely never get one, I find it fascinating how much social acceptance has shifted toward accepting them. They really used to be a divisive symbol of class or subculture or both. As a kid if I saw an elderdy person with tats I assumed they had some stint in the military or some rough and/or interesting part of their life. Now at some point they will be a very typical sight. Not saying it's a bad thing at all but it's def a big change.

Archived