IGNORED

slipstreaming storage device drivers

pylonbitch

i built a new asus based pc recently after a nasty mobo fryup.

xp install onto sata hd with no hitches, so i'm assuming the bios has sata drivers already and no slistream required.

trouble is, i gots a lovely virus free, swift as a blade os and i want to take a ghost, but when my ghost boot disk boots into dos, it cannot read the sata dvd drive. says it can't find generic driver mscd001. which is weird, because the version of dos it boots into is on the cd i'm trying to get ghost to run from.

can i fix this by booting from a) ext usb floppy, b) older cdrom which is supported by symantec generic cd rom driver, or am i going to have to reinstall os with slipstreamed ide and sta/raid drivers.

ps mobo has no floppy contoller to my chagrin.

tried booting from usb stick and no dice.

i can't back up my os and i'm fucking devastated. halp plas.

A new PC w/ XP on it? Why?

What format is the partition on your ghost drive? DOS can't handle anything but FAT afaik.

because win7 doesn't run about 80% of the software i use.

doesn't matter about formats... can't get ghost to run, either from dvd/cd burner on ide channel or on sata channel.

loads of forum posts regarding this, seems quite specific to asus mobos.

doing my fucking head in.

i need something that, worst case scenario, will restore my system drive from a clone or a ghost or similar, that i can boot into in case the whole os is fucked..

have ordered various bits from the internet, including an ancient cd rom drive that doesn't do dvd or burning... cost me £1.19 with free postage. lol.

might just fuck about until i find a solution. there's alwats a re-install with the slipstream, but that's a whole day down, plus another two or so retagging my music.

A new PC w/ XP on it? Why?

What format is the partition on your ghost drive? DOS can't handle anything but FAT afaik.

because win7 doesn't run about 80% of the software i use.

doesn't matter about formats... can't get ghost to run, either from dvd/cd burner on ide channel or on sata channel.

loads of forum posts regarding this, seems quite specific to asus mobos.

doing my fucking head in.

i need something that, worst case scenario, will restore my system drive from a clone or a ghost or similar, that i can boot into in case the whole os is fucked..

have ordered various bits from the internet, including an ancient cd rom drive that doesn't do dvd or burning... cost me £1.19 with free postage. lol.

might just fuck about until i find a solution. there's alwats a re-install with the slipstream, but that's a whole day down, plus another two or so retagging my music.

yeah Clonezilla would work for you i think mate, i use it for all my backups.

it's basically a bootable CD (or bootable USB if you prefer) and it'll do a complete disk clone for you. you can either have it to clone it 1:1 or you can compress it. i've only ever used it to clone a hard disk to another hard disk as a compressed image, but it's worked just fine for me.

it'll also handle pretty much any filesystem you can throw at it. it is Linux based (all runs off the CD / USB drive), so if you're a bit itchy about messing with text-mode menu prompts on the screen, then it might not be for you. but i think it's one of those awesome little tools to have

edit: best of all, it's free

similar to clonezilla: http://www.fogproject.org/

or you can just use plain old partimage from just about any linux repair cd.

if you really need to use ghost:

the ghost disk you have doesn't have drivers for your optical drive? one way would be to create a custom thumb drive with windows PE or similar with ghost and your drivers on it. It has nothing to do with slipstreaming drivers into your XP installation, since it is already installed and the ghost disc is not going to read drivers off of your harddrive. What version of ghost is it, google that and how to add drivers into the installation, or use the newer versions of ghost that let you create custom disks from windows.

yeah, but the weird thing is,it boots into dos from the optical drive, then tells me it doesn't have a driver and can't run ghost which is on the same disc/drive.

will investigate clonezilla and fogproject.

cheers guys.

yeah, but the weird thing is,it boots into dos from the optical drive, then tells me it doesn't have a driver and can't run ghost which is on the same disc/drive.

will investigate clonezilla and fogproject.

cheers guys.

Yeah that's weird, actually nevermind about fog. It's mostly just useful for pxe booting and imaging large numbers of machines.

ha.

have found hirens boot cd. it's got everything.

outstanding.

system drive cloned.

i always had trouble getting that to work properly on my netbook (using an external optical drive), cool it worked for you though.

crisis averted!

Archived