IGNORED

Dragon Age: Origins

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Mirezzi

I'm finally getting around to playing this game and I'm debating getting it on PS3 vs. PC.

I know it will run better, look a bit better, etc. on the PC, but I'd kinda like to sit on my ass and play it on the 40".

Anybody have experience playing this game on console? Does it run okay? I read that it ran like shit on the PS3 but maybe they patched it or something...

Thoughts?

If you are going to play an RPG on PS3, play Demon's Souls. PC, check out Divinity 2: Ego Draconis or something. DA:Origins is a mess. I normally don't like being a buzzkill, but that game has serious problems.

Guest Mirezzi

If you are going to play an RPG on PS3, play Demon's Souls. PC, check out Divinity 2: Ego Draconis or something. DA:Origins is a mess. I normally don't like being a buzzkill, but that game has serious problems.

Wow, Demon's Souls looks great! Thanks for the recommendation!

i can't imagine you digging into origins' story and dialogue, it kinda seems laughable when put against the movies you're usually pimping. it's got good rpg elements and the combat is very nice too though.

Guest Mirezzi

Well, I consider KOTOR one of the very few best video games ever made and I love Bioware. I *should* play Mass Effect, but FPS games on consoles are awful IMO. The controls are just terrible.

Anyway, Demon's Souls looks excellent. I think I'll try it.

I've heard such mixed things about Dragon Age and I'm a retired World of Warcraft idiot. It might feel familiar (and not in a good way).

okay first of all mass effect is not a first person shooter, second of all first person and third person shooters play just fine on console, they have evolved a lot since the n64 days

fourth of all dragon age is a great game, but play it on PC.

dragon age 2 on the other hand is a piece of garbage and you can just pretend it never existed because the story has like no impact whatsoever on the broad scale of the world and yea.. it might as well have just been a DLC campaign for the first game..

PS the problems that you would have with mass effet arent to do with controls, they are to do with the RPG elements . they are increasingly janky youre constantly picking up useless crap you will never need and you have to spend hours equipping your party members. mass effect 2 is bascialy everything good about the first game (story, characters, universe) with all the problems fixed. but its worth it to play the first juts for the story.

Well, I consider KOTOR one of the very few best video games ever made and I love Bioware. I *should* play Mass Effect, but FPS games on consoles are awful IMO. The controls are just terrible.

Anyway, Demon's Souls looks excellent. I think I'll try it.

Prepare to be bum raped by this game.

The story is nearly non existent, but the game play, difficulty/reward balance makes up for it. I don't know The Overlook personally, but gathering from his posts (mainly about film), that might be just right for his sensibilities, simply because it focuses a very well executed game, great atmosphere, and some seriously nerdy dungeon crawling.

I played Dragon Age: Origins on my PS3. Had a nice run of it. Sure, I would recommend it. And yeah, if you get Demon's Souls, prepare for a really, REALLY hard game, so I hear. Another RPG you could consider is Two Worlds 2. That is if you don't mind crappy character names and crappy voice acting. And it lags in some spots on the PS3 as it was just ported over. But it is a decent RPG, it's keeping me tied over until Dungeon Siege 3 anyways.

As for Dragon Age 2: I had fun playing it. It's not as bad as Maximus Mischief makes it seem. The final boss battles were epic.

Guest Mirezzi

Mass Effect is not a FPS, strictly speaking, but its controls most certainly are...aiming a gun with a control pad sucks ass.

Either way, I'm excited for Mass Effect 2 because I never got far enough into Mass Effect due to all the tedious gameplay you described above - equipment, etc.

can one play mass effect on a shite computer?

my comp can play Fallout New Vegas but BARELY...its slow as shit....Mass Effect is quite a bit older, right?

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Mass Effect is Unreal 3 engine (which scales really really well if you have a mediocre graphics card, doesn't need the meanest CPU ever etc.)

I really don't understand why people go yeah I would play it on my PC but I wanna kick back with my HDTV... You can move your computer into your living room, plug in the dvi, vga or hdmi into your HDTV and plug in a controller or mouse and keyboard reclined on the chill pill nearly as fast as with a console.

how is demon souls for story/characters ? i havent heard much about it other than that its really really really hard

It has characters and optional dialogue, but it is few and far between but there is enough that a devoted player can piece together a little history about what is going on. The atmosphere is really the main draw aesthetically to me. It is a really rewarding game. It's not very hard, just frustrating, mainly when you get far into a level and lose concentration and just die, lose all of your souls(basic currency/XP for buying items and stats), not as big of a deal as it sounds though, you can always get new souls and if you get back to them without dying they are added back into your count. Basically, the actual combat and blocking isn't as hard as it sounds, but the game makes a point of punishing slip ups, you lose a lot of HP when you get hit, it is not uncommon to be taken out with a 2 hit combo even after your character gets powerful, so keep your shield out at all times!

Mass Effect should run better than New Vegas yes.

Demon's Souls is indeed very, very good and the controls are perfectly tailored for a controller. Good challenge, hard punishement for failure, some of the best action RPG combat I've seen. It also has some unique multiplayer features which I quite enjoyed.

I'd skip Origins Dragon Age 2. Not worth it. First one was good but consoles got a really bad port.

I'm finally getting around to playing this game and I'm debating getting it on PS3 vs. PC.

I know it will run better, look a bit better, etc. on the PC, but I'd kinda like to sit on my ass and play it on the 40".

Anybody have experience playing this game on console? Does it run okay? I read that it ran like shit on the PS3 but maybe they patched it or something...

Thoughts?

I played 360 version. Wasn't designed to be played on console. Minus in the fun department when your character runs up to an enemy (taking the long route) and continues to attack after pressing attack once.

Archived