IGNORED

Linux Discussion Thread

Bubba69

Guest hahathhat

i should note, i don't use linux in the studio. it's more for web machines, servers, and nerd shit.

it's actually good for grandma at this point, if you occasionally swing by to run software update. if you're a hardcore PC gamer, well, linux is not going to be for you. for the next ten years, if not forever. but maybe, you could install linux on your old computer (the one too slow to run new games) and use it to serve video to your xbox.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

I use Slackware because I always have done. Know how to configure it. Like its right on the metal feel. I did try Ubuntu unity though. It's nice if you basically want to use Linux without bothering too much about learning Unix.

I used to love Linux in the late 90s, early 2000. Then Windows was a complete nightmare, crashes etc. Now Window is a lot better, the only thing Linux has going for it is increased security. In general, I mean. I use Linux now because I'm hella more productive using the DWM window manager.

That's about it really. I can get all the other unixy tools on windows with cygwin. When I had a Mac I loved that. Its unix system was adequate, as long as you weren't relying on too much internal compatibility. I guess I'm only using Linux for increased security and DWM now.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

Oh, I forgot speed. That is one thing Linux excels in comparison to the horrific slow down to a crawl that Windows tends to encounter should you have the temerity to install more than 4 fucking applications. OS X is a bit of a joke in that respect, too, and you have to sell your children into clutches of a band of psychopaths living out of Mt Doom to buy any of their cunting hardware.

I thought the whole appeal of Linux machines was trying to get them functional in the first place.

I mean they can't do anything anyways, so you might as well spend all your time trying to recompile the kernel to get your Blu-ray drive to work.

Yeah, I have a couple old machines with linux installed (one ubuntu, one redhat) but I don't even fuck with them anymore. I don't have enough space to put them anywhere so they just sit in the garage...

I like Arch Linux a lot, my soundcard isn't supported though so I dunno right now.

doing a Linux From Scratch is still on my list of things to do.. build a nice studio system with it, but it still lacks software components and I don't want to go the Wine route.

Your sound card isn't working in arch out of the box, or just no supported by the kernel in general? I have some experience getting studio software working in wine with realtime kernels, jack, and wineasio. I've gotten things to work pretty well, but it still isn't as good as native asio.

Your sound card isn't working in arch out of the box, or just no supported by the kernel in general? I have some experience getting studio software working in wine with realtime kernels, jack, and wineasio. I've gotten things to work pretty well, but it still isn't as good as native asio.

it's a Novation Nio, USB.. no support in general. but it's alright, I have my onboard card if I want to play around. if I ever get big plans for Linux then I'll probably get a proper soundcard for it beforehand.

you know of any drivers? I really don't want to go the wine route..... I read about something similar, using Windows drivers via a wrapper in linux for your wifi stick, man how can that possibly be a good idea??

• 7 years later...

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190517000378

The government will switch the operating system of its computers from Windows to Linux, the Ministry of the Interior and Safety said Thursday.

The Interior Ministry said the ministry will be test-running Linux on its PCs, and if no security issues arise, Linux systems will be introduced more widely within the government.

20190517000570_0.jpg

(Yonhap)

The decision comes amid concerns about the cost of continuing to maintain Windows, as Microsoft’s free technical support for Windows 7 expires in January 2020.

The transition to Linux OS and the purchase of new PCs are expected to cost the government about 780 billion won ($655 million), the ministry said.

Before the government-wide adoption, the ministry said it would test if the system could be run on private networked devices without security risks and if compatibility could be achieved with existing websites and software which have been built to run on Windows.

The ministry’s digital service bureau chief Choi Jang-hyuk said the ministry expects cost reductions through the introduction of the open-source OS and also hopes to avoid building reliance on a single operating system.

Archived