IGNORED

Are you a burger lover?

pabs

Guest theSun

do you guys have 5 guys burgers out west?

no, they don't go far off the east coast as far as i can tell. i've only seen 5 guys in baltimore and philly areas. 5 guys is fucking great though

edit - goddammit i wish 5 guys replaced every mcdonalds/bk/wendys

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avocado and Habanero sounds like a good combo. I'm not sure I'll like the Habanero flavor in combination with the meat though. But I love cooking chili with three to five Habaneros for the whole pot, so I guess I will. Honestly, I never managed to get the patty right when I made burgers. You don't add anything but salt and Habanero? Was that what I did wrong, tried adding too many spices? :blink:

Do you use a yellow or a red Habanero?

I use yellow. Haven't tried red ones....how do they compare?

If you get really good quality meat, I think all it needs is salt and habanero. The quality typically speaks for itself, you usually don't need anything too insane in it. The bacon, avocado, and aged cheddar add a lot of interesting flavors as well...

I'm always open to tips though, so if you find a way to spice the meat that works, let me know! I'm always trying to improve. The bottom line will always remain...if you get good meat and don't overcook it, it will taste good regardless.

seems like a good place to spam my patented black puddin burgers

kaini's blackpuddinburgers

ingredients

minced beef steak

breadcrumbs

an egg

a big mild chilli

an onion

a decent chunk of black pudding

a clove of garlic

oregano, basil, and black pepper

method

blend all ingredients. up to you if you want a fine dice or a coarse one. form into burger shapes. dust with flour if they're a bit gooey. fry like the wind

black pudding is a sausage made from pig blood, pork fat, and oatmeal. it tastes liek fuckin awesome and makes you into a warrior.

Can I make this but use ghost peppers instead of pussy habaneros?

where you get those insane bastards? I've always wanted to try one.

btw, the best burger blog in the world is without a doubt http://aht.seriouseats.com/

kenji lopez-alt is a fucking scientist and an artist

how to make an in-n-out burger at home: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/07/the-burger-lab-how-to-make-an-in-n-out-double-double-animal-style.html

how to make a better big mac at home: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/05/the-burger-lab-building-a-better-big-mac.html

Avocado and Habanero sounds like a good combo. I'm not sure I'll like the Habanero flavor in combination with the meat though. But I love cooking chili with three to five Habaneros for the whole pot, so I guess I will. Honestly, I never managed to get the patty right when I made burgers. You don't add anything but salt and Habanero? Was that what I did wrong, tried adding too many spices? :blink:

Do you use a yellow or a red Habanero?

The red one's aren't as good. They're just the same thing with less flavor and more hotness. Pretty pointless, I try to avoid them. Where you'd normally use three yellow ones, you can only use one red one to get to the same level of hotness, hence the reduced flavor. The only good use for them is if you dry them and make them into a powder imo. Yellow ones are best.

Have you ever seen green ones? I found them at an Indian supermarket and got all excited, but they're a complete letdown. They're just not ripe, barely hot and taste like raw celery or something. Not worth it.

black pudding is a sausage made from pig blood, pork fat, and oatmeal. it tastes liek fuckin awesome and makes you into a warrior.

I am convinced this shit and Leberwurst are the reason I am 2 meters tall. I ate this stuff like mad as a child.

Me too, although I doubt they will have such a unique taste like the Habanero. I choose eating pussy over eating ghosts.

You think anyone else ever said that last sentence before? :unsure:

im salivating stupid hard right now

yea no doubt. I have never had an in-n-out burger before. that's why I was asking about 5 guys burgers and fries on the west coast. there has been an explosion of burger chains here lately with 5 guys, smashburger, zinburger, elevation burger and Bobby (flay's) burger palace and I'm curious to how it compares.

I want to quit the design world and open the first in-n-out burger on the east coast.

kenji lopez-alt. i tried to add him under inspirations on facebook, but no pic :(

I want to quit the design world and open the first in-n-out burger on the east coast.

the in-n-out chain is family owned and very, very anal about the quality and freshness of their ingredients. ie best of luck.

kenji lopez-alt. i tried to add him under inspirations on facebook, but no pic :(

the in-n-out chain is family owned and very, very anal about the quality and freshness of their ingredients. ie best of luck.

I know, it's just a pipe dream. I really want to open a gourmet hot dog shop though. I have a true love and infatuation with the Chicago hot dog. I'd like to offer an authentic version here along with different styles of dogs like ny style, a Mexican version, etc. I have a whole menu planned and logo designed. all I need is money, restaurant experience and a set of balls.

I know, it's just a pipe dream. I really want to open a gourmet hot dog shop though. I have a true love and infatuation with the Chicago hot dog. I'd like to offer an authentic version here along with different styles of dogs like ny style, a Mexican version, etc. I have a whole menu planned and logo designed. all I need is money, restaurant experience and a set of balls.

Open a Portillo's on the east coast...

http://www.portillos.com/store/index.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=25

portillos.jpg

... and I'll open a Shake Shack on the west coast...

20090821-doubleshackburger.jpg

im salivating stupid hard right now

yea no doubt. I have never had an in-n-out burger before. that's why I was asking about 5 guys burgers and fries on the west coast. there has been an explosion of burger chains here lately with 5 guys, smashburger, zinburger, elevation burger and Bobby (flay's) burger palace and I'm curious to how it compares.

i'm not familiar with any of those joints but here in seattle there are a lot of awesome local burger spots. this one in my neighborhood is mmmmmmmmmm wtf how'd that get so good: Lunchbox Laboratory. i mean look at the build-it-yourself menu: http://www.lunchboxlaboratory.com/menu/LBL-menu.pdf they have "dork" patties (duck & pork)

stupid hard, that's what i am

portillos.jpg

oh man Chicago Italian beef makes me so happy. ok jefferoo, you're on. we will split it all down the middle.

also I don't mean to derail this thread, I do plan on making this habanero burger. is 1 pepper per burger too hot for the general masses? I'm a hot sauce/hot pepper/heat guy but my wife is not as much so. also, that cheddar is pretty specific but I'm assuming as long as I use a decent cheddar and not a mass market one I should be ok no?

edit: that place looks epic luke

portillos.jpg

oh man Chicago Italian beef makes me so happy. ok jefferoo, you're on. we will split it all down the middle.

also I don't mean to derail this thread, I do plan on making this habanero burger. is 1 pepper per burger too hot for the general masses? I'm a hot sauce/hot pepper/heat guy but my wife is not as much so. also, that cheddar is pretty specific but I'm assuming as long as I use a decent cheddar and not a mass market one I should be ok no?

edit: that place looks epic luke

aged cheddar for the strong taste...any will do really, the one I posted is the one I mostly use. 1 pepper is good if you love spice...for somebody that can't handle it too well, maybe a half habanero will do. it's all relative...I use maybe 1.5 habaneros when I make it for myself for just 5.3 ounces of meat (i tend to make smaller), so it's really up to how much heat you can handle...

black forest bacon is a must though...it's the greatest thing in the world! Oh, and don't forget to vote...thanks! :)

Avocado and Habanero sounds like a good combo. I'm not sure I'll like the Habanero flavor in combination with the meat though. But I love cooking chili with three to five Habaneros for the whole pot, so I guess I will. Honestly, I never managed to get the patty right when I made burgers. You don't add anything but salt and Habanero? Was that what I did wrong, tried adding too many spices? :blink: Do you use a yellow or a red Habanero?
The red one's aren't as good. They're just the same thing with less flavor and more hotness. Pretty pointless, I try to avoid them. Where you'd normally use three yellow ones, you can only use one red one to get to the same level of hotness, hence the reduced flavor. The only good use for them is if you dry them and make them into a powder imo. Yellow ones are best.Have you ever seen green ones? I found them at an Indian supermarket and got all excited, but they're a complete letdown. They're just not ripe, barely hot and taste like raw celery or something. Not worth it.
I am convinced this shit and Leberwurst are the reason I am 2 meters tall. I ate this stuff like mad as a child.
Me too, although I doubt they will have such a unique taste like the Habanero. I choose eating pussy over eating ghosts.You think anyone else ever said that last sentence before? :unsure:

I've actually only had ghost peppers as an ingredient-- never come across them whole myself*. There's a "Mrs Renfros" Ghost Pepper salsa, and the ghost peppers are about the second to last ingredient on the list, and it's pretty intense.

*Although one time my girlfriend made this salad with an "interesting" looking pepper she came across and it was literally too hot to eat. She put a veritable shit ton in the salad, too. I mean, it was fucking painful. Never got an ID.

You need to put a fried egg on it.

You need to put a fried donk on it.

You need to put a fried egg on it.

words from a wise person.

went to this place called white manna in new jersey this past weekend with my girlfriend—no frills mini burgers with sauteed onions and american cheese. real shit:

whitemanna.jpg

although one of my favorite burgers (i'm talking top ten, i'm too young to pick a true number one yet) was the kitchen sink at ted's montana grill:

bison burger

bacon

ham

fried egg

onion

cheese

258109870_d3192b3b74.jpg

SLAMMIN

Archived