IGNORED

Learning a new language

Lucas

Next year, some friends of mine and I will go to Germany with the aim of settling a place where we'll be able to make music and also to record some bands.

First the perspective of learning German kind of intimidated me because I'm really a stranger to this language, then I've been used to the idea and began to learn it with the soft Rosetta Stone last Sunday.

That method seems to be really nice and well-thought ; it's based on the learning in a "real-life" context, i.e pictures associated to words are shown to you and questions are asked to you in a logical way. Sometimes you have to speak in a microphone, saying the correct words with the correct pronunciation. Actually it's like you learn the language as a baby.

Well, I don't really know what is the point of this thread is but I just wanted to share my satisfaction about learning a new language, which is eventually a piece of fun at the moment. Speaking with people at some points will be nice too.

If you had such experiences just share them there !

From my experience, Germans are really nice and patient to those trying to learn the language. They also all know some English, so you won't get in a fix.

Just remember, don't order plain water in a restaurant. Last time I was there the waiter said "You are not a plant, you are a man. You need bubbles!" Then he served me mineral water and charged me for it.

German isn't that hard to learn but there are some strict grammatical framworks that you need to learn before being able to speak it properly but from my experience even Germans make mistakes every now.

Guest El_Chemso

pff I've learnt like 10 languages since last September, C, Java, C++, SQL, Java, JavaScript, HTML, XHTML, HTML, CSS. It was more expensive than rosetta stone thou.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

make sure you supplement the rosetta stone software. the best way would be by talking with a native german speaker, but you can also try reading news articles and other things in german, watching german-language movies, listening to german-language songs, etc. don't underestimate the importance of listening comprehension.

Guest disparaissant

i dunno i started learning some french (well, more french, took some in high school) just by reading les aventures de tintin and watching loads of french films and then was listening to brigitte fontaine earlier and understood about half of comme a la radio passively, that was fairly satisfying!

pff I've learnt like 10 languages since last September, C, Java, C++, SQL, Java, JavaScript, HTML, XHTML, HTML, CSS. It was more expensive than rosetta stone thou.

lol how are you only at 300 and something posts, you've been here forever, wtf. Great avatar/I am drunk. :beer::emotawesomepm9: :sup:

I want to go to Germany for a while next year, as well. I studied it for three years while in highschool, but I could use a refresher. Been thinking about taking a class.

in my experience, rosetta stone is so fucking tedious, even if it works.

make sure you supplement the rosetta stone software. the best way would be by talking with a native german speaker, but you can also try reading news articles and other things in german, watching german-language movies, listening to german-language songs, etc. don't underestimate the importance of listening comprehension.

Yeah that method is quite repetitive but I find it funny with all that clean pictures showing people from all around the world eating walking and swimming with the smile. Like they live in an utopia :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm just gonna use it as a base and will manage to read a little German on internet and above all I'll try to speak the language with real persons before leaving France.

i dunno i started learning some french (well, more french, took some in high school) just by reading les aventures de tintin and watching loads of french films and then was listening to brigitte fontaine earlier and understood about half of comme a la radio passively, that was fairly satisfying!

I guess the best way to learn a language "completely" is to go alone in the country and manage to find a work there or something that leads you to a social network (sorry for that two words stuck together) with people living there.

French is known for being quite hard to learn anyway ; did you decided to learn it just for yourself or you had a practical reason to do so ?

Guest disparaissant

French is known for being quite hard to learn anyway ; did you decided to learn it just for yourself or you had a practical reason to do so ?

no real reason. boredom and a desire to understand pretentious wierd record releases. and films.

Guest Bramsworth

How many people talk about learning a language and immediately mention Rosetta Stone :facepalm:

FACT: ROSETTA STONE IS A PIECE OF SHIT AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED TO LEARN ANY LANGUAGE. EVER.

If everyone knew this, then their time would be less wasted. I can't believe how many people immediately turn to that thing when starting off.

How many people talk about learning a language and immediately mention Rosetta Stone :facepalm:

FACT: ROSETTA STONE IS A PIECE OF SHIT AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED TO LEARN ANY LANGUAGE. EVER.

If everyone knew this, then their time would be less wasted. I can't believe how many people immediately turn to that thing when starting off.

So what are your arguments ?

I am also learning German these days a bit too. Going with the CDs by Michel Thomas.

Guest disparaissant

I am also learning German these days a bit too. Going with the CDs by Michel Thomas.

see i started with some michel thomas stuff but when i actually started learning proper grammar, i realized that 99% of what he taught was just oversimple and wrong.

it's like if someone was teaching people in an english course to say stuff like "you me go drink beer now?" i mean the intent is clear, sure, but you sound like an idiot!

okay maybe thats a bit of an exaggeration but a lot of stuff was just wrong

Archived