IGNORED

Recycling in music

springymajig

Is there some part of Japanese culture and their approach to art that makes it more normal for them to recycle material?

Just finished listening to Joseph Nothing's Dreamland Idle Orchestra (which was awesome BTW) and noticed the last track has the same drums as Shine on Your Head. I know the new album also recycles some old material.

Alone Together (a more obscure artist, granted) has really re-created the same 4 or 5 pieces of music over and over again.

OOIOO frequently recycle bits of melodies and stuff. Can't remember if Boredoms do too off the top of my head...

Those are 3 examples I can think of. I'm sure there are more. Anyone Japanese on this forum, or anyone know a lot about Japanese culture? I have quite an interest in it (started learning the language earlier this year) so I'm curious.

Maybe it's more to do with experimental music? Maybe the fact that these examples are Japanese is just a coincidence? I can think of 2 non-Japanese examples (Orbital on Waving Not Drowning, and AEM on some older tracks he used to post online).

Guest Enter a new display name

Kaito removes the beats from his albums and releases them as separate ambient albums.

Archived