IGNORED

I need to get some good folk.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judee Sill is my 60's folkie crush at the moment. Check out "Jesus Was a Crossmaker"

:cerious:

:mcgriff:

This is Ganus's lady-- I made an account and then it told me I wasn't allowed to view anything, otherwise I'd be posting from there.

Thank you everyone for all your recommendations! I'm working on listening through all of them. My first show was on Monday the 30th and it went quite well-- I used two songs I found on the first page of this thread: the fleet foxes' song and bowerbirds' song. I'll be coming back here as I work on my next set for Monday the 6th.

If she's already versed, she probably knows all about Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Iron & Wine, but I'll just throw em out as a reminder :)

Yes. :> I decided against Iron and Wine last week, however, because I thought it was too obvious... I still like them all the same, though!

Here's the playlist I ended up with on Monday:

1. Bottle Rockettes - Peter and the Wolf

2. Golden - My Morning Jacket

3. Seba - Leafcutter John

4. Morning Glory Cloud - DM Stith

5. Three Questions - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy

6. There Will Come Soft Rains - Dead Heart Bloom

7. Escape Artist Blues - Eef Barzelay

8. Decatur, or, Round of Applause For Your Stepmother! - Sufjan Stevens

9. I Love How You Love Me - Jeff Mangum

10. Pretty Girl From San Diego - The Avett Brothers

11. Closing the Doors - Caroline Smith and the Good Night Sleeps

12. William - Sibylle Baier

13. White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes

14. In Our Talons - Bowerbirds

15. Stampede Me - Daedalus

16. The Earthquake of '73 - Fruit Bats

17. Moon Shake - Leafcutter John

and http://www.mediafire.com/?gatexaa0l28ftoa there are the songs if you want them.

If you're interested in listening, we stream live at www.wiux.org out of Bloomington, IN. I'm on Mondays 4 pm EST (9pm GMT) to 5p.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!! I promise to check them all out.

Awesome :emotawesomepm9:

I don't know if these guys are technically folk or not, but I think that they might fit in a folk-heavy line-up...

I fucking love this group. They are perfect music for road trips.

Andrew Jackson Jihad!

:beer:

I've hijacked his account again--

@Tauhid- I really liked that John Fahey song, and might use it sometime :>

@Keltoi- Coincidentally, I added the original version of "You Are The Blood" by Castanets (here) to my playlist last night-- This is a pretty neat cover of the song though! I ended up replacing the song with this one instead. I really like that compilation you posted- I'd never seen it before! Grizzly Bear is always fun. Might be using that one you posted :> Thank you!

@MortstoX - That Great Lake Swimmers song is so lovely! Thank you for the recommendation! Fun fact- Songs: Ohia are on a label (Secretly Canadian) out of my town, so we get to see Jason Molina around here fairly often. He's so good. (Okkervil River are also signed in Bloomington). And that song by Tunng is really cute :}

@Jefferoo- Thanks for your post- This MMJ song is really lovely. I'd never heard it before and I consider myself an adoring fan.. And my dad would be proud of you for recommending Donovan, hahah. He is definitely an OG. Also Andrew Jackson Jihad are so awesome! I hadn't heard them before either (ALSO on a label in Bloomington- a punk label called Plan-It-X. What a small world!). I'll see if I cant fit them in someday :)

@Kaini-- aw....

@Braintree- I've never heard Everisles before, thanks for the heads up :] I'm checking them out more..

@Michael Jackson- that song is really nice, but who's it by? Also, I have that Bright Eyes album, but I'm leaving it out for now because it's a little heavy on the country influence. I'll probably have to use it at some point as I run out of folk music... It's really good though-- my favorite Conor Oberst.

God I'm so tired. I'll catch everyone else's posts tomorrow!

@Michael Jackson- that song is really nice, but who's it by? Also, I have that Bright Eyes album, but I'm leaving it out for now because it's a little heavy on the country influence. I'll probably have to use it at some point as I run out of folk music... It's really good though-- my favorite Conor Oberst.

it's a cover of tim hardin's "london town" by donovan

yeah you're right about bright eyes, i have trouble distinguishing between country and folk music...

can't be, um, "arsed"? is it? whatever . . . to look up youtubes, but anything by the Waterson's, anything by Martin Carthy (particularly his first two albums and his version of "famous flower of serving men" from the steeleye span "alone and in groups" album is amazing. the bright phoebus album is good as well, but i'm more a fan of their super traditional stuff. good luck with the show. oh, also, the "imagined village" comp is great and contains one of my favorite songs "cold haily windy night"

edit: spleling. damn

it's a cover of tim hardin's "london town" by donovan

yeah you're right about bright eyes, i have trouble distinguishing between country and folk music...

It's alright!! There's a really fine line between the two, and I really like that album, so I definitely don't mind dipping into it. Sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing "folk" from "acoustic." Especially when I'm tired and desperate.

-JR

@Keltoi- Coincidentally, I added the original version of "You Are The Blood" by Castanets (here) to my playlist last night-- This is a pretty neat cover of the song though! I ended up replacing the song with this one instead. I really like that compilation you posted- I'd never seen it before! Grizzly Bear is always fun. Might be using that one you posted :> Thank you!

:beer:

Archived